Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Oct 2009 (Sunday) 13:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cybersyncs with Genesis

jbdial1515
248 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 25, 2009 13:39 |  #1

I have a pair of Cybersyncs and a pair of Genesis 200 strobes.

One of the Genesis strobes will only fire one time with the Cybersyncs and then I have to unplug and plug back up the receiver on the strobe. It will then fire one more time and I have to repeat the process.

The other strobe does just fine.

Solutions?

Thanks

30D | Canon 70-200 f/4 L | Canon 24-105 f/4 L | Canon 580EX II and 500 DG Super

sponsored links
openedmind
152 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 25, 2009 14:06 |  #2

I had the same problem with the csr receivers. I exchanged them for the csrb receivers and they work fine. Hope this helps.

Jon

"It is much easier to be critical than to be correct."
--Benjamin Disraeli--

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,102 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 25, 2009 14:58 as a reply to  @ openedmind's post |  #3

I'm not suggesting this as a way to work, but as a troubleshooting step. Presuming you're using the AC-powered cybersyncs and not the CSRB, run separate power cords to both the light and the receiver and see if you get the same results.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

ZENGHOST
766 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 25, 2009 15:16 |  #4

Have you at least tried swapping the two receivers to see if the receiver that doesn't work on one works on the other and vice versa? If the receiver still doesn't work on the other strobe then also try swapping cables to make sure it's not the cable. Then you can at least narrow it down.

| Gear List | HPF (external link)

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 25, 2009 15:48 |  #5

Get yourself another cord. I had the same problem...I ended up fashioning myself a couple of mini to mini's out of the mini-PC's I had lying around.

The cord that was the culprit would fire one of my Genesis lights all day long, but lock the other one....so it was a bugger to diagnose, but eventually after trying the other cord all was well. I'll never know why it worked on one but not the other....

Good luck!

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 25, 2009 16:43 |  #6

Standard troubleshooting technique would be:
a) change everything from light that works to light that is failing.
if that light now fails its the lights
If the working light now fails;
b) change each item in the trigger path starting with the cable connecting the light to the trigger.
(always start closest to one end of the chain, which you did by moving everything to the other light.)
(Always use the items that are known to work in the other chain or other proven items.)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

jbdial1515
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 25, 2009 17:42 |  #7

Thanks guys. I only have one receiver, one transmitter and one cable. So I am not able to rule any of it out. At this point, all I can verify is that all will work on one strobe and not on the other. I also know that it will fire an off camera flash (sigma with adapted hotshoe with PC Cable) without problems.

I guess I will start off tomorrow by calling manufacturer of CyberSyncs to see if maybe they will send me an additional cable to test with.

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 25, 2009 18:50 |  #8

I bet they will. They sent me a new receiver the next day at no charge to test it. Their service is awesome. I don't think there is anything wrong with the cables, but its something in the combination that isn't allowing it to work properly. You may even try another companies mini to mini. If they send you the same cable then the problems might persist.

If they send you one and it doesnt work, send me a pm. I'd be glad to send you one of mine that I know works on my lights. That may help you isolate the problem. Like I said the ones I have are homemade with solder and heat shrink tubing, but they work...that may help you narrow it down.

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

jbdial1515
THREAD ­ STARTER
248 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 28, 2009 19:05 as a reply to  @ alabama1980's post |  #9

So, I talked to Paul Buff today and was told that since it worked with one light and not the other than it must be a problem with the lights and has nothing to do with their product. They did not offer to send another cable or another unit to test with.

After reading everything about how good their customer service was, I kinda expected a little more.

I guess I am going to try to get another cable between now and Nov 10th, because that is when 60 days is up for me to return w/o any problems. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

lazer-jock
Don't mess
1,557 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 28, 2009 19:17 |  #10

jbdial1515 wrote in post #8914017 (external link)
After reading everything about how good their customer service was, I kinda expected a little more.

Uh oh! You will upset the Buffites on here with words like that. I've been looking hard at either AB800's or Genesis 400's, and it seems that most of the people really touting Buff's great customer service have never had a real problem. I hope there isn't a confusion between good customer support simply native English speaking customer support in this country.

I'm off lining my cage with newspaper.
My Gear List

FlashZebra
This space available
4,427 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 28, 2009 21:07 |  #11

I seem to recall a possible incompatibility between the CyberSync receiver (possibly just the AC version) and the Genesis flash units.

My memory is not clear on all the issues, possibly some other forum member will help with additional info.

I would suggest calling Paul C. Buff's customer service and specifically indicatiog the CyberSync is being used with a Genesis flash unit.

Here are some related threads:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=669522

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=600844

Enjoy! Lon

http://flashzebra.com/ (external link)

mg550
181 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 28, 2009 21:17 |  #12

jbdial1515 wrote in post #8914017 (external link)
So, I talked to Paul Buff today and was told that since it worked with one light and not the other than it must be a problem with the lights and has nothing to do with their product. They did not offer to send another cable or another unit to test with.

I guess I am going to try to get another cable between now and Nov 10th, because that is when 60 days is up for me to return w/o any problems. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I had the exact problem with the Genesis 200/CSRB receiver setup. They sent me a replacement CSRB, no questions asked. It was in the mail the same day. The new one works flawlessly.

sponsored links

1,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cybersyncs with Genesis
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.