Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
blkdogak
189 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 22, 2009 22:43 as a reply to  @ post 8876861 |  #2881

Thanks for the info, everything costs more here in Alaska.

sponsored links
inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2009 23:38 |  #2882

Here's one more, from the trip to Atlanta from a couple of weekends ago. I'm open to discussion/critique/et​c. ;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2009 23:45 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #2883

Manish, I take it this wasn't a shoot for the weekly Wal*Mart sales flyer? :lol:

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 22, 2009 23:46 |  #2884

Yeah...umm, prolly not. ;) But, it was a helluva lotta fun... :)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 22, 2009 23:50 as a reply to  @ inthedeck's post |  #2885

No doubt! ;)

So, what were these pictures for exactly? Do the models contact you, looking to build their portfolio or an agency that hires you to shoot their prospects? Sorry for all the questions but the world of G&N photography is a totally mystery to me.

Cheers!

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 23, 2009 04:27 |  #2886

inthedeck wrote in post #8874412 (external link)
Interesting. I've read some good reviews here on POTN, about another Dell monitor on the cheap. I think it was a 22" but can't remember the model number. I'll search for it later.

I haven't even begun to research, but, when time/money comes, I will start looking into a new, more powerful rig.

Nice pics, up top. That second one is cool! Completely didn't know what to expect when I started to see the bokeh. ;)

Thanx Manish!

I suspect the Dell 20" you have that you like better is the 2005FPW. That particular monitor had an IPS panel, and hence, better suited to photo editing. I still have one--all the 20" models that followed used crappier panels, and were never as good as the 2005. :(

The Dell outlet currently has a 24" IPS panel monitor right now for about $450 called the U2410. That's the one you want (other than the HP LP2475w) if you're looking for a decently priced alternative to the nicer NEC's @ $1000 or Eizo for a bit more. My dream 24" LCD would be the HP DreamColor LP2480zx with RGB LED backlighting @ around $1800.

You could get a 7D for that HP though! ;)

iLUKphotography (external link)

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 23, 2009 06:53 |  #2887

haha...M3R yeah, I wish I could afford an Eizo or a seriously high powered monitor, but, doesn't quite seem to work out in my budget. I'll be lookin' into one, soon enough...thanks for the options above.

Jeff, the pictures were for portfolio building. However, there was another purpose, for me. To build a team in that area. Clothing designer, make-up artist, hair stylist, etc. I had been speaking with Jennifer, the model in the middle with dark hair, since August. We'd discussed a shoot, for a looong time. Well, Columbus day was the time it was supposed to happen...and that's how it panned out. The team was pretty darn good...I'd say. The mua could use a bit more experience, but, she's got a good solid foundation. I also went seeking agency approval, in Atlanta, through another member of the boards here, and well, they liked my work. ;)

As for the models, yes, some contact me, some I contact. Some I charge, some I don't. Some want to work with me but if their look doesn't appeal to me, I politely decline. Some are flaky, some aren't. It's a lot of give and take, some frustration, some really cool shoots, some not so much. ;)

All in all, though...it was nice to meet up with some people from POTN (Glen, Jon, Blake), enjoy Atlanta with the wife (Acquarium and Coke factory, + downtown at night), and just to get away from home for a couple of days. I enjoyed all of it. ;)

Meanwhile here's a link to the other two pics for Reagan, the blonde model on the right. Click Here.

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 23, 2009 17:49 |  #2888

Was messing with the beta of Lightroom 3 and just processed a photo from Yosemite from last weekend. I'm impressed not only with the new sharpening and noise reduction of LR3, but the amount of detail coming out of the 1Ds II files.

This photo was originally shot with an EV of -1.5 to prevent the highlights from blowing out (EXIF included). The file came straight out of LR3 without any PhotoChopping. What do you think?

#1a. Shot with a Tammy 28-75mm @ f5.6:

IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v1/p1066049551-5.jpg

#1b. Here's a 100% crop near the center:
IMAGE: http://iluk.zenfolio.com/img/v5/p928821938.jpg

iLUKphotography (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 23, 2009 19:24 as a reply to  @ M3Rocket's post |  #2889

Nice composition, Rocket! ;)

I really like the clouds and the leaves on the water!

Good detail too!

Cheers!

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 23, 2009 21:00 |  #2890

Nice landscape portrait. :)

sidg
314 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 23, 2009 21:02 as a reply to  @ The Ghost of FM's post |  #2891

Just got my new 1Ds II unpacked, charged, and a few quick shots taken of friends at dinner. And all can say is WOW!
It will take a bit to learn all the ins and outs of operating the camera going from my 40D but it feels like I'll catch on fairly quick.
This thread is tack sharp when it comes to praising the feel and output of this camera. Thanks everyone for selling me on this camera! I can tell I'm not going to regret this one.

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 23, 2009 21:10 |  #2892

Congrats. It's a wise choice, even with older tech. ;)

versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 23, 2009 21:54 |  #2893

blkdogak wrote in post #8876948 (external link)
Thanks for the info, everything costs more here in Alaska.

I've got a good friend who used to live in Palmer, now lives in Copper Center - makes Palmer seem like the tropics ;) - beautiful place, but brutal cold in the winter. He's got kids and he told me that they only cancel school when it drops below -50 F!!

Gear List

Michael

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,575 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 23, 2009 22:37 |  #2894

^Now, that's cold. Brr...

m00g
29 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 24, 2009 01:41 |  #2895

This is a long thread!!!

However It seems there are plenty of admirers here. It seems that answers may be biased here (but I'll take the chance!).

I'm a amateur shooter, currently with a 350D and grip. My favourite lenses are the 17-40 f/4L and recently acquired 85 f/1.2L mkII. Others that I have and use are the 50mm 1.8 mkII and 100mm f/2.8 macro (non-IS).

I like landscape and portrait photography.

I feel that the 1Ds II is a natural step forward (over and above what the 5d II could offer), especially with the use of the 85 1.2 in terms of AF.

I can purchase one with 14k on the shutter ("According to the EXIF") for USD$2400 from a reputable (100% feedback, red star) ebay seller.

Is this a good deal? Should I be wary about the low shutter count (being incorrect from EXIF and not Cancount)?

Any advice would be most appreciated!!!

1Ds MkII | 350d (On Loan) | 85mm f/1.2L Mk II | 17-40mm f/4L | 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.8 Mk II
580Ex II x 2 | Cactus V4 Wireless trigger,
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,329,146 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.