Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 Oct 2009 (Saturday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D owners: do you have focusing problems?

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,265 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 25, 2009 04:59 as a reply to  @ post 8889666 |  #76

This is very difficult to sort out in a forum like this, simply because there are so many variations to everything, and some people have slightly different wordings for the same thing as others have.

Just think about it:
The camera can autofocus in normal view (live view off) in three different modes (One shot, AI focus and servo AF) with five different selection methods for AF point (spot, single, single expanded, zone auto and full auto).
In live view mode, it can autofocus with all the modes above, plus also the sensorbased live AF, with a different moveable AF frame and in face detect AF, where the user has to move around the priority frame, if there are several faces to choose from.
I manual focus mode, through the viewfinder, the user turns the ring and either looks at the focusing screen, or relies on when the camera tells him focus is OK, in which case we involve all the focus modes above again.
Or the user selects live view and focuses manually whilst looking at the screen, which then could be magnified five or ten times, or not at all.

No wonder it's difficult to comprehend exactly what somebody else is doing, when not seeing it.

I dare say that if you want at quick inspection of the camera's focusing capability, you do like this:

1. Set to One Shot AF and set the lens to AF.
  2. Select single AF point and then select the center one.
  3. In the live view menu, select Quick mode AF.
  4. Aim the camera's center AF point at something that has good contrast and is lit by reasonably strong daylight.
  5. Enter live view.
  6. Press AF-ON or trigger half-way down (or whatever you have your 7D configured to do the AF procedure with). Wait for the live view image to return before you release the button.
  7. Press zoom in twice to magnify the live view image ten times.
  8. Now carefully nudge the focusing ring left-right to see if there's any other setting that makes things better than what the camera did.

If you want to try it again, de-focus the lens manually first, or the AF will simply measure, find it OK and do nothing.
To be simple to do, this reguires an USM lens with full manual focus adjustment.

Anders

sponsored links
thegreekM3
50 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 25, 2009 07:36 |  #77

apersson850 wrote in post #8889721 (external link)
This is very difficult to sort out in a forum like this, simply because there are so many variations to everything, and some people have slightly different wordings for the same thing as others have.

Just think about it:
The camera can autofocus in normal view (live view off) in three different modes (One shot, AI focus and servo AF) with five different selection methods for AF point (spot, single, single expanded, zone auto and full auto).
In live view mode, it can autofocus with all the modes above, plus also the sensorbased live AF, with a different moveable AF frame and in face detect AF, where the user has to move around the priority frame, if there are several faces to choose from.
I manual focus mode, through the viewfinder, the user turns the ring and either looks at the focusing screen, or relies on when the camera tells him focus is OK, in which case we involve all the focus modes above again.
Or the user selects live view and focuses manually whilst looking at the screen, which then could be magnified five or ten times, or not at all.

No wonder it's difficult to comprehend exactly what somebody else is doing, when not seeing it.

I dare say that if you want at quick inspection of the camera's focusing capability, you do like this:

1. Set to One Shot AF and set the lens to AF.
  2. Select single AF point and then select the center one.
  3. In the live view menu, select Quick mode AF.
  4. Aim the camera's center AF point at something that has good contrast and is lit by reasonably strong daylight.
  5. Enter live view.
  6. Press AF-ON or trigger half-way down (or whatever you have your 7D configured to do the AF procedure with). Wait for the live view image to return before you release the button.
  7. Press zoom in twice to magnify the live view image ten times.
  8. Now carefully nudge the focusing ring left-right to see if there's any other setting that makes things better than what the camera did.

If you want to try it again, de-focus the lens manually first, or the AF will simply measure, find it OK and do nothing.
To be simple to do, this reguires an USM lens with full manual focus adjustment.

Thts exactly what i did.And i saw a difference when it was AF through VF

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 15:03 as a reply to  @ post 8889715 |  #78

I think I am having AF focus problems with my 7D...

Anyone that has had problmes please PM me and let me know what the problem was and if and how you fixed it....

I am coming from an xsi... I would think that the 7D would be miles ahead of the xsi in focus. Wish I still had my xsi so I could compair.....

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:07 |  #79

SteveJa wrote in post #8891839 (external link)
I think I am having AF focus problems with my 7D...

Anyone that has had problmes please PM me and let me know what the problem was and if and how you fixed it....

I am coming from an xsi... I would think that the 7D would be miles ahead of the xsi in focus. Wish I still had my xsi so I could compair.....

Why go the PM route? Just post your issues here, that's what this thread is for.

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:08 |  #80

Explain the problem. My guess is you have not set a Custom function correctly.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____
My Microscope Stuff (external link)
Gear List, My You Tube (external link)
War is not about who's right, it's about who's left.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:19 |  #81

canonloader wrote in post #8891862 (external link)
Explain the problem. My guess is you have not set a Custom function correctly.

For the record, I'm still having the same issue with my 60mm macro. If I defocus it to the macro region, and then try to focus on something not in the macro region (ie over 1 m), the ALL point AF will hunt and fail to achieve focus. Sometimes with confirmation that it has reached focus, even when it hasn't.

Very reproducible. I think it must be a quirk of how the AF system and phase detect works, as it doesn't do it with non-macro lenses (unless it actually broke my 17-55 - a similar thing happened when I was using my 7D with the 17-55, and then the 17-55 simply failed to achieve focus on two bodies). It's like it wants to stay in the macro range if you start it there. Works perfectly fine in single point modes, and somewhere in between with zone AF.

If I set the focus to nearer 1m or more, then it snaps in focus quickly.

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:26 |  #82

Hmm...Just checked on my 40D, does pretty much the same thing on there, so it's not the camera. Seems like it's the nature of the lens. never noticed it before, as I nearly exclusive use single point AF.

Is it a quirk for the EF-S 60mm macro?

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:26 |  #83

I guess just use center or single point focus. Or maybe expansion? I have always been a center point only shooter, which works best for birds.

<edit> Well, that's a relief, at least it isn't the 7D. ;)

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 15:36 as a reply to  @ canonloader's post |  #84

it will take some time for me to get all the photos together and post them, but I am going to work on it.

one other thing, how do I capture the photo with the AF points showing. the only way I could think of is bring it up in DPP and print screen and past into paint. but the quality sucks when I do that.

thanks

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

OldA1
400 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 25, 2009 15:42 |  #85

thegreekM3 wrote in post #8890020 (external link)
Thts exactly what i did.And i saw a difference when it was AF through VF

Are you saying that the image appears out of focus through the viewfinder after you get the focus confirmation? And, at that point did you continue to take a picture or just assume that if you did, it would be out of focus?

I ask this because it is possible to get a sharp AF image even if it looks out of focus through the viewfinder as well as an OOF MF image that appears in focus through the viewfinder due to the diopter adjustment.

Peace
Mark

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:42 |  #86

SteveJa wrote in post #8892013 (external link)
it will take some time for me to get all the photos together and post them, but I am going to work on it.

one other thing, how do I capture the photo with the AF points showing. the only way I could think of is bring it up in DPP and print screen and past into paint. but the quality sucks when I do that.

thanks

Well, resizing images has the same effect, really. If you had to I guess you could post your standard images, and then a smaller one showing where it focused.

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2009 16:26 as a reply to  @ mrkgoo's post |  #87

one more thing. If I am just using DPP for my pictures, am I selling my 7D short? maybe my pictures are just not looking the best and a little more and or different PP would help?

thanks

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)

canonloader
Cream of the Crop
52,880 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2009 16:35 |  #88

SteveJa wrote in post #8892228 (external link)
one more thing. If I am just using DPP for my pictures, am I selling my 7D short? maybe my pictures are just not looking the best and a little more and or different PP would help?

thanks

So far, I have not seen a workflow that gives me final jpg images as nice as I got from my 40D or MkIIN. I use CS3 and I have to convert the RAW's to DNG to use them in CS3, and I have used DPP to convert the RAW's to tiff and opened those in CS3, and so far, neither had given me nice smooth images with the colors I am use to. It's early in the game though, and I expect it's mostly my lack of practice so far.

Mitch- ____...^.^...____

scottpow
80 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2009 16:38 |  #89

Like those folks here. Just as many are stating its the camera to end all cameras.

Elisha wrote in post #8842208 (external link)
DPReview is filled with drama queens. Especially ones that don't RTFM and ones that assume outcomes even when they don't own the body in question.

krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Oct 25, 2009 16:41 |  #90

scottpow wrote in post #8892273 (external link)
Like those folks here. Just as many are stating its the camera to end all cameras.

I challenge you to show me just one.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

sponsored links

61,747 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D owners: do you have focusing problems?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.