Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 07:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I Need Help Creating a Bridal Show Display...

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 29, 2009 07:35 |  #1

As I dig deeper into my wedding photography business, I'm starting to look into bridal shows. There are a few coming up in January and I want to start planning for them now. I have a single sample wedding album - nothing more. So let's discuss this...

1. What does a good bridal show display contain?
2. What has/hasn't worked for you in bridal shows?
3. What to expect, booking wise, from a bridal show? (ex: I booked 3,4,5, ect. weddings)

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 29, 2009 08:03 |  #2

Hot linking other peoples images onto a forum like this isn't a good idea, your using their bandwith for people to look at the pics and it could also be classed as image theft, linking to where they are hosted on their blog or website would be a much better idea.

We have just done the biggest bridal show here in the UK (3 day show) for the first time so I will answer a few questions based on my limited experience.

1. Theres no magic formula, different strokes for different folks and the type of show can also dictate what will work best. For the show we have just done it was all about getting as many people to look at our albums as possible so the albums were right at the front where all the foot traffic was.

2. We did a small bridal show when we were cheap and booked about 10 wedidngs from it, some of them actually on the day, as prices go up it gets more competitive so you need to find unique selling points that appeal to customers.

3. Varies massively, big shows where there are lots of competition your unlikely to book any people at the show its all about follow ups afterwards but at little shows if your cheap you may get some bookings on the day.

Prints above look like foam board mounted prints which most pro labs do.

Pic of our booth from the show.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

cory1848
Goldmember
1,884 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 29, 2009 09:56 |  #3

Great set up! I have thought about pursuing shows as well, but most around here say its not really worth it with all the cost associated with it. How much is the average space rental for a show like that?

Gear List
"Those are some mighty fine pots and pans you have, they must make a great dinner!

AlexMoPhotography
531 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 29, 2009 10:53 |  #4

It might be expensive, but I see a lot of the same photographers do Bridal Shows year after year, so they must be getting good business with it.

I like the first setup, but I like Tom and Jerry's lighting better, although it may be just the photo. Jonwhite's looks nice and elegant like a living room (maybe add a bean bag for brides to relax?) but it feels a little closed in for me. But like he said, there's no magic formula, and it worked for him anyway.

I realized that most bridal booths have that "busy" look with all their photos displaying so closely together, kinda like the decor at a Red Robin. I know one photographer that went very simple and that's what seemed to attract her customers:

http://chelseanicolebl​og.com/personal/bridal​-show/ (external link)

To sum it up, just be creative. Find something that makes you stick out of the crowd. Connect with brides.

I'm planning on doing one, too, but I'm too broke right now with all the house, car, school, and medical payments up the wazoo. Good luck!

Laaaas Vegas Wedding Photography - Alex Mo Photography (external link)
New Blog ---> The Alex Mo Photography Blog! (external link) <-- ;)

dawssvt
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 01:08 as a reply to  @ AlexMoPhotography's post |  #5

Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate all the advice. I have heard that giving discounts for booking that day work well. Has anyone had experience with that?

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 02, 2009 03:40 |  #6

dawssvt wrote in post #8938680 (external link)
Thanks for the info everyone! I really appreciate all the advice. I have heard that giving discounts for booking that day work well. Has anyone had experience with that?

Personally thats not something I would ever do, pressure selling like that doesn't reflect very well on your business imo.

We have met with quite a few B&G's since the show and the biggest negative that some of them have mentioned is photographers trying to get them signed up on the day of the show and using special offers to try and convince them to book there and then.

We had a special offer for the show but the qualifying period was up to a month after the show so B&G's could come for a proper client meeting before booking.

At a smaller show its probably possible to sit down with potential clients for 20 minutes but at the national shows where there's thousands of people passing through the most you get is a few minutes with each couple so I don't think its fair to expect bookings there and then.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

dawssvt
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 03:42 |  #7

jonwhite wrote in post #8938984 (external link)
Personally thats not something I would ever do, pressure selling like that doesn't reflect very well on your business imo.

We have met with quite a few B&G's since the show and the biggest negative that some of them have mentioned is photographers trying to get them signed up on the day of the show and using special offers to try and convince them to book there and then.

We had a special offer for the show but the qualifying period was up to a month after the show so B&G's could come for a proper client meeting before booking.

At a smaller show its probably possible to sit down with potential clients for 20 minutes but at the national shows where there's thousands of people passing through the most you get is a few minutes with each couple so I don't think its fair to expect bookings there and then.

Ah... Great to know. I will make sure to offer the discounts for the month after the show as well. That's a great idea. Thanks :)

sponsored links

3,782 views & 0 likes for this thread
I Need Help Creating a Bridal Show Display...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.