Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 Oct 2009 (Friday) 01:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G11 Photos Thread.

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 08:06 |  #61

sunking39 wrote in post #8894965 (external link)
Erik,
Be sure to trim, crop your photos so that they dont exceed 1000 points in any direction, like you did in your last photo, when posting here.
As for the pics, remember that as a rule of thumb the lower the ISO and the lower the amount of time(Tv) you use, the less noise/grain your photos will have. And also be sure to expose correctly, because underexposure also causes grain.
I see you are new to "real" photography and are only just learning to use manual, which is very good because M mode is the best mode to use if you want "perfect" or great photos, specially with long exposures. Also, remember, You are more intelligent than your camera, so don't let her choose settings if you can.
What mode did you use to shoot these pictures?
Thanks for your contribution.

I uploaded these pics using photobucket. I resized them to 1024x768 and for whatever reason, they change back moments later (sometimes, the one of "my tree" stayed... The pic of my Jetta was taken at ISO800, f/2.8 for 15 seconds. According to my light meter, it was about 1 stop underexposed. My options were to take the picture and deal with it, or raise the ISO to an even noisier level.

What I have been doing is putting the camera in M, leaving the light metering at "Evaluative", setting my f-stop and then press the * button to allow the camera to set the exposure time for me, all while leaving my exposure compensation knob at 0. In this case, turning the exposure knob to +1 (thus adding to my underexposed photo) did nothing as the f-stop was already as low as can be, and the exposure was already at a max of 15 seconds. I just ordered the manual shutter release from Amazon - hope it allows me to go beyond 15 seconds!

Canon EOS 1D III
Manfrotto 190X Pro B w/324RC2 "Action Head" | Canon 580EX II
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

sponsored links
CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 26, 2009 13:27 |  #62

Ok, am I the only one that's now tired of seeing high ISO photos? Let see some brilliant images and not just prove that the camera handle low light well. I want to see vibrant, I want to see fun, I want to see every day images!!

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

TomM1
58 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 26, 2009 13:57 as a reply to  @ CyberPet's post |  #63

See my previous post. #45

***** (external link)

jackitec
57 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 14:00 |  #64

OK Erik that one is a bit better, but I couldn't resist so had a play with it, hope you like it,

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i453.photobucke​t.com/albums/qq253/jac​kitec/VW2.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Cyberpet, when I get my G11 I'll upload some pics of sunny Spain,
Jack.

Canon 5D MkII + Grip + Canon 60D + Grip + Tokina 12-24 + Canon 15-85 IS + Canon 24-105L IS + Canon 28-90 + Tamron 28-300vc + Canon 100mm IS Macro + Canon 100-400 IS + Canon G11 + AF extension tubes.:rolleyes: and other stuff I don't use.

gkarris
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 26, 2009 14:02 |  #65

^^^ good job - how are you getting rid of the high ISO noise, is it a plug-in for the program?

jackitec
57 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 14:05 |  #66

Yes TomM1, excellent, colours, sharpness, etc. superb, can't wait to get mine

regards,
Jack.

Canon 5D MkII + Grip + Canon 60D + Grip + Tokina 12-24 + Canon 15-85 IS + Canon 24-105L IS + Canon 28-90 + Tamron 28-300vc + Canon 100mm IS Macro + Canon 100-400 IS + Canon G11 + AF extension tubes.:rolleyes: and other stuff I don't use.

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 26, 2009 14:13 |  #67

TomM1 wrote in post #8898252 (external link)
See my previous post. #45

Thank you! I was hoping to see images in this thread though. I'm a bit lazy and don't often click links. But now I did. Love your location and love the fall colors! Thanks for sharing. :)

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

jackitec
57 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 14:14 |  #68

Hi gkarris, I use Corel Paint Shop Pro 2, there are 2 settings, one called one click noise removal and the other is Digital Camera Noise removal which you can adjust depending on the amount of noise and then I resharpen a little, it only takes about 3 clicks, and I adjusted the exposure, hope that helps,

regards,
Jack.

sunking39
THREAD ­ STARTER
403 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 26, 2009 16:20 |  #69

Erik_L wrote in post #8896134 (external link)
I uploaded these pics using photobucket. I resized them to 1024x768 and for whatever reason, they change back moments later (sometimes, the one of "my tree" stayed... The pic of my Jetta was taken at ISO800, f/2.8 for 15 seconds. According to my light meter, it was about 1 stop underexposed. My options were to take the picture and deal with it, or raise the ISO to an even noisier level.

What I have been doing is putting the camera in M, leaving the light metering at "Evaluative", setting my f-stop and then press the * button to allow the camera to set the exposure time for me, all while leaving my exposure compensation knob at 0. In this case, turning the exposure knob to +1 (thus adding to my underexposed photo) did nothing as the f-stop was already as low as can be, and the exposure was already at a max of 15 seconds. I just ordered the manual shutter release from Amazon - hope it allows me to go beyond 15 seconds!

1. YOU DONT NEED A SHUTTER RELEASE, JUST SET THE CAMERA TO SELF TIMER AND STEP AWAY. The manual release itself does not allow for exposures over 15 seconds, or does it?

2. If you use spot meter and measure, say the pavement or the rims, you might get better reults.

3. If you shoot RAW, bump the ISO to 1600 and ajust exposure in post processing, you might also get better results. This as resizing can be EASILY done with the DPP software that came free with the camera.

4. For resizing in DPP (canon's Digital Photo Professional). you just search for the photo in whichever folder you saved it in, using the folder tab visible on the left. You then click on the photo. Then go to file > convert and save. Click the resize box on the bottom of the window that appears, choose 1000, save the photo using the name and location you want and you are done. You can then upload the photo to photobucket.

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 16:43 as a reply to  @ sunking39's post |  #70

I appreciate the tips. I just installed Win7 on my laptop and was missing some of my critical software. I now have CS4 installed and should meet the qualifications for future photo postings :)

Within CS4 - I do not see a good tool to remove "grain"...

Also, I have some new contributions.
f/4, 1/160, ISO80

http://i1021.photobuck​et.com …/af339/smrndmgu​y/Food.jpg (external link)

f/2.8, 1/200 ISO100 (is the f-stop the reason why the background is over exposed?)

http://i1021.photobuck​et.com …af339/smrndmguy​/Jetta.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

f/4, 1/640, ISO80

http://i1021.photobuck​et.com …/af339/smrndmgu​y/Tree.jpg (external link)

Thanks! And yes, I know I need to wash my car :cool:

Canon EOS 1D III
Sigma 20 f/1.8 | Canon 35 f/1.4 L | Sigma 50 f/1.4 | Sigma 85 f/1.4 | Canon 135 f/2 L
Flick (external link)r

geezrx
23 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 19:33 |  #71

Erik_L wrote in post #8899184 (external link)
f/2.8, 1/200 ISO100 (is the f-stop the reason why the background is over exposed?)

Not specifically. There is a high dynamic range in this picture. More than the camera is capable of faithfully reproducing at the lightest and darkest ends simultaneously.

Any or all of the settings (f/, ISO or shutter speed) could be adjusted to reduce the amount of light in the picture. Once the sky is properly exposed, the black car will likely be underexposed.

Give HDR (high dynamic range photography) a google.

geezerx G6, G11, 220EX, 270EX, AE1 Prog w/misc lenses, D60 W/misc lenses, SB600

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 19:38 as a reply to  @ geezrx's post |  #72

The only HDR I am familiar with is intentionally shooting under and over exposed photos and then merging them - the results are pretty cool.

Canon EOS 1D III
Flick (external link)r

rodclement
21 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 26, 2009 21:42 as a reply to  @ Erik_L's post |  #73

snapshot from my fish tank...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D MarkII

Erik_L
Goldmember
3,160 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 26, 2009 21:48 |  #74

Did you use the "Aquarium" mode?

Canon EOS 1D III
Flick (external link)r

rodclement
21 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 26, 2009 21:55 as a reply to  @ Erik_L's post |  #75

one more...I actually used the underwater photo mode since I have metal halide bulbs in my tank and macro focus.

rod

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D MarkII

sponsored links

411,611 views & 32 likes for this thread
G11 Photos Thread.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.