Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 21, 2009 11:53 |  #2851

cicopo wrote in post #8865982 (external link)
They are posing for the pro who was paid a bit more than I think he was worth, (like at least double) and who didn't like anyone in the same area as he was. He was shooting with 2 1D3's and a couple of short non Canon primes which kept him right in front of them the majority of the time. It was almost impossible to shoot them straight on, and in actual fact I was the one who staged the set of photos at the arbor, but since he was the paid pro he decided to push his way in as though it was his duty. When the wedding ended they all marched into the building, and the pro was content to leave it at that, but I wasn't so I had them come back outside before either the light faded, or it rained, which was the main weather forecast for that WEEK. We got lucky & it held off for a couple of hours until dark, but it did come down very heavily later.
I get to see just how the pro did in a few days, but I know the stepdaughter isn't too happy with the samples she's seen. He wanted to just take photos on the fly as an observer & had no intentions of staging pose style photos even though he had been told she wanted several. His people skills need a lot of work, because his frustration came out several times when asked for family photos of the different groups she wanted taken as groups. I understand that the paid pro needs room & control, but they also need to do as asked by the person paying the bill if at all possible, and be polite about it. This is the first pro I've met that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.

Yeah, I hear you! ;)

That's why I shy away from doing weddings all together...too many personalities involved and only one opportunity to get things perfect.

I know a couple of local wedding shooter pros and they have way too many horror stories about impossible expectations that their clients have and then refuse to pay when they don't like how they looked in the pictures.

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

sponsored links
The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 21, 2009 12:03 |  #2852

cicopo wrote in post #8866024 (external link)
This really doesn't belong here but I'm not getting much help in the right area so is anyone here using an Epson R2880 or one of it's predecessors as their photo printer? I'm in the market for a dedicated photo printer & this is the one at the top of my list right now. I was using an HP 1000 for many years but it's now having several issues, so I bought an Epson Artisan 800 as my business "all in one" but I far from satisfied with the photos from it compared to what I've seen from the R2880. It does fine for insurance appraisal photos or a few job photos a customer may request while I'm restoring their car but that's about it. Compared to what I could do in my darkroom years ago I think I need a dedicated photo printer & higher grade paper than I've been using.

I was considering the Espon when my last printer starting acting up but I had read a few stories of roller lines showing up on the Epsons and opted to just go with another HP. I got the 9800 which is a budget 13x19 printer that can do border-less prints up to that size with very nice results. It eats ink like there's no tomorrow but at $299 for the printer, it still seems to be a good choice money and quality-wise. I use the Canon PP-201 glossy II photo paper with it.

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 21, 2009 12:12 |  #2853

I've had a Canon Pro9000 (mk 1) for a while now, and it does it's job well. Though, for some reason, it doesn't really use the R&G ink tanks, so when I buy a set, the R&G just sits there. I've used it to print full-bleed 13x19's, with no hiccups, as well as 11x14's, 9x12's, etc. Works pretty well, and it's 'almost' 100% color matched to my monitor...so, I'm happy with it. I don't fiddle with the settings any more... :lol:

I've heard good things about the Epson, but, they seem to go wacky after a while, which is why I stayed away, when making the purchase a year or so ago. ;) But, they can print larger, and can accept rolls of paper, whereas the 9000 can only print 13x22 as the largest size. :( Wish it accepted rolls, but, no such luck.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

cicopo
Goldmember
3,492 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 21, 2009 12:23 |  #2854

The pro that shot the wedding & early part of the reception may have been a great photographer but I don't think weddings are his thing. He was the partner of the pro my stepdaughter was referred to by the management where it was held ( a popular & worthy local hot spot for events). The business owner (female) had another event at the same facility (it's got 3 different areas for events) so she offered up her partner as the shooter until her event ended, and then she was supposed to join him so there would be 2 pros on duty. Well as soon as she showed up he left, but it was obvious that she was much more a wedding photographer than he was. She stole the bride & groom away just as the meal was about to be served because the sky was very interesting & the light was just right, and her shots are great. Once they came back in she also did the kind of staged shots most wedding photographers do, and again the talent showed she was far more into weddings than he was. The other big difference between them was that he was a natural light ONLY shooter, while she shot both natural light & with a diffused flash using that I think was a Gary Fong Cloud sphere. Her on line samples are far more creative & much more appealing.
As for shooting weddings, I agree it's a tough field to always please people. I supplied my gear many years ago to a friend plus helped in the darkroom for many hours and it was time consuming for sure, plus the pressure to get right at the time because you only get 1 chance. I did the video of it, my friend shot it, and we both did it for free but it still ate up a lot of hours before it was all done.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 21, 2009 21:15 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #2855

Took a walk this evening... light was absolutely gorgeous.

All with the 70-200L @ f/2.8

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-21_16-44-32_SwanLake.jpg (external link)

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-21_16-50-44_SwanLake.jpg (external link)

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-21_16-57-42_SwanLake.jpg (external link)

http://i169.photobucke​t.com …-21_17-14-54_SwanLake.jpg (external link)

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 21, 2009 21:38 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #2856

Nice stuff, Shea!

Were those taken with your 35L? Looks like you've got a good copy if so! ;)

Oops!

Just read it was the 70-200! :lol:

Cheers!

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 21, 2009 22:18 |  #2857

Thanks Jeff, not quite the same amount of colour that you get in your neck of the woods, but it is sure nice to get some.

The 35L is so close I can taste it - I actually held the box with my new one in it for a few seconds today, but I had to refuse delivery in order to get a refund without a restocking fee. The used one should be here early next week.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 21, 2009 22:35 as a reply to  @ sheawyatt's post |  #2858

Well, on the bright side, you'll have the same colors in a couple of weeks I guess and by then, you'll have your 35L and can capture it all! :cool:

Cheers!

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2009 11:02 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #2859

Haven't used my 100L much so I took a shot this morning from the balcony to catch the fall colors.

http://i66.photobucket​.com …efontmeister/VV​4G6585.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2009 12:51 |  #2860

So how ya likin' the lens overall, Jeff? I've been pondering it, but, don't think it's worth the upgrade, at this point.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2009 13:16 |  #2861

inthedeck wrote in post #8873374 (external link)
So how ya likin' the lens overall, Jeff? I've been pondering it, but, don't think it's worth the upgrade, at this point.

I'm likin' it just fine! ;)

About the only thing that kind of bugs me about it is how they made the barrel out of that 70-200 f/4 grade plastic...which I'm sure it very solid stuff but...it just gives an air of cheapness to the lens that is somewhat unbecoming of an L lens. Even still, every other aspect of the lens is bang on perfect! I also believe that if I had a 30MP sensor camera, this lens would still be filling up every pixel with sharp detail.

Is it worth it? That depends on your needs...although I embarrassingly didn't really need it as much as I wanted it! :lol:

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2009 13:28 |  #2862

hehe, I hear ya, Jeff. I think I'm set for lenses, for a bit. In fact, there's really not much else I've wanted to get, for a while. I'm pretty happy with my line-up...and maybe in the future, I'll find something else. Right now, I'm content. ;)

Just need to find more time to use everything. :lol:

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2009 13:40 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #2863

Yup! I'm pretty full up in the glass department too...though I have to confess, I still have a mild yearning for the new 17mm TS-E lens. :oops:

Then again, I think I need food in my fridge more! :lol:

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,579 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2009 14:40 |  #2864

Haha, yeah, those TS lenses aren't cheap. Fun, maybe, cheap, no. :(

Hopefully by the end of this year, or 1st quarter next year, I'll upgrade my machine and monitor. I've got a 24" dell which really isn't all that great. I liked my 20" better, but, the wife stole it. :lol:

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 22, 2009 15:19 |  #2865

I use a calibrated Dell 2408WFP at home that is quite good. But while it's brighter and sharper, I like the 24" CRT Sony FW900 I have at work better because the colors and black levels are more accurate and natural.

P.S. Loving those colors Cicopo, Shea and Ghost!

iLUKphotography (external link)

sponsored links

1,338,362 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.