Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 13:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What happens when you hit the shutter actuation limit?

Canonboi
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 13:25 |  #1

I know a lot of people around here will say, "stop worrying about it and go out shooting, have fun", but to clarify things, I'm not really concerned about it. I went over to Chase Jarvis' blog today and he's put up a video where he answers random questions. One of those questions he answered is how many shots he's taking PER DAY and he said (at least when on assignment) he's shooting literally thousands and thousands of shots, probably in the ten thousand, so it goes without saying that he's reaching his camera's shutter actuation earlier than most of us do. But for instance our limit is 150,000 shutter cycles, and we hit that, what's gonna happen? Will your camera break down? IQ gets a little funny? What?

BTW, just curious.

Gear: Canon EOS 7D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 430EXII, Kata 3N1-20

sponsored links
Rob ­ Wilkinson
122 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 25, 2009 13:34 |  #2

With Canon, when you power the body on the shutter just keeps firing. Take battery out, replace, power back on, keeps firing. You'll know for sure when your shutter needs an overhaul.

Edit: Ah, I mis-read your post. Yeah, nothing will happen specifically at 150,000. That's just how many the shutter is rated for. You might get many more before it fails.

Come have a look: http://www.resolutionp​hoto.net (external link)

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 13:34 |  #3

Probably nothing. It's just a warranty rating, like the one year warranty - what happens to your camera after one year? As I said, probably nothing. It's a peace of mind value, it's not a limit. Something rated for 150,000 is rated for lasting 50% longer than one rated at 100,000. I don't even think it's the average value if the lab environment - I would believe that would be much higher. The rating is probably like with 2 = or 3 standard deviations our form the mean.

It's like when they say milk has an expiration period of two weeks - in reality, it's probably 3 weeks or more, but to ENSURE safety, they give a much earlier date to ensure people really don't drink it anywhere close to the real average.

10,000 shots a day is huge! That's 1 every 2-3 seconds for an 8 hour period non-stop.

Shenanigans
267 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 25, 2009 13:39 |  #4

There is no shutter actuation "limit". The number of 150,000 is only the average expected lifetime of the shutter mechanism on some cameras. Some shutters will last a million actuations, others will die the same day you buy the camera.

Shoot all you want, don't worry about the shutter.

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 13:45 |  #5

Thanks for your quick response. I was just wondering it there really is something funny or, well, actually NOT funny, that's happening when you hit your camera's limit, how many times does Chase Jarvis replaces his camera. I know he's probably got gazillion of money to replace them 'coz Chase has 99 problems but money ain't one, but that's not the point. The question is how often he replace his camera in a year?

But then as you said, nothing funny will happen, then probably the "how often does CJ changes blah blah blah" question is moot.

Thanks.

Gear: Canon EOS 7D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 430EXII, Kata 3N1-20

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 13:47 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #6

Canonboi wrote in post #8891414 (external link)
I know a lot of people around here will say, "stop worrying about it and go out shooting, have fun",

Shenanigans wrote in post #8891489 (external link)

I rest my case.:lol:

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 13:54 |  #7

Shenanigans wrote in post #8891489 (external link)
There is no shutter actuation "limit". The number of 150,000 is only the average expected lifetime of the shutter mechanism on some cameras. Some shutters will last a million actuations, others will die the same day you buy the camera.

I don't even think it's the average. Like I stated above, if it were the average, then failures would be more apparent earlier. I would say any official rating is nearer to the edge of the bell curve. Maybe. Maybe they report the average to make it sound better.

Dpsteak
88 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 25, 2009 14:20 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #8

When you hit the limit your camera explodes... i think:lol:

Gear:50D; 17-40L; 400 5.6L flickr (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,095 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2009 14:21 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #9

All replies above are unfortunately wrong.

What really happens when you reach the shutter end-of-service limit is that the world will stop revolving around itself and the universe will cease to exist as we know it.

Then of course all Nikon owners will end up in a very hot place!

Anders

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 14:23 |  #10

I remember reading a thread here where someone sent their camera in for warranty service, and the tech said the shutter actuations had been reached so they replaced it under warranty. That's a lot of shooting!

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Oct 25, 2009 15:48 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Canonboi wrote in post #8891530 (external link)
I rest my case.:lol:

Your case didn't appear to be that you'd get sensible responses, so how can you rest it? It's like the lawyer in the Simpsons.

There is no "limit".

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 25, 2009 16:03 |  #12

mrkgoo wrote in post #8891685 (external link)
I remember reading a thread here where someone sent their camera in for warranty service, and the tech said the shutter actuations had been reached so they replaced it under warranty. That's a lot of shooting!

Yet I had to pay to replace my 30D shutter with only 9900 actuations...

OP, there is no shutter limit. Canon doesn't call it a limit because that's not what it is. It's the "mean time between failure." Google is your friend.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 25, 2009 19:25 |  #13

My shutter failed on the 40D with a little less than 20K clicks. Fortunately I had a 30D backup I could switch to and keep shooting the ball game. Warranty replaced the shutter at no cost to me. If you are really worried about having problems, carry a spare body with you. :-)

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

silverstar189
34 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 25, 2009 21:28 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

shutter rating is just an average....i just had a 40d go at about 50k actuations, i know of a mk2n with 310,000 on it. that's why people advise to carry a spare, as they go randomly, as i just found out :-p

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2009 21:37 |  #15

It's kind of like warranty ratings on tires. I bought some 70,000 mile tires. It is not like I will get a blowout at 70,001 miles on all four tires. The shutter/mirror is mechanical. So it will wear out. 100,000 is just the guess as to when it might wear out. Could be less, could be more.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

sponsored links

32,310 views & 0 likes for this thread
What happens when you hit the shutter actuation limit?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.