Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 06 Nov 2004 (Saturday) 18:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ProMaster Lens Good Quality??

gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,432 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 28, 2009 14:31 |  #16

I tell all of my students not to buy anything that says Promaster on it.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links
jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 28, 2009 14:57 |  #17

nureality wrote in post #8912386 (external link)
Vivitar Series 1 of the 70's = good stuff

You ain't a kidding. The 90mm f/2.5 macro was made by Schneider and had better contrast and resolution than anything Canon or Nikon had. It was also the first macro to have correction elements (3) in the extender to bring the lens from half-lifesize to lifesize. According to a Popular Photography review, it resolved, at lifesize, 90 lines a mm. Now that is 90 lines in the center and the edges.

Bainsworth
22 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2009 16:32 as a reply to  @ post 8911704 |  #18

Promaster has never been sold by Ritz and Wolf their house brand is Quantaray, Promaster has their own factory in China for flashes (They don't own the Factory but they are the sole customer)

LB Ainsworth
"CPC" Certified Photographic Consultant

Bainsworth
22 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2009 16:53 |  #19

gasrocks wrote in post #8912412 (external link)
I tell all of my students not to buy anything that says Promaster on it.

We to have a local instructor that steers students away from Promaster due to a bad experience with a lens 20 years ago and they are often surprised they've been encouraged to spend more on the same or similar products. Have you seen the award winning Binoculars & Tripods or used the Memory with a lifetime warranty and free image recovery. It's also notable that out of the 1250 items Promaster offers only 7 are lenses

LB Ainsworth

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 28, 2009 17:11 |  #20

I have a ProMaster TTL cord. Works perfectly and has no sign of wear at all.... well other than stuff the is my fault. I would buy it again if needed.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 28, 2009 17:56 |  #21

Bainsworth wrote in post #8913283 (external link)
...out of the 1250 items Promaster offers only 7 are lenses

It's more than 7, check their web site. I counted 15. But that is neither here nor there. Staying on subject, ProMaster lenses, have you ever seen a professional (as in makes his or her living from photography) using ProMaster? Now the Sigma fans tell me Sigma's lenses are seen all up and down the sidelines and in the hands of a PJ in a war zone. Yeah, right. But if that's the case, and considering all the Canon and Nikon lenses there (the brands everyone can ID), where does ProMaster fit? I do believe that if ProMaster lenses were even somewhat close to the big boys that we would see reviews from Rockwell, Steve's, etc. championing the great value ProMaster lenses are. If I had students, I would advise getting the same brand lenses (please, no comeback like, "Well why not the name brand filters and memory") as the camera, with very few exceptions and ProMaster is not one of them.

Bainsworth
22 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2009 19:37 |  #22

My point was missed... Promaster doesn't cater to your lens needs they make consumer lenses and I've never seen the ad from Promaster to replace your L Lens with a Promaster lens, Looking at your inventory of lenses and some of the previous posters you've bought some very high quality glass.
If I we're teaching a class to students who we have to assume aren't all going to stay with photography certainly their not all going to make their livings on pictures why would a responsible instructor encourage the most expensive lens option. I think I'd suggest a number of options like Promaster, Quantaray, Tokina etc...
My second point was Promaster has way more than lenses, I don't currently have a Promaster lens in my bag (there all L) but if I were to count items in my arsenal the Pro logo would still dominate.

LB Ainsworth

craig_xB
113 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 28, 2009 21:20 |  #23

I have a Promaster bag, it's a rebranded Lowepro, excellent bag.
Also have a very nice tripod and ballhead, and a monopod, all very nice. The best available, no, probably not, but still quite nice.

I've never had one of their lenses, but my local camera shop, carried them and he said they were very nice for the money. I'm pretty sure they used one on their studio camera with very good results.

Gear List

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 28, 2009 21:54 |  #24

I have owned a Tokina 17-50 and have used the promaster 17-50...I'm pretty sure they're made in the same factory with different badges stamped on.

jr_senator wrote in post #8913633 (external link)
have you ever seen a professional (as in makes his or her living from photography) using ProMaster?

No, but I haven't seen many using a Tamron 17-50 either. And if they did, why would someone who is trying to make money spend more for an "identical" item? Probably because not as many have heard of Promaster. I wouldn't be surprised to see a pro using that lens any more than I would to see them using the Tamron version.

jdang307
780 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2009 23:02 |  #25

jr_senator wrote in post #8913633 (external link)
It's more than 7, check their web site. I counted 15. But that is neither here nor there. Staying on subject, ProMaster lenses, have you ever seen a professional (as in makes his or her living from photography) using ProMaster? Now the Sigma fans tell me Sigma's lenses are seen all up and down the sidelines and in the hands of a PJ in a war zone. Yeah, right. But if that's the case, and considering all the Canon and Nikon lenses there (the brands everyone can ID), where does ProMaster fit? I do believe that if ProMaster lenses were even somewhat close to the big boys that we would see reviews from Rockwell, Steve's, etc. championing the great value ProMaster lenses are. If I had students, I would advise getting the same brand lenses (please, no comeback like, "Well why not the name brand filters and memory") as the camera, with very few exceptions and ProMaster is not one of them.

I don't know, is Ed Rader a professional? I only ask because while researching the promaster, I found another thread and read this:

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?p=4187093&po​stcount=37

Maybe it's not his? I dunno, I've never seen a photographer lay their camera down on the concrete like that either, but what do I know. Fact of the matter is, Promaster doesn't make their own lenses, so look to the underlying lens maker, then ask if that particular lens is good or not. For example, the promaster 17-50mm. Read reviews on the Tamron 17-50mm. That's it.

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 29, 2009 12:13 |  #26

That would not necessarily work well. Voigtlander and Zeiss are both made by Conisa, but I doubt the quality is the same.

Grudiowerx
Goldmember
1,001 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 12, 2010 00:43 as a reply to  @ post 8912397 |  #27

Heres my most recent purchase fromebay..Promaster 19-35mm,not bad..for what i paid for,its worth it..

http://www.flickr.com …/14195711@N08/4​425961549/ (external link)

http://www.flickr.com …5975373/?eOrig=​4425973321 (external link)

Canon 60D and 50mm f1.4
Canon SX130is sample here https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=15824044&po​stcount=46
Almost out from this hobby...

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 12, 2010 01:10 |  #28

I think this is the ProMaster lens in question.
http://www.promaster.c​om …ts.asp?product=​AF70300EDO (external link)

If so, it's a rebadged Tamron, I think this model.
http://www.tamron.com/​lenses/prod/70300_di_a​017.asp (external link)

IIRC from the reviews, the Tamron 70-300mm has better optics than that of the Canon 75-300mm series (arguably one of the worst lens Canon makes)

Here is a list of Pro Master AF lenses. Most seem like rebadged Tamron's and some look like rebadged Vivitars, which IIRC is made by Cosina which makes cameras and various level of lenses for various other makers.
http://www.promaster.c​om …30&SubCatID=2&s​m=sm2_2302 (external link)

Tamron's optics are pretty good in my book but each lens is different and wouldn't make any blanket statements.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,907 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 12, 2010 01:23 |  #29

Date on the OP:

6th of November 2004

(emphasis mine)

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 12, 2010 08:51 |  #30

Doesn't really matter, does it? The conversation (posts, replies) are being kept up to date.

sponsored links

35,425 views & 0 likes for this thread
ProMaster Lens Good Quality??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.