Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 12:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tri State Semi Shady? Seems so.....

Kronie
Goldmember
2,183 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 29, 2009 12:13 |  #1

So, I have ordered a few lenses over the years from Tri State Camera. good prices and I have always had good experiences with them, I'm sure others haven't. Some lenses I have kept, a few I have returned for various reasons.

Every time I return a lens, I have to call back a month later and find out why they haven't put the funds back on my card.

I always get the same answer. "Oh, I see that the returns been processed but for some reason the system didn't complete the refund. I'll take care of that right away for you sir. You should have your funds in a day or so"

And I always get the refund.

I totally see what there doing. There sitting on refunds to see if the customer ever calls back. If the customer never calls they just keep the money and the lens.

So, basically, buyer beware.

sponsored links
psinkant
419 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 29, 2009 18:28 |  #2

I bought from Tri-State on eBay once but I would never buy from them again. Luckily, I got the lens brand new but the guy was rude. I bought a lens with buy-it-now option. A guy from there called me to "confirm" my purchase and asked if I wanted to "upgrade" to this type of battery and was trying to sell me stuff that I didn't need. Of course, I said no to him and politely told him that I already had everything I needed. The guy just hung up the phone immediately after that without saying anything else. I had to send an email back asking if my purchase was finally "confirmed" because he just rudely hung up the phone.

-FF and crop bodies w/ some lenses and S90-

M3Rocket
580 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 29, 2009 18:34 |  #3

Yep. They've been known as a semi-shady vendor since the classifieds days in the back of Popular Photography magazine before the web.

iLUKphotography (external link)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 30, 2009 07:36 |  #4

I've purchase several lens from them and all transactions have gone off without a hitch. The last time I called I talked with the manager as the normal person I talk to was on vacation. The manager was rude, loud & didn't close the sale. Never again.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,134 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Oct 30, 2009 11:28 |  #5

Kronie wrote in post #8918325 (external link)
So, I have ordered a few lenses over the years from Tri State Camera. good prices and I have always had good experiences with them, I'm sure others haven't. Some lenses I have kept, a few I have returned for various reasons.

Every time I return a lens, I have to call back a month later and find out why they haven't put the funds back on my card.

I always get the same answer. "Oh, I see that the returns been processed but for some reason the system didn't complete the refund. I'll take care of that right away for you sir. You should have your funds in a day or so"

And I always get the refund.

I totally see what there doing. There sitting on refunds to see if the customer ever calls back. If the customer never calls they just keep the money and the lens.

So, basically, buyer beware.

thanks for doing the research. you are now free to shop with a reputable merchant :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

nikhilnh
421 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 30, 2009 11:33 |  #6

I have had both good and bad experiences with them. But after my last experience which was bad I doubt that I will ever do business with them. As long as the order proceeds smoothly its not a problem but if there are some problems with the order don't expect any customer service from them. You can be pretty sure that you will receive some rude replies.

I once ordered a camera which their website said was in stock, but it want out of stock. I get an email after a couple of days from them asking me call a particular person at their customer service. When I call another person picks up the call and tells me pretty rudely that its out of stock. I don't remember the exact conversation, but making me wait for a camera and then asking me to call them and then being rude to me is enough for me not to do any business with them in future.

I searched the net and found another thread which shows how lousy their customer service is. Here's the link to the thread which is on the Sony / Minolta forum.

http://www.dyxum.com …c6960_page1.htm​l?KW=state (external link)

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 31, 2009 15:46 |  #7

psinkant wrote in post #8920503 (external link)
I bought from Tri-State on eBay once

Res ipsa loquitur.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

Pinto
Always in our hearts and minds. R.I.P.
3,124 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Nov 01, 2009 18:12 |  #8

I have ask why you folks would buy from them in the first place, instead of a known reputable vendor? It's hard to believe that their pricing could legitimately be that much better.

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2009 11:54 |  #9

wow the shadiness is getting more and more slicker..

thanks for the heads up.. But I did however order something from them before and service was fast.. I just never returned anything to them

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

sponsored links

960 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tri State Semi Shady? Seems so.....
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.