Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 21 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 04:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My friends love these ... but

TheMaggedy
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2009 04:21 |  #1

they are not professionals. I see problems with focus, DOF, and maybe too heavy a hand in post processing. What else did I do right/wrong? These were snapped quickly while my 9 year old niece was still for a rare moment. I still see the loss of their mother in her eyes (4 months now), even while she is having a good time. Amazing what the camera captures.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

5D MkII | 5D MkIII | 24-70 2.8L Mk II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 580 EX II | YN560 x 2 | PW Plus III
http://mairimages.com (external link)

sponsored links
MelissaMA
23 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 21, 2009 09:24 |  #2

Her eyes do look sad. Sweet, but sad.

In the first, it would have been nicer if the focus had been on her closer eye, but it appears to have fallen on the further eye.

I also think the conversion is a bit muddy. Totally my personal taste, but I think with a lighter, brighter conversion it would pop a bit more.
:)

5D, 24-105L, 50 1.4, 430ex I love to use off camera, calibrated.

Binning
416 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 21, 2009 09:34 |  #3

I like the second shot. The eye closest to the camera is in focus (unlike the first shot) so it feels more natural. There is also a hint of a smile, but muted. It could use a tiny bit of sharpening and a touch up of the shiny parts on the skin. I like the color treatment.

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 21, 2009 10:09 |  #4

I like the second shot best.
In both shots and in all such shots one must be careful to avoid the distortion of shorter focal lengths.
The 35 mm equivalent focal length should be at least 85 mm for portrait work.
The formula is 35 mm equiv focal length = crop factor x actual focal length.

Another difference between these two shots is that the first shot is overexposed in the face, whereas the second shot has a better play of shadows in the fact to bring out the facial contours and enhance the 3-dimensionality.

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

gking
120 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 21, 2009 18:23 |  #5

The second shot is my favorite. I like her Monalisa smile.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi ; Canon EOS 650 35mm; Canon Zoom Lens EF-S 18-55mm 58mm -1:3.5-5.6 II; Canon EF 70-210mm 1:4; Canon EF 50mm1:1.8; Canon EF 28mm; Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro; Canon Speedlite 420 EX

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 21, 2009 20:01 |  #6

It looks like you are struggling to make something out of nothing. You crushed the blacks, desaturated the image, then added a little tint to it. All probably to try and hide other technical problems.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cute girl and cute expressions. But from a purely technical and artistic perspective there is a lot to be desired. I would keep shooting then come back with something better. Buy a longer lens (at least 85mm, but even much longer would be great) and shoot some natural light stuff of her playing. Shoot A LOT. 300 images is a good starting point for an hour of play. Then pick one or two and show them to us. Without all this post processing cover up work.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

TheMaggedy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 22, 2009 05:27 as a reply to  @ aroundlsu's post |  #7

Points taken. That's exactly why I wanted you guys to look at these, because even though my friends were raving about them I knew they had a lot of technical problems.

Personally, the photos are special as I'm the only one in the family captuing the children's journey through the grief of losing their mom. It never fails to amaze me what the camera captures in their eyes, no matter how happy they may seem at play.

Another example, taken while we were having a blast at a dog show, but the camera catches the frozen sadness.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2478/4033791249_1aceb402fb_b.jpg

5D MkII | 5D MkIII | 24-70 2.8L Mk II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 580 EX II | YN560 x 2 | PW Plus III

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 22, 2009 11:55 |  #8

That's a keeper.

The lighting on her face is a little confusing - like there must be two light sources.
Good exposure and color balance.

The look on her face is definitely "withdrawn".

Bob
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

perfeng702
298 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 22, 2009 12:01 |  #9

second shot is definitely good.

Canon 60D | Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 | Canon EF-S 55-250mm F/4-5.6 | Canon 430EX II
Las Vegas Nightlife (external link) | Homework Help (external link)

TheMaggedy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 22, 2009 12:12 |  #10

Robert_Lay wrote in post #8873052 (external link)
That's a keeper.

The lighting on her face is a little confusing - like there must be two light sources.
Good exposure and color balance.

The look on her face is definitely "withdrawn".

I probably should have used a flash, huh? We were under multiple flourescent lights inside an arena. Is there anything I can do pp to improve the picture?

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 22, 2009 12:52 |  #11

please consider all of this with a big grain of salt ...

I think it is important to realize the audience you are presenting your image to. IMO it is wise to honor the POV of the audience of non-professionals. IMO they are the real consumers of our work. If you are trying to please professionals you will find a steep curve and a small audience. That's not to say opening your vision to self improvement is a waste it's a different aspect and outcome. This is about you perfecting your vision.

end grain of salt ...

In the second image her arm detracts from her face (it's an odd graphic shape) but the portrait itself is quite nice in my opinion. I like the first one too though the clothing highlights could be reduced a bit so I can see her face better. The eye gravitates towards the brightest objects first and often these objects will compete with the real subject. The eye will try to focus on the subject while being drawn towards the brightest object. It actually creates a cognitive dissonance of some magnitude.

For the last one I am not fond of background elements being brighter than the subject. In my world I try to make sure the subject is the most prominent element in an image. If this were handed to me I would print down the background and brighten the subject. That of course is a subjective choice.

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 22, 2009 14:36 |  #12

TheMaggedy wrote in post #8873148 (external link)
I probably should have used a flash, huh? We were under multiple flourescent lights inside an arena. Is there anything I can do pp to improve the picture?

I am better at knowing what can be done in Photoshop than I am at actually doing it (except for the simplest tools).
If you are good enough at PP to darken that band of bright white background, so that it isn't the brightest thing in the scene, that would be all I think is needed. You will also find that it makes a good B & W.

Shooting under banks of Fluorescent would account for what looks like multiple sources of light. You're lucky that the color balance came out as good as it did.

Congratulations!

Bob

TheMaggedy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 22, 2009 14:49 as a reply to  @ Robert_Lay's post |  #13

You guys are truly the greatest. Patient with the newbies and willing to share your expertise so we don't feel dumb. It is *really* appreciated!

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 22, 2009 14:50 |  #14

Let me take a run at this from a different angle. Your first two images have problems, namely a lack of depth of field. You've done some stuff to them in post that crunches the blacks but its not an entirely off putting treatment. However there is something about the expressiveness of the first two that make them stronger than the third for me despite their flaws. You will get a lot of textbook advice, and you should listen to it and consider it, make it second nature to you. But that being said, sometimes you can make a better photo by using an alternate method. For instance, Bob is right that a longer lens makes for a better portrait, but you can often create more intimacy by working close with a wider lens. Sure the wide lens is less flattering, but unless I get your intent wrong this isnt just about the most flattering photo of this little girl.

binaryimages
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 22, 2009 23:17 |  #15

definitely the second shot...the contrast really gives it a great depth and 3 dimensionality (is that a word)...

5D MkII/24-70 f2.8/70-200 f2.8/85 f1.4/

sponsored links

1,598 views & 0 likes for this thread
My friends love these ... but
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.