Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Oct 2009 (Thursday) 16:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

If you're not a Photographer full time, what is your current career?

mightyslam
162 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 30, 2009 15:44 as a reply to  @ post 8925722 |  #46

TV Photojournalist for a local TV station... with a degree in still photography.

Even though I migrated into video, still photography is still my stress outlet. Go figure.

flickr (external link) | Canon 7D MkII | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM | Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon 430EX II

sponsored links
tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 30, 2009 20:44 as a reply to  @ mightyslam's post |  #47

I was in IT until earlier this year when I got laid off. Thanks to stimulus money, now I'm a tow yard attendant for the city (cushy government job!). It's a pretty stressful job though -- everyone who visits my office is mad because their car was towed! Photography takes me to my happy place for a while.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 30, 2009 22:24 |  #48

Photostock wrote in post #8925463 (external link)
Interesting thread. Funny how many engineers there are.

Probably the reason for all the pixel peepers here. (Running for cover.)

Right now I'm working in the front house of a restaurant and will be doing this for a few years until I get an MBA and make real money. Hello 1200mm. :cool:

Christian

sparkin
Cream of the Crop
6,490 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 30, 2009 22:33 |  #49

nicksan wrote in post #8925009 (external link)
I'm in Gas management. :lol: (Look at my title)

Awesome - just awesome. :D

AttenOke
41 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 30, 2009 22:42 |  #50

Electronics Engineering Technologist for the Canadian Air Force... and yes if I thought I could make it off my photography I would...

I got into my field because of a love for anything I.T. /Electronic... since taking up photography it just feels very... cold...

Site:
Reason And Reflection (external link)
Gear: Rebel XTi Gripped | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS | Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 | Speedlite 430EX
Constructive Criticism will always be welcomed... I am here to learn...

madhatter04
Goldmember
1,930 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 30, 2009 23:00 |  #51

Full time BFA graphic design student (and artist, in general), part/full time performer for Disney Entertainment, hobbyist photographer/videograp​her.

Designer // Art Director // Photographer
www.alexanderfitch.com (external link) | AlexFitchPhoto on Instagram (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,646 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 30, 2009 23:06 |  #52

olnacl wrote in post #8923863 (external link)
Police Officer. Photography is a stress relieving outlet for me....would consider going full time as long as it involved doing zero weddings....the very last wedding I ever did I seriously considering taking a taser to the mother of the bride.

Lol!!!!! bw!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,646 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 30, 2009 23:15 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #53

Engineer working in air traffic control R&D. Mostly I love my work and I'm good at it. I'll never go pro with photography, but this year I actually combined my love of aviation with photography and work, and produced the book at this link:

http://www.sofobomo.or​g …ks/graham-glover/airport/ (external link)

I shared the photos with the folks at work, and they're using some of my photos in some of our internal courses on air traffic control.

Graham

TristateViP
195 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 30, 2009 23:30 |  #54

Accountant by day , if I could get a job as a sports photographer I'd do it in a second

Canon/60D/17-40L/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Tamron 28-75 2.8
A few green bees ;)

Cruisn
146 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Oct 30, 2009 23:41 |  #55

I weld to afford my hobby. lol. used to run a truck and chase drilling rigs but that crashed pretty bad here in the spring. still welding but for shell scotford refinery. I find it an art in its own way. you form and shape metal into what you want. lay down the perfect bead..or close anyways LOL.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i85.photobucket​.com/albums/k48/cruisn​/work4.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

also do a bit of custom car tuning for some extra cash.

http://www.cardomain.c​om/ride/2248152 (external link)

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 30, 2009 23:56 as a reply to  @ Cruisn's post |  #56

I'm a real estate investor..aka.."flip that house"
I've been flipping for 10 years, and the last year has been the hardest.

I've also done video production/graphic design as a side business for 4 years.

I would do photography full time in a heartbeat!!

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

sittingbackrelaxed
34 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 30, 2009 23:56 |  #57

If you're noticed in this post, there are no fulltime photographers posting to give their .02 cents. I shoot part-time nearly every weekend and and many weeknights as well and an occasionally weekday (I take a vacation day off from work to shoot on a only if the opportunity will at least double what I could make at my reg job for that day). I shot as an event/night club phtographer as well as sports. I've done weddings, portraits and even some products this year and all of them were gigs that I got off of my local Craigslist or I contacted the people in charge of the events directly. I'd love to do this full-time, but with the time I put into it now . . . I'm not so sure. People - it's a lot of work shooting during the week and then spending hours on the computer editing the stuff and then posting it online or burning discs to send to the client etc and then all the marketing you have to do. Don't get me wrong as I love photography, but once you start making money at it part-time and you see how much time you actually have to dedicate to it, you might want to rethink. I do have a business plan and I specifically am holding back trying to do this fulltime as I do quite a bit of work as a 2nd shooter for a fulltime photographer (sports events) and I see what he goes thru to make a buck. I'm biding my time for now and learning as much about the business end as I can. Make sure you have money saved up. Not all gigs pay as much as you think they might and as lucrative as weddings are, they have their own unique set of problems/workflow that you have to deal with. For me, I have 5 gigs left to shoot this year: 3 sporting events, 1 black-tie affair and then a major university winter graduation (graduation portraits with 2 other photographers). Next year, I already have 10 gigs reserved for sports events as a 2nd shooter, 6 gigs for sports events solo, 1 wedding and then 2 live outdoor music daylong events. That is what I've scheduled for now as a part time freelancer along with a 40 hour a week job and another 15-25 hour a week 2nd job (saving up for the jump to full-time and for equipment). Yeah, it helps that I'm both a night owl and morning person (4-5 hours sleep nightly) and I have my digital workflow processing down pretty well. You get more efficient (time-wise) and with your photography the more you start doing this for money as if you don't you soon won't get any callbacks or people won't buy your pictures. Oh, I don't have a website either (I have one for selling photos, just not a general one that details my work & port) as I'd be too busy then. Word-of mouth and learning how to network got me most of my work. Good luck to all who want to do this for a living or even make money part time!

5D MK II, 50D gripped, Elan 7e gripped & A2E gripped, Nifty Fifty, 17-40 L, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 L, 100-400 L IS, 100 2.0, Tamron 70-200 2.8 DI LD, Kenko 1.4/2 TC, Canon 580 IIEX, Canon 430EX, Sunpak PZ 5000AF

jeppoy
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 31, 2009 09:02 |  #58

no strippers??? :D just kidding :D

No I'm not a photographer, I just shoot with Canon DSLR with those lenses with red thingy...;)

www.digital-xpression.com (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,646 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 31, 2009 12:49 |  #59

jeppoy wrote in post #8929269 (external link)
no strippers??? :D just kidding :D

Yes. You caught me. I'm a professional Möbius Stripper. ;)

Graham

picsofmykids
70 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 31, 2009 12:50 |  #60

Teacher by degree, officer worker currently so I can do stuff at my kids school with them, photographer on the side

sponsored links

49,205 views & 0 likes for this thread
If you're not a Photographer full time, what is your current career?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.