Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Oct 2009 (Wednesday) 00:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why would anyone shoot a 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L on a 1.6x crop?

this thread is locked
mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 02, 2009 18:23 |  #271
bannedPermanent ban

iqfanatic wrote in post #8942989 (external link)
I guess I should not expect the internet forums to have respect, I bet none of you would EVER say something like this to me in person, while I'm 6 foot 8 and 250 LB of all muscle who teaches Karate. lmao

It's a tossup between the above "keyboard warrior" thing and invoking Hitler as to which is the quickest way to have everyone laughing at you on the net.

Anyway, here's a Brad Paisley video (external link) that you'll probably enjoy, and should be a learning experience.

One thing you'll probably (hopefully) learn is that on the net, people don't always agree with you (even you, by the looks of things) and that threads ALWAYS drift away from the original post.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

sponsored links
iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 18:59 |  #272
bannedPermanent ban

I guess my IQ must be 50, since I dont get how you think this is "against me" for you to ask the exact same thing I asked 2 posts ago.

tkbslc wrote in post #8943014 (external link)
I am not sure you realized that you just agreed with me, and I was agreeing with him. So you just placed an argument against yourself.

mikekelley wrote in post #8942910 (external link)
Uh. I use a 24-70 for that range. Sometimes it is necessary for my paid gigs, fashion and events. I don't really like the standard range between say 30 and 50. I have an 85 1.8 and a 70-200, as well as a 17-40.

tkbslc wrote in post #8942992 (external link)
Really I don't get the argument. If you wanted 35mm FOV and you owned a 1.6x, you would have bought a 24L in the first place. If you bought the 35mm for you APS-C, then it means you wanted 50mm FOV. You'd likely end up trading for a 50mm (or buying a 50mm, too) to get you back to where you wanted to be.

iqfanatic wrote in post #8942954 (external link)
Thanks for clarifying your dont like ANY of the lenses the OP was asking about and you prefer zooms. I can understand and respect that and now I have gained from your responces.
-Steve

-Steve

http://iqfanatic.smugm​ug.com (external link)
-

iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 19:07 |  #273
bannedPermanent ban

mickeyjuice wrote in post #8943120 (external link)
It's a tossup between the above "keyboard warrior" thing and invoking Hitler as to which is the quickest way to have everyone laughing at you on the net.

Anyway, I'm a fat head here's a Brad Paisley video[/URL] that you'll probably enjoy, and should be a learning experience.

One thing you'll probably (hopefully) learn is that on the net, people don't always agree with you (even you, by the looks of things) and that threads ALWAYS drift away from the original post.

I hate people who post about things irrelevant to the discussion and are all negative without anything to add.
mickeyjuice, I guess your sort of the master of that, apparently.

Not sure what you mean, or why you think I want people to agree with me.
I said like 4 times People can have any lens they want, I don’t care what it is.

As most people said, people tend to buy crop bodies for price and good lenses for the future, sicne FF camreas only get cheaper in time. I was trying to continue that line of though with my comments.

A guy said and I was responding to: that they had a Crop with a 35 to get 50mm view, then upgraded to a FF and sold the 35 to get a 80mm lens since they don’t want 50mm view anymore.

The ONLY POINT I meant to post was that it is silly to say a 35L is not good when the comparison was a 50mm and 85 view on crop body. I was ONLY saying the 35L would never be in the setup if you wanted a 50mm lens on a crop body to get a 85 view. I also pointed out that moving from a Crop to a FF body would not motivate anyone I know to sell the 35L and buy something else. Needing a different focal length may justify the need, but changing body's is another matter.
I was saying that buying a 35L lens for a crop body when they wanted a 85 view was in error.

-Steve

-

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 02, 2009 19:24 |  #274

iqfanatic wrote in post #8942989 (external link)
I guess I should not expect the internet forums to have respect, I bet none of you would EVER say something like this to me in person, while I'm 6 foot 8 and 250 LB of all muscle who teaches Karate. lmao

Steve, I'm not here to pick a fight, but it doesn't take long for anyone entering this thread for the first time to observe that you're being atleast, if not more aggressive than anyone else. Furthermore, the above post can be regarded as an implicit threat of physical violence. Anyone who feels the need to talk up their stature or martial arts prowess to random forumites usually has some sort of insecurity issues. Perhaps you should back away from the computer a bit. Go out, take some photos. Get some fresh air. Just chill out a bit, okay?

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 19:25 |  #275
bannedPermanent ban

excuse me

-Steve

-

iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 19:25 |  #276
bannedPermanent ban

iqfanatic wrote in post #8943325 (external link)
I guess my IQ must be 50, since I dont get how you think this is "against me" for you to ask the exact same thing I asked 2 posts ago.

Anyway, I'm a fat head here's a Brad Paisley video[/URL] that you'll probably enjoy, and should be a learning experience.

I hate people who post about things irrelevant to the discussion and are all negative without anything to add.
mickeyjuice, I guess your sort of the master of that, apparently.

Not sure what you mean, or why you think I want people to agree with me.
I said like 4 times People can have any lens they want, I don’t care what it is.

As most people said, people tend to buy crop bodies for price and good lenses for the future, sicne FF camreas only get cheaper in time. I was trying to continue that line of though with my comments.

A guy said and I was responding to: that they had a Crop with a 35 to get 50mm view, then upgraded to a FF and sold the 35 to get a 80mm lens since they don’t want 50mm view anymore.

The ONLY POINT I meant to post was that it is silly to say a 35L is not good when the comparison was a 50mm and 85 view on crop body. I was ONLY saying the 35L would never be in the setup if you wanted a 50mm lens on a crop body to get a 85 view. I also pointed out that moving from a Crop to a FF body would not motivate anyone I know to sell the 35L and buy something else. Needing a different focal length may justify the need, but changing body's is another matter.
I was saying that buying a 35L lens for a crop body when they wanted a 85 view was in error.

-Steve

-

Dorman
Goldmember
4,661 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 02, 2009 19:25 |  #277

You know if we were on a guitar forum we could easily have a similar debate. Why did so-and-so use this guitar, with THOSE pickups, plugged into THAT amp. Sure there are the gear aficionados, but more importantly we would probably be discussing the musical prowess of the player, the resulting tones of his setup, and ultimately the music and not the gear behind it.

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 02, 2009 19:27 |  #278

Why use them? Because they're awesome. That's why. :)

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 02, 2009 19:32 |  #279
bannedPermanent ban

Steve, resorting to misquoting people in quotes is also an internet no-no that makes you look like a newby nuffie. You might want to do a search on internet ettiquette (or "Netiquette" for the hip and funky").

HTH.

cheers, juice (Canon shooter, Elinchrom lighter, but pretty much agnostic on brands.)

iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 19:37 |  #280
bannedPermanent ban

mickeyjuice wrote in post #8943547 (external link)
Steve, resorting to misquoting people in quotes is also an internet no-no that makes you look like a newby nuffie. You might want to do a search on internet ettiquette (or "Netiquette" for the hip and funky").

HTH.

You start with me on viral video links saying I should be educated by them, and then you start to lecture me about internet etiquette and call me a noob. All which has nothing to do with the thread.

I'm impressed by your lack of considerations for readers coming here for CANON info - not.
Your small thinking is no match for your big ego.

Why didn't you go lookup how to spell etiquette instead of some video.
You can just look up my home address on the internet and come by to discuss things.
If your avatar is a self portrait then I guess I know why you act this way.

-Steve

-

mickeyjuice
Cream of the Crop
7,876 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 02, 2009 19:50 |  #281
bannedPermanent ban

Too dumb for words. I give up. Persistent stupidity wins the day, Steve, as it tends to.

As you said about yourself earlier: "I guess my IQ must be 50".

I think most others are guessing the same thing.

iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 19:52 |  #282
bannedPermanent ban

mickeyjuice wrote in post #8943631 (external link)
Too dumb for words. I give up. Persistent stupidity wins the day, Steve, as it tends to.
As you said about yourself earlier: "I guess my IQ must be 50".
I think most others are guessing the same thing.

Wow, what a small thing you must have to keep coming after me. wow. says alot about you man. I guess that's what people with no guts do, eh?

OHHH! I just read you’re from Oz, which explains your senseless attack on me.
Then again, maybe your just wrong.

-Steve

-

TheFrost
120 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 20:10 |  #283

Nice, what I get from reading all 19!! pages is that I, as a beginner in this field, not only should worry about which lenses to buy, but also should keep an eye on the body and think if it is not time to replace it. As if this is not all complicated enough :).

I think I'll go out and take more pictures first.

iqfanatic
98 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 20:26 |  #284
bannedPermanent ban

TheFrost wrote in post #8943743 (external link)
Nice, what I get from reading all 19!! pages is that I, as a beginner in this field, not only should worry about which lenses to buy, but also should keep an eye on the body and think if it is not time to replace it. As if this is not all complicated enough :).

I think I'll go out and take more pictures first.

You would probably be far better off reading 19 pages of ANY other thread. lol
Spend some time on How to websites like strobist blog and frank mira's site etc.

-Steve

-

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 02, 2009 20:33 |  #285

iqfanatic wrote in post #8943803 (external link)
You would probably be far better off reading 19 pages of ANY other thread. lol

I think that's the one thing people will agree with you there. :lol:

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

sponsored links

21,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why would anyone shoot a 24L, 35L, 50L, 85L on a 1.6x crop?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.