Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 13:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

For those who have been to DC.

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,436 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 23, 2009 07:36 |  #16

Just Be wrote in post #8873695 (external link)
What lenses did you find the most and least useful in Washington DC.

I have a 17-55, 10-22 and a 70-200 2.8.

We will be there for 10 days and plan on seeing as much as possible.

Of course I'd like to bring at least two of them, but this is a vacation and not just a photo shoot.

Take all three if you can. If not then take the 10-22MM and the 17-55MM.

Be sure and visit the Air & Space Annex at Dulles AP. You will have a blast there with the 10-22MM! There is a B-29 (the Enola Gay), a Connie Tri-Tail, a Pan Am Clipper, a German Tri-Motor, a complete Space Shuttle (the Enterprise), a SR-71 (Blackbird) just to name a few. UWA heaven for sure :)

Jim -- I keep the Leica D-Lux 7 in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L, Leica D-Lux 7

sponsored links
Patriotic1
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 23, 2009 08:27 |  #17

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8876891 (external link)
I once got to see the Capitol Police office in the 3rd sub-basement of the Capitol for using a tripod on the grounds.

(It was just to get a permit then all was good...)

I do know that tripods are a no no at the Air & Space Musuem and probably all Smithsonian branches. A monopod though is OK out at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles.

Yeah, I've lived here in the DC suburbs for 30+ years and I've been told more than once that the police around the grounds of the capitol building are pretty strict about tripod use... (but they are primarily trying to stop commercial photographers). In general, the police and USS (uniformed secret service) will often stop you as well if you are around a security sensitive federal building (which is most these days). I've been pretty lucky around the monuments though - and taken many shots (figuratively speaking) without being confronted.

The key, I think, is to choose your moment and location carefully :cool:, be quick and then move on. It's not wise to linger while you try to get the perfect shot. And you obviously don't want to set up your tripod on a foot path or sidewalk where there are many people walking by - because the police are concerned about pedestrian safety (tripping over your gear etc...) So yes, some places won't let you drop a single leg before they are walking towards you waving a finger, and some places you can get away with it if you respect public safety and are quick about it. Or at least this has been my experience.

70D | 40D | EF 24-105L | Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 | EF 50 f/1.4 | some speedlites and so on...

tomd
Cream of the Crop
13,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 23, 2009 08:29 |  #18

I'd take them all, but if you leave one home, I'd say the 70-200. It's the heaviest and also the one I used the least when I was there.

=======>>> play W.A.I.N. :D

DC9
301 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 23, 2009 10:06 |  #19

Wide and fast!

You will be vaporized if you use a flash at the National Archives where the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are kept for public viewing. The wider and faster the better in there with the 24mm f/1.4 my first choice followed by the 35mm f/1.4.

The rest of the town you could use anywhere from 14mm all the way to 400mm. I carry the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS for my travels. It takes up almost the same space as a can of Coke in your backpack yet it reaches out to 300mm. Yes it has it's quirks but I love the little lens.

mleone
788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 23, 2009 10:40 |  #20

I had a 24-105, 50mm f/1.4 and 135L in feb. But I was using a 5d.

Dont forget a good tripod

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3288449959_487c71b3d7_b.jpg

:D My goodies

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Oct 23, 2009 10:51 |  #21

Take all 3 lenses - if you've got 10 days, you'll find a huge variety of things to shoot. I was there for 2 days last month, but didn't have much time to do any sight-seeing. Otherwise, I'd have a large pile of images to share.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

irispatch
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 23, 2009 11:33 |  #22

annother suggestion is a pacsafe to put over your camera bag or back pack should you choose or need to leave it in the car/hotel. It is slash proof and can be locked to an inmovable object. not totally fool proof but enough to discourage the average grab and run thief.

Canon 50D, Canon 100mm f/2.8 IS L, Canon 20-35mm f/2.8L, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS and Kenko 1.4 TC :lol:
Gitzo G2228 with a Markins Q3, and assorted gadgets. :)
The Iris Patch

Just ­ Be
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 23, 2009 11:50 |  #23

irispatch wrote in post #8879787 (external link)
annother suggestion is a pacsafe to put over your camera bag or back pack should you choose or need to leave it in the car/hotel. It is slash proof and can be locked to an inmovable object. not totally fool proof but enough to discourage the average grab and run thief.

Thanks. Yes I have one. Very cool

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 23, 2009 13:05 as a reply to  @ Just Be's post |  #24

All three. Really.

randomlinh wrote in post #8875740 (external link)
I was told almost anywhere around the monuments/parks you cannot have a tripod w/o a permit. Though, how enforced this is I'm not sure, but this was told to my cousins photography class when they had a DC assignment.

Just don't look like a commercial operation. You won't be able to use them inside most museums, but around the monuments you'll generally be OK as long as you don't look like you're on a commercial shoot.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #8876891 (external link)
I once got to see the Capitol Police office in the 3rd sub-basement of the Capitol for using a tripod on the grounds.

(It was just to get a permit then all was good...)

I do know that tripods are a no no at the Air & Space Musuem and probably all Smithsonian branches. A monopod though is OK out at the NASM Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles.

True. I've used a trekking pole to ensure I made it past the building security with a usable monopod at U-H. I knew I was going to need something for the shot I wanted at 400 mm on a crop body (tail rotor control mechanism on the Sikorsky R-4 - compare it to the prototype XR-4 at the AF Museum).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 23, 2009 13:18 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #25

I used to live there. Walking around, I'd carry all but the 70-200, flash, and tripod. I would definitely carry a monopod and the widest lenses. You can use those everywhere, carry them everywhere, and not get too fatigued on the way to everywhere. Carry your whole kit if you have the stamina, but you certainly do not want to go without your widest lenses and the monopod.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Just ­ Be
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 23, 2009 13:24 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #26

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

3dog
191 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 23, 2009 18:23 |  #27

You are in luck I just got back from vacation there. I too had the same wonderings about lenses. I have to say that I did rent a Tokina 11-16 2.8 ultra wide angle in particular for the air and space museum. You need an ultra wide angle and the museums are darker than you may think. It left my camera only once while in there, but I found many uses other than the air and space for the ultra wide angle through out the trip. It's a must buy now. I also took my 17-55 2.8 again its darker than you think and 100-400 IS for posing the family outside with the capitol or some monument in the background. My pack was 17 pounds, but the pictures I got make it well worth some discomfort. I think that your choice of lenses should work good for you. Have a great time and the sculpture in front of the American History Museum turns slowly and can frame the Washington Monument for a great picture. You'll see.

Maxdave
Goldmember
1,162 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 24, 2009 08:00 |  #28

I spent a week there back in the spring. I concentrated on outside shots, few interiors. At the time I had a 10-22, 17-85 and 55-250. I used the 55-250 more than I imagined I would, and the 10-22 less often than I predicted.

IS is a Godsend!

Since then I have revamped my lens collection, but if I was going today, I would take my 70-200 and 17-55, my 1.4X, and then the 10-22 as my last choice. I would leave the 30, 50 and 85 primes at home.

Using a 30 f/1.4 at 1/60th wide open without IS, compared to the 17-55 at f/2.8 at 1/15th with IS, I usually get sharper results with the zoom ......

Maxdave

5D3,1D4,S90,6S&Moment Lenses,Hero4Silver,GPS​-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,​EF16-35L f/4 IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF300 f/4L IS,EF100-400L I IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,Canon 2X TC Mk II, RRS&Pro-Media L-Brackets,Manfrotto MHXPRO-3WG & Roller 50,Sirui 306&K-20,Giottos MT-7371&MH-3300,Velbon ElCarmagne 530,CamRanger,Phottix&​Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retro 20&Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar/San Disk Cards

sponsored links

2,685 views & 0 likes for this thread
For those who have been to DC.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.