Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 14:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

thinking of switching to Mac, also questions regarding drobo

this thread is locked
psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 28, 2009 14:40 |  #1

I'm not sure if this been discussed or not. I've tried to search.

So, my PC laptop just died. Motherboard issue, very expensive to fix.

So now, I'm thinking of switching to mac.
Either a macbookpro or imac.

My questions are:
1. Will my lightroom library be compatible from pc to mac?
2. Will photoshop actions and lightroom preset be compatible?
3. How about my itunes library?
4. How about other files/library? office

question regarding drobo and external HDD:

Will Mac be able to read from my drobo and external HDD?
I know drobo need to be formatted to the right format type.
What's my options to read these files?

Thanks guys.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 28, 2009 14:44 |  #2

1. Yes; files are compatible but I'm not sure if you can just copy over the catalog etc since it has to build the previews in a certain place. Best to re-build your catalog I think. You won't lose your edits since those are attached to the RAWs.

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Depends. Office for Mac is notoriously bad. I tried iWork and didn't like it; it wasn't 100% compatible when bringing in new Docs. I settled with OpenOffice.

5. Macs can read your Windows formatted Drobo just fine. It just can't write to an NTFS volume. I don't know how Drobo works if you can copy from drive to drive within it but you'll need to backup your NTFS volume and re-format before OS X can easily write to it. Looks like there are some solutions (external link) if you want to keep it NTFS but there isn't any reason to do that if you're fully switching to Mac.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 28, 2009 14:53 |  #3

psxindo wrote in post #8912479 (external link)

My questions are:

Thanks guys.

1. Yes
2. Maybe, maybe not, depends on the action/preset
3. Maybe, maybe not, not sure how Apple does that.
4. Maybe, maybe not

5 (drobo) should work just fine in FAT32, don't bother screwing yourself over with HSF+. If it's an NTFS formatted disk you are currently using, it'll be read only in OSX unless you use third party drivers.

6 (relating to your choice): MBP or iMac will NOT prevent mobo failure. And laptop board are always expensive, and so are iMac ones (since you can't just replace it with any ordinary board). Make sure you actually need to switch or are prepared for any incompatibilities before you decide on a mac. Plenty of equally (or more) capable systems out there, and windows 7 is actually quite nice.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 29, 2009 05:17 |  #4

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes just copy your itunes library that is in your pc to the music folder on the new mac and launch itunes
4. Yes as far as office files go you may run into a few font substitutions it you don't have the same fonts on both systems but other than that you should be fine. There were some issues before Office 2008 came out with the newer docx format but no issues with the 2008 version.

If you are planning to purchase from an apple store they can transfer your data from your old pc to your new mac free of charge if you don't want to do it yourself

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 29, 2009 19:56 |  #5

Damian75 wrote in post #8916474 (external link)
3. Yes just copy your itunes library that is in your pc to the music folder on the new mac and launch itunes

If you want to keep your metadata and playlists, then you want to follow these instructions (external link).

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

mathogre
Goldmember
3,614 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2009 20:41 |  #6

Damian75 wrote in post #8916474 (external link)
4. Yes as far as office files go you may run into a few font substitutions it you don't have the same fonts on both systems but other than that you should be fine. There were some issues before Office 2008 came out with the newer docx format but no issues with the 2008 version.

While that's probably true for most things related to Office, the lack of Visual Basic for Excel in Office for Mac 2008 can be a showstopper. MS has never made the office tools fully compatible across the Windows/Mac platforms. Even now, if I need to do something for work in Office 2007 and I'm working from home, I'll connect my Mac (either of them) directly to my work PC (via Remote Desktop Connection) and use Office directly from there. I no longer bother trying to do it on a Mac and move it to the PC. I'm tired of hearing from coworkers/managers, "The file doesn't work right for me."

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Meaty0
Goldmember
3,519 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 29, 2009 20:57 |  #7

....or you can just stay with a PC and get lovely Windows 7! :D

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 29, 2009 21:05 |  #8

I would NOT buy a mac. I'm not a religious zelot, I just want to be able to use all the software I'm using, much of which is Windows only. The concept of buying a mac and running Windows on it is beyond silly to me. What it says is that OSX is not REALLY the best OS or you wouldn't need Windows. As has been said, nothing that has happened to you is limited to PCs or Windows. You KNOW everything you are currently using will work on a new Windows PC so why mess with success...

Also, I've been using Windows 7 release candidate for months and upgraded to the retail version on launch date and had no problems, even with the RC. It is a great OS. Stable, fast, and easy to use.

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

JayCee ­ Images
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 29, 2009 22:26 as a reply to  @ imahawki's post |  #9

Man, you mac haters are slacking...took more than a few posts for them to unnecessarily chime in... :rolleyes:

Nobody cares about your gear list...

MaxxuM
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 29, 2009 23:33 |  #10

psxindo wrote in post #8912479 (external link)

My questions are:

Thanks guys.

As the other said, pretty much yes down the line. I use/used Mac for Office, NeoOffice and iWork and if money is an issue then Neo Office is very good. I just didn't like it's startup speed. It's a bit bloated with older code. So, I went with iWork and haven't looked back. I'm in an nearly all MS environment and before Snow Leopard I had to use VMWare (Windows) - now I hardly every need to except to use Active Directory and then only via Remote.

iWork is very simple, very eloquent and very powerful. I have yet to open anything in Pages, Keynote or Numbers that didn't work. Some small things change, but figures, dissemination of data and graphs look about right. Keynote is my favorite. Makes Office Power Point look like it's from the stone age. Office 2010 looks to breath new life into PP though.

If you NEED Office don't get the cut down Student/Home version - go Standard, it's a better set of tools.

imahawki wrote in post #8921330 (external link)
I would NOT buy a mac. I'm not a religious zelot, I just want to be able to use all the software I'm using, much of which is Windows only. The concept of buying a mac and running Windows on it is beyond silly to me. What it says is that OSX is not REALLY the best OS or you wouldn't need Windows. As has been said, nothing that has happened to you is limited to PCs or Windows. You KNOW everything you are currently using will work on a new Windows PC so why mess with success...

Also, I've been using Windows 7 release candidate for months and upgraded to the retail version on launch date and had no problems, even with the RC. It is a great OS. Stable, fast, and easy to use.

May I ask what's silly about running Windows on a Mac? Would it also be silly to run Linux along side Windows, OS X, AIX or some other OS?

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 29, 2009 23:38 |  #11

MaxxuM wrote in post #8922203 (external link)
iWork is very simple, very eloquent and very powerful. I have yet to open anything in Pages, Keynote or Numbers that didn't work. Some small things change, but figures, dissemination of data and graphs look about right. Keynote is my favorite. Makes Office Power Point look like it's from the stone age. Office 2010 looks to breath new life into PP though.

iWork has some major compatibility issues with Office 2007 though, fonts not showing up correctly, presentation slides having garbled texts/position changes. Happens a lot more often when using non-english alphabets, but when you need to work in an Office environment, don't skimp out and go with iWork, get actual Office... And yes, even Office for mac had some issues with regular office, think they sorted those out in 2008 though.

EDIT: And it is silly for a normal person to run Linux, OS/2, or a number of other oses together with windows. Nothing against someone who actually needs it for something and knows how to use it (like i use ubuntu on a usb key to access computers all the time, better than worrying about personal data theft, great for doing maintenance on computers too). But why should a layman EVER have to have two operating systems? The entire point of most people "upgrading" to macs is that they want to make their lives easier. Second OS just to run a few programs is not easy. (at least not as easy as just using windows, osx, or linux alone)

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 29, 2009 23:55 |  #12

basroil wrote in post #8922225 (external link)
iWork has some major compatibility issues with Office 2007 though, fonts not showing up correctly, presentation slides having garbled texts/position changes. Happens a lot more often when using non-english alphabets, but when you need to work in an Office environment, don't skimp out and go with iWork, get actual Office...

This was my experience as well. Using iWork I would bring in documents from various versions of Word and be missing important features (like notations that clients made). OpenOffice has proven to be more reliable with importing and exporting Docs. I didn't feel the need to spend for Office when all I do is open and edit documents.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

psxindo
THREAD ­ STARTER
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 30, 2009 01:32 |  #13

Thanks guys for the answers.

I'm still debating on what to get... PC or Mac...
I don't want to start that debate here...

I just want to know the limitation on compatibility if I were to switch.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 30, 2009 08:41 |  #14

basroil wrote in post #8922225 (external link)
iWork has some major compatibility issues with Office 2007 though,

Office 2008 has major compatibility issues with Office 2007. I don't know about 2007, but 2008 is junk. I use Pages for all of my word processing unless have to collaborate with Win people. Then I'm forced to use Word. Keynote, OTH, is far superior than PowerPoint. Excel still trumps Numbers.

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 30, 2009 08:44 |  #15

Jeffro250 wrote in post #8921879 (external link)
Man, you mac haters are slacking...took more than a few posts for them to unnecessarily chime in... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm not a PC evangelist, I made that clear. You'll have to direct your eye rolling elsewhere.

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

5,324 views & 0 likes for this thread
thinking of switching to Mac, also questions regarding drobo
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.