Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark II worth switching to from 5D? Opinions?

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 30, 2009 08:33 |  #16

I made the jump, mostly due to better ISO performance and video. Personally I have no issues with my old 5D's AF. The AF point spread isn't what I'd like it to be (like my Mark III) but in real life, it hasn't let me down yet.
The 5D classic is still so very good though. Either camera is a winner without a doubt.

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
MikeDotePhoto
128 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 30, 2009 09:13 as a reply to  @ Mr. Clean's post |  #17

I recently made the jump from a 5d classic and find myself amazed at what the camera can do at high ISOs. I can shoot at night by streetlight under bad conditions with the 5dII and still get a good result. I haven't really used the HD video mode that much yet, but I will when I shoot for the school newspaper- They need content for the blog.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 30, 2009 10:39 |  #18

dkim3202 wrote in post #8923464 (external link)
I'm sure the 5DII replacement will have an updated AF. May not be out for a while. For me, I think the AF is pretty solid on the 5DII and having 45 AF points on the 1DIV is a bit overkill.

I'm pretty much in this camp. I'm happy with the results from the 5D for now, and can wait for the next FF camera that's not a 1Ds. I just don't want the bulk and weight of a 1, and the 5D serves me well...for what I shoot.

You also have to consider whether your computer is up to the task of handling 21MP images. I downloaded a few raw files from the 5DII, and while CS4 handles them pretty well, LR2 chokes on them to the point that it's unusable on my PC.

flickr (external link)

misshotnspicy
107 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2009 11:35 |  #19

Hey Guys,

I’m in the same boat and want to upgrade to a full frame camera body (either 5D or 5D Mark II). I was wondering at what level of the highest ISO I can use the 5D before I start to see noise. I am shooting half of my engagement events indoors and need a camera that will allow me use a high ISO without too much noise. I'm currently using a 40D and will use it as a backup if I go full frame.

Thanks,
Laura

www.lauravuphoto.com (external link)

MikeDotePhoto
128 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 30, 2009 11:41 |  #20

misshotnspicy wrote in post #8924435 (external link)
Hey Guys,

I’m in the same boat and want to upgrade to a full frame camera body (either 5D or 5D Mark II). I was wondering at what level of the highest ISO I can use the 5D before I start to see noise. I am shooting half of my engagement events indoors and need a camera that will allow me use a high ISO without too much noise. I'm currently using a 40D and will use it as a backup if I go full frame.

Thanks,
Laura

On the 5dclassic, I would go up to 1600 and not worry too much. On the 5dII, I can go up to 4000 cleanly.

Mike

misshotnspicy
107 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Oct 30, 2009 11:45 |  #21

MikeDotePhoto wrote in post #8924469 (external link)
On the 5dclassic, I would go up to 1600 and not worry too much. On the 5dII, I can go up to 4000 cleanly.

Mike

Wow! That's IMPRESSIVE. Maybe I should get the 5DII then. Thanks Mike.

www.lauravuphoto.com (external link)

Mossman6
952 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 30, 2009 12:49 |  #22

misshotnspicy wrote in post #8924435 (external link)
Hey Guys,

Thanks,
Laura

I'm in the same shoes as you. I just bought a refurb 5D and will have my 50D as a backup. I've tried to last with just having one camera, but something happened to my 50D which requires servicing. This means 3 weeks of no shooting which translates to no photoshoots. I will get it on Tuesday and let you know how that goes. The work I do dosen't require low ISO and the cost of the 5D is bout half of a new 5D2.

My name is Josh. I love FB likes.
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,727 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D Mark II worth switching to from 5D? Opinions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.