Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 00:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Learning CS4

BradJohnsen
83 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 00:11 |  #1

How did everybody here learn to use Photoshop?... Classes? Mentor? On your own through books/tutorials/trial and error?

I've been looking online at tutorials which are inconsistent and full of subjective inputs which to me is not ideal. Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best and/or quickest way to learn CS4?

Thanks in advance!

5Dmkii / 50D
10-22 / 17-40L / 24-70L / 50 1.4 / 70-200L 2.8 IS / 85L / 100 macro / 135L / 400 5.6L
580exii x2 / 430ex / PW x6 / AB1600 x1 / AB800 x2 / ABR800 x1
http://bradjohnsen.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/206photog/ (external link)

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,602 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 28, 2009 00:18 |  #2

It's a huge program, so very few people know it all.

I don't know which "inconsistent/subjecti​ve" tutorials you've been looking at, but it's fair to point out that there's numerous methods to do anything in Photoshop, so you simply need to find the tutes/methods which suit you.

Anyway, I'd answer your question with another question: What type of learner are you? Do you learn best by reading, or watching, or doing?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

BradJohnsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 28, 2009 00:39 |  #3

I learn best by reading, watching, and then doing :) But doing, especially through repetition, is the best way I learn.

5Dmkii / 50D
10-22 / 17-40L / 24-70L / 50 1.4 / 70-200L 2.8 IS / 85L / 100 macro / 135L / 400 5.6L
580exii x2 / 430ex / PW x6 / AB1600 x1 / AB800 x2 / ABR800 x1
http://bradjohnsen.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/206photog/ (external link)

WMS
"Escargot on the Hoof"
2,884 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Location: California, the land of the politicaly corrupt and innept

Oct 28, 2009 01:04 |  #4

By joining NAPP http://www.photoshopus​er.com/ (external link)

That and one of those 12 step programs (for photographers) which no-one talks about.....

Wayne

I'm just a simple maker of love charms and tokens,who occasionally takes a picture or two.
Gear list: more toys than I need, Fewer than I want.

ameerat42
588 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 28, 2009 01:11 |  #5

Progressed from PS3/PaintShop Pro-just as early. Lots of similar, lighter programs, such as came with early cameras. Then PS6, 7, now CS2 and soon CS4. It's good to know something about photography, and then to see what you can do on a digitized image. As a BradJohnson said above, "I learn best by reading, watching, and then doing But doing, especially..." Hitting CS4 cold would be a shock. Am...
Oh, and PS: Read the help files - they're really good for Photoshop, even if you have early versions.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2009 01:23 |  #6

+1 on the NAPP Membership! Lots of little perks with it as well...

Dirty Little Secret: Most photographers use very little of what CS4 can actually do. But, when you need to perform pixel-level surgery, that's when you're glad you have it.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

krs2fer
176 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 28, 2009 01:36 |  #7

NAPP sounds like good online training. Does NAPP also give you a great price on CS4?

djvkool
461 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2009 02:13 |  #8

to do it for free, there is plenty of FLICKR group which you can join and learn - one of the good one is TEAM HEALING BRUSH...

other than that, I learned a lot from Magazines, Digital SLR, Creative Photoshop, and Photo PLUS are good ones, there are few other ones but those 3 are the ones I read monthly...

7D | 100 2.8L IS | 70-200 2.8L IS | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.4 | Tam 18-270mm | Tam 17-50 2.8 | Sig 30 1.4 |

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 28, 2009 02:17 |  #9

NAPP also gets you Photoshop User Magazine which (IMO) is worth the price of admission.

Has lots of the typical "Quick and Dirty" things you can do as well as a nice section each month devoted just to Lightroom.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,828 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 28, 2009 03:43 |  #10

BradJohnsen wrote in post #8908665 (external link)
Does anybody have any recommendations as to the best and/or quickest way to learn CS4?

Not really a quickest way IMO. It's a huge program with several ways to accomplish a task. The program itself has some good help files. Lots of training (Lynda.com, NAPP resources) available, plus a wealth of free info around. It just takes time to learn it.

krs2fer wrote in post #8908968 (external link)
NAPP sounds like good online training. Does NAPP also give you a great price on CS4?

15% off Adobe products. There are a lot of other discounts as well.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

psxguru
25 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2009 05:38 |  #11

www.lynda.com (external link) and www.kelbytraining.com (external link) have some great training titles, might be worth signing up for a subscription for a while?

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 28, 2009 07:36 |  #12

BradJohnsen wrote in post #8908665 (external link)
I've been looking online at tutorials which are inconsistent and full of subjective inputs which to me is not ideal.

Isn't all art subjective? And these "masters of Photoshop" have been using it for so long that how can you expect them to not have a subjective style? Explore the basics and you'll soon develop subjectivity too!

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

dchen99
860 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 28, 2009 15:00 |  #13

psxguru wrote in post #8909500 (external link)
www.lynda.com (external link) and www.kelbytraining.com (external link) have some great training titles, might be worth signing up for a subscription for a while?

Second that. You can sign up for a month or so to determine if you like it. Sometime they throw up 1-day or 1-week free promotion pass code, google it to see if there's any around.

www.flashonstudio.com (external link)

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2009 15:19 |  #14

If you just bought CS4 Adobe has a free gift promotion when you register the program. One of the gifts is one free month at Lynda.com. You can get a lot of help in one month and Lynda has dozens of different tutorials about photoshop.

col4bin
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 28, 2009 18:22 |  #15

i like kelbytraining.com

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links

2,048 views & 0 likes for this thread
Learning CS4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.