Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Oct 2009 (Friday) 04:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro + FF

Dawud
392 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 23, 2009 04:30 |  #1

Hi there,
as you can see in my sig I have a 5D + 100mm F2.8 IS Macro.
I didn't had a macro lens before, so I need to learn a lot.
A few days ago I used a 40D with my macro lens and I was blown away with how much closer I could get due to the crop.
Now I want to achieve this magnification with my FF. It doesn't have to be x 1.6.
What's the best way to do this?
- Extension tubes?
Although I only see threads for deciding between ext. tubes OR macro lens
- TC?
- Other methods?

Thanks for your input ;)

Camera • lenses

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Oct 23, 2009 04:36 |  #2

The 5D and 100mm f/2.8 makes for a great macro combination. The IQ of the 5D means you can crop to 100% and still have perfectly useable images.

If you want even more magnification, then extension tubes are the way to go (I use Kenko ones).

For more magnification on top, you can add a teleconverter to the extension tubes. Be aware though, that the more "magnification" you add, you decrease the depth of field until it's only millimetres thin.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

Green_Tea
POTN Poet
645 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 23, 2009 04:52 |  #3

A full set of kenko tubes with a 100macro on a 5D will give you approximately the same field of view as the bare 100macro on the 40D. A 1.4x teleconverter will be slightly wider a 2x will get you to 2:1. I think your best bet would be the extension tubes. They will maintain IQ(unlike a teleconverter) and will give you a variable mag. because you can use just one or the whole set.

Here is where it was explained to me: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=764925

-Trevor

6D|7D| Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX| Canon 100mm L IS macro| Canon 24-70 II L| Canon MP-E 65| 600 EX-RT| MT-24EX

majipoor
82 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 23, 2009 04:58 |  #4

The Canon Life Size Converter is quite an unknown accessory but works very well. This is both a TC AND an extension tube with a high IQ. It will achieve 1.6x MM with the 100mm. And contrary to what Canon says, it will work with any EF lens.

The advantage of the TC in macro is that you keep a longer working distance with the subject.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 23, 2009 06:47 |  #5

If you just crop down the 5D image to the same angle of view you will have a 5 megapixel image that is otherwise identical to the 40D. Try upres. to make that 5MP image print at ~240 dpi for the print sizes you have in mind and see if that is adequate.

If not....buy a used 40D or even cheaper, a used XSi.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

851 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro + FF
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.