Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 22:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need some advice- suggestions for a newbie

affinitytrinity
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2009 22:51 |  #1

Everyone has to start somewhere and I'm that someone.

I have decided to purchase the 50D, but am left baffled at all of the types, sizes, purposes, brands, prices etc. of lenses there are to choose from. I'm thinking to my self, is it really this complicated? I want to get completely set up to be able to shoot a wedding and also do some portraiture on the side, I also have a fascination with insects so I will need something for that too. :D

Please can someone give me some options at what lenses I would absolutely have to have in order to succeed here, I would like to keep it simple (if possible) and I would also like my work to be very high quality from the get go. I know I'm not a professional yet but I believe the mind set "if your going to do something, do it right" Thanks in advance for the pointers !!!

sponsored links
shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 28, 2009 22:58 |  #2

Hi, welcome to POTN!

What kind of budget are you working with? If it isn't limited, I think many if not most photographers would suggest buying the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, 10-22 f/3.5-5.6, and maybe a 60 f/2.8 macro for that insect work. If your budget is more limited I would suggest going for a less expensive camera. Something like a used 20D/30D would be great.

What kind of experience do you have in photography? All that fancy equipment won't help you to make great photos if you don't know what you're doing with it.

affinitytrinity wrote in post #8915334 (external link)
I'm thinking to my self, is it really this complicated?

Not if you have a lot of money, or you're not obsessed with owning the absolute best equipment for your money. Otherwise yes ;)

colonel ­ klink
29 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2009 23:24 |  #3

Welcome. I've been here a short time but have learned a lot from others questions. Time to start giving back. I'm not new to photography nor new to digital. I am however new to the 50D. Got mine for my birthday August 24th. We just got back from a week in New York City where I took lots of pictures.

Lenses turn out to be pretty easy once you get the idea. There are lenses most people get when they buy a camera. It is cheapest the manufacturer can get away with selling. The majority of the public would be fine with any of them because they are happy with snapshots. I'm guessing $100 or so. The next step is for people who want better than snapshot but won't spend what a professional will spend. These are the Cannon's standard lenses. Look at their lenses on their website. Figure $600. The high end/professional lenses are easily identified with a red ring around the end. They also have an "L" in the part number. eg: 17-40 F4.0L. I have two, the 17-40 example and a 70-200 F4.0L. I also ordered a 50mm 1.8 with the camera so I could use the camera as soon as it arrived. It cost $99.00. The Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM costs $1,1619.00 There has to be a difference in quality or no one would pay that kind of money.

Prime lenses have a fixed focal length. eg: 85mm, the 50mm The zooms have variable focal length. The larger the lense opening eg:1.2 the more they cost. That's why both my "L" lenses are slow. When I learn to really use them I will look at faster lenses if the need arises.

You don't say where you are. I live in the San Francisco Bay area and you are welcome to come see what I have.

5DMKII, 50D, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 50 1.8, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 4.0L 430EXII

affinitytrinity
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2009 23:30 as a reply to  @ shooter mcgavin's post |  #4

Well, unfortunately I don't have a limitless budget LOL I was looking to try and spend around a grand on lenses. Thanks for your suggestions. Actually as far as experience goes I'm quite aware that "fancy equipment" won't help me to make great photos if I don't know what I'm doing with it. I knew by asking questions about lenses I would automatically be classified as a "poser" when in reality I'm more of a natural creative artistic type, who needs a little advice from a "gear head"

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 28, 2009 23:38 |  #5

this site might help
http://photonotes.org …/beginner-faq/lenses.html (external link)

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 28, 2009 23:40 |  #6

Awesome. In that case, I would suggest picking up a used 20D for about $300 here on the forums instead of the $1000 or so for the 50D. The features you'll miss will be more than made up for by other ways you could spend the extra $700.
Starting off with a $1,000 lens budget +the extra $700 you saved on the camera, a good set of lenses would be:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 ($350)
Canon 60 f/2.8 Macro ($325)
Tokina 50-135 f/2.8 ($450)

That should be a solid set to get you started. All of those prices are based on the average used prices. Lenses tend to hold their value well, and if you buy used you will almost always be able to sell it off later for as much or more than what you bought it for, assuming it's not in any worse condition.

I don't know if in your budgeting you planned on buying any lighting equipment, but if not, spend the rest left over from the camera and lenses on lights, which I realize is a totally other topic, but being able to control your lighting will improve your photos much more than more expensive lenses will.

Good luck!

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,250 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 29, 2009 07:35 |  #7

affinitytrinity wrote in post #8915334 (external link)
and I would also like my work to be very high quality from the get go

High quality photos needs good lenses, not the latest camera.

I think it is a waste of money to buy the 50D and then put cheap "consumer" lenses on it. Especially if your goal is high quality photos.

If your budget is limited, get a 20D, 30D, or 40D, and spend more on lenses.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 18-135mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sponsored links

1,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need some advice- suggestions for a newbie
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.