Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 04:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS-shaky hands

readysetgocapture
681 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2009 04:48 |  #1

i have a question regarding IS, i wonder whether it will benifet me spending the extra or not...i read it can stop small vibration...well my hands sometimes shake not alot but i guess for refference kinda like a old person like an 80 year old when they reach for something....sorry thats the best i can describe. i get it from meds im taking for something i have. anyway its hard to be so personal but people seem nice here...so i guess what im asking is, is this shaking of the hands which i get sometimes beyond IS or will it still help me?
thanks from casey.

sponsored links
cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 04:52 |  #2

it will help to some degree. If you can, try an IS lens out to make sure.

dmccabe
205 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 25, 2009 04:58 as a reply to  @ cccc's post |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I think every photographer can benefit from IS in most situations.
It costs more. It is worth it.

Also learn how to utilize a monopod. When I first starting shooting, I didn't use a monopod ever. It was tripod or handheld. I wish someone had told me earlier how useful a monopod can be, especially if you need to recompose quickly.

IS + monopod. Go for it.

A monopod is the cheapest investment you can make to improve shakiness. And I always touted myself as being really good at handheld, for both video and still.

Canon 5D MK II | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 70-200 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm f1.2 L | Canon 580 EX II

David ­ Johanson
116 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 04:59 |  #4

It will help. You can also work on your technique. Instead of just holding the camera up to your eye, press it against your cheekbone. That will help steady it.

I own a buch of cool camera stuff...

readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2009 05:10 |  #5

thanks for the replys, as for responce, i am going to ring up my nearest camera shop and see if they alow me to go in and try a lens out...i usually dont buy from them i get my dad to pick up from the city.
a monopod is a great idea, i always am the same tripod or hand held.
yes i heard pressing the camera against your skin can help, thanks.
from casey.

dmccabe
205 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 25, 2009 05:29 as a reply to  @ readysetgocapture's post |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

I have been doing alot of casual walk around "street" shots... which I would normally do handheld. I have been forcing myself to use a monopod, and every time I shoot I am glad I have the monopod with me.

Canon 5D MK II | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 70-200 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm f1.2 L | Canon 580 EX II

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2009 05:38 |  #7

No matter how shaky you are, you'll be able to hand hold a lens with IS at 3-4 stops slower shutter speed than one without, so yes, I'd expect it to help.

When trying it out, as you plan to do, remember to half-press the shutter release and pause for a beat to allow the IS to "spin up", and then fully press to make the exposure.

readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2009 05:53 |  #8

xarqi wrote in post #8889799 (external link)
No matter how shaky you are, you'll be able to hand hold a lens with IS at 3-4 stops slower shutter speed than one without, so yes, I'd expect it to help.

When trying it out, as you plan to do, remember to half-press the shutter release and pause for a beat to allow the IS to "spin up", and then fully press to make the exposure.

thanks, i didnt know about this, i will do that.

readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2009 05:56 |  #9

i mean i knew to half press the shutter but not so to wait for IS

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,162 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 25, 2009 09:49 as a reply to  @ readysetgocapture's post |  #10

As I grow older...

As I grow older, I am losing my ability to hand hold a camera at slower shutter speeds. I used to be able to get sharp imagery with shutter speeds slower than the standard 1/FL formula, but I find that I now need a shutter speed of around 1/2FL if I don't have IS help!

I love the combination of 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS lenses because the IS helps me to attain sharper imagery. However, I am able to work effectively with my 12-24mm Tokina because I am almost always working at speeds shorter that 1/2FL.

I will very often use a monopod and have recently purchased a Calumet carbon fiber pod which is a bit lighter than my Manfrotto 681. I like the 681 but the Calumet is a real jewel and also folds down into a shorter package for traveling.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 25, 2009 10:42 |  #11

Why not rent an IS lens and find out if it helps you or not?

GEAR LIST

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 25, 2009 17:49 |  #12

readysetgocapture wrote in post #8889821 (external link)
i mean i knew to half press the shutter but not so to wait for IS

Yup - just a brief pause - maybe just 1/4 second. The worst case is to jam your finger down in one abrupt motion and have the initial lurch the IS mechanism sometimes does actually make your image worse than if you didn't use an IS lens.

readysetgocapture
THREAD ­ STARTER
681 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 25, 2009 23:05 |  #13

i just rang up my local camera shop,the lady i talked to was really nice so as soon as i can i'll go and check it out..i thank everyone for your replys oh and ill check out there monopods....i do have a cheap one but its maybe a little to cheap...because it dont feel solid.
from casey.

Gadgetholic
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2009 00:58 as a reply to  @ readysetgocapture's post |  #14

Hi Casey, mate where in Melb are you?..send me a PM with the reply. If you cant get to try an IS maybe we could meet up one day and I could let you try one of mine

1DS MKII, 30D
10-22, 50 f/1.4, 24-105 f/4
L
100 f/2.8 Macro, 70-200 f/2.8
L IS
16-35 f2.8
L II, 24-70 f2.8L
1.4TC, 580EX, BG-E2

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Oct 26, 2009 05:59 |  #15

I am kind of old and IS is essential to me for longer lenses. I have no issues with 17-40. I did have issues with Sigmas OS on the 150-500. With that long of a lens I just shake too much for it to lock in. I had to turn it off and use a monopod.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

sponsored links

1,548 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS-shaky hands
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.