Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Nov 2009 (Monday) 18:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working for another photography business?

dawssvt
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 18:44 |  #1

I currently shoot weddings as a part time gig. There is a photography studio in town that mostly shoots portraits and does some weddings. I'm looking for a job just to be able to pay the bills right now.

I think working for this studio could be good experience for me, but also think it could be counter-productive because they will have copyright of the pictures I take. I just love the idea of getting to work with a camera with both my day job and doing weddings on my own. What do you guys think of this?

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 02, 2009 19:36 |  #2

I'm sort of in the same boat as you right now, but I would say go for it. I shoot for a few wedding photographers as an occasional second, and I shoot for free for a local ministry regularly. I do this cheap/free work because I need experience, and it's definitely paying off. There is no better way to get into a business than to get involved with others who are in it. The one thing I would check on would be to see if they will allow you to use the pictures you take for your personal portfolio.

dawssvt
THREAD ­ STARTER
406 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 04, 2009 01:34 |  #3

shooter mcgavin wrote in post #8943565 (external link)
I'm sort of in the same boat as you right now, but I would say go for it. I shoot for a few wedding photographers as an occasional second, and I shoot for free for a local ministry regularly. I do this cheap/free work because I need experience, and it's definitely paying off. There is no better way to get into a business than to get involved with others who are in it. The one thing I would check on would be to see if they will allow you to use the pictures you take for your personal portfolio.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go talk to them tomorrow :D

St. Louis, MO Portrait and Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Smugmug (external link)

lara6470
69 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 04, 2009 11:20 |  #4

I thought that the actual person who took the image has the copyright.

Canon 5D Mark II's
Canon EF 35 1.4L, Canon EF 24-105L,
EF 24-70L, EF 200mmf/2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 600EX-RT's

jen19806
30 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 04, 2009 12:29 as a reply to  @ lara6470's post |  #5

Mostly yes, but being an employee of someone else, barring some provision in your employment agreement, it would usually go to the employer, ie the studio.

scobols
Goldmember
1,325 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2009 12:41 |  #6

I've heard of studios which don't allow you to work on the side if you work for them - sort of a non-compete agreement. You can imagine how easy it would be to steal their clients and offer them cheaper service.

Scott

www.scottbolster.com (external link)
facebook (external link)

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,251 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 04, 2009 12:44 |  #7

lara6470 wrote in post #8953434 (external link)
I thought that the actual person who took the image has the copyright.

...Unless they are in the employ of someone else while taking the photos.

Then the employer generally owns the copyright. That would be when working as a "regular" employee whose duties include photography... and might also be the case for someone hired for a specific assignment, such as a second shooter at a wedding.

It will likely be spelled out in an agreement with them. Very few employers would hire in this manner without putting everything in writing. Look for terms like "work made for hire".

Usually you do have rights to display in your portfolio.

This is quite typical of newspaper/magazine staff photographers, wedding & portrait photogs, stringers for Associated Press, actually a very wide variety of situations where people are hired to do photography.

In many commercial types of photography, also expect to see some sort of "non compete" clause, which means you can't do the same type work on your own time in competition with your employer, within some defined market area, and for some set period of time after you leave their employ. This is another common sense protection that most business will want to have in place, for obvious reasons.

Usually the ownership of copyright doesn't apply to work made on your own time and the non-compete clause won't try to prevent you from picking up side jobs for other types of work, different from what the employer provides.

As to the original questions, there's a lot to be said about learning the business this way. It will give you a distinct advantage when you eventually go out on your own and you'll make a lot fewer expensive mistakes.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

lara6470
69 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 04, 2009 13:50 |  #8

What if I've never singned anything. I've shot for a few studios here in NYC and none of them have had me sign any agreements. Do I have the copyright?

Canon 5D Mark II's
Canon EF 35 1.4L, Canon EF 24-105L,
EF 24-70L, EF 200mmf/2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4
Canon 600EX-RT's

sponsored links

1,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working for another photography business?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.