Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Nov 2009 (Monday) 23:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1D Mark IV post pictures here.....

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 02, 2009 23:12 |  #1

Dejavu....:)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

sponsored links
J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 02, 2009 23:15 |  #2

lol I guess your gonna wait a while :p

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

oomus
313 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 02, 2009 23:19 |  #3

Geeze give me a break.....

Scott G.
WWW.AzClockStoppers.co​m (external link)
The Gear List

SlvrScoobie
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 02, 2009 23:44 |  #4

http://www.flickr.com …e/sets/72157622​649772276/ (external link)
lol

DarthVader
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 03, 2009 08:21 |  #5

I can't believe not too many pictures showed up :lol:

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2009 14:39 |  #6

Why is everyone so hung up on the super high ISOs? Yes it's NICE to have a camera with high ISO capability which produces nice results, but whatever happened to using LOW ISOs to get the sharpest noise/grain free images possible?

Like if there weren't HIGH ISOs, what, would people STOP taking pictures? It's nice to have high ISO capabilities if the situation calls for it, or if that's the ONLY way to get an image, but it shouldn't be the FIRST choice, or used because people are LAZY to maybe carry a tripod, or be a bit creative.

Again, I'm not saying that it's a BAD thing, just that it shouldn't be the be all end all of each new camera that comes out, and make it as if it's the BEST thing ever to happen to photography!

It's nice that they show sample images taken at 1 gazillion ISO, but what about showing some images taken at ISO 50 (ala good ol' VELVIA!!) with an EF 400mm f2.8L I.S. lens that is blown up to 40" x 60" with NO FREAKIN' NOISE!! now THAT would be impressive!!!

Still hope to get a 1D Mark IV one day!!

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

SlvrScoobie
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2009 14:44 |  #7

because, ISO 100 is noise free
and the 0.001% difference is unnoticeable. There is a fundamental limit of how the photons are converted to signal, and were around the upper 80% for ISO's under 400. And its just not that easy to get from say 85-95. That 10% increase would probably be harder than getting from 20-80%.
So now that they've conquered 50-800, they're going after bigger fish, now people are saying 1600 and even 3200 are like 100-200 speed film was 5 years ago. that is Amazing!
I cant wait to see what I can do if I could handhold F5.6 inside at a candle lit wedding without flash!

Mystwalker
608 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 03, 2009 14:53 |  #8

Not sure about others ...
imo, any camera does well at normal lighting ISO (100-200?) - I think for normal outdoor stuff, even a P&S is pretty good especially when I print most 4x6, 5x7 and occassional larger (I think 12x16)

For $4500+ I would want to see how camera does in extreme scenarios (low low light).

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 03, 2009 14:56 |  #9

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #8948378 (external link)
Why is everyone so hung up on the super high ISOs? Yes it's NICE to have a camera with high ISO capability which produces nice results, but whatever happened to using LOW ISOs to get the sharpest noise/grain free images possible?

Like if there weren't HIGH ISOs, what, would people STOP taking pictures? It's nice to have high ISO capabilities if the situation calls for it, or if that's the ONLY way to get an image, but it shouldn't be the FIRST choice, or used because people are LAZY to maybe carry a tripod, or be a bit creative.

Again, I'm not saying that it's a BAD thing, just that it shouldn't be the be all end all of each new camera that comes out, and make it as if it's the BEST thing ever to happen to photography!

It's nice that they show sample images taken at 1 gazillion ISO, but what about showing some images taken at ISO 50 (ala good ol' VELVIA!!) with an EF 400mm f2.8L I.S. lens that is blown up to 40" x 60" with NO FREAKIN' NOISE!! now THAT would be impressive!!!

High Iso is a great thing. Lots of sports,photojournalist​s,birders, and wedding photogs will demand it. I like the idea that ISO 6400 looks like ISO 800. :) This is just one way digital technology will evolve. :)

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 03, 2009 15:00 |  #10

jdizzle wrote in post #8948488 (external link)
High Iso is a great thing. Lots of sports,photojournalist​s,birders, and wedding photogs will demand it. I like the idea that ISO 6400 looks like ISO 800. :) This is just one way digital technology will evolve. :)

I would love an excellent ISO 6400. I would love even more the ability to have real ISO 25 and ISO 50 (or lower). How about camera (1DsIV please) that foregoes super high ISO for some of the lower range. A camera with noise-free ISO 25-6400 would be perfect for all of my needs, ever.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 03, 2009 15:20 |  #11

sheawyatt wrote in post #8948506 (external link)
I would love an excellent ISO 6400. I would love even more the ability to have real ISO 25 and ISO 50 (or lower). How about camera (1DsIV please) that foregoes super high ISO for some of the lower range. A camera with noise-free ISO 25-6400 would be perfect for all of my needs, ever.

yes, thats what im talking about!! even 1600 would max me out

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 03, 2009 15:23 |  #12

quite seriously though... could this not be done in the firmware for example you boot the camera for high iso or you boot it for low iso? sort of like booting from different start up discs?

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

JMHPhotography
Goldmember
4,784 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 03, 2009 15:29 |  #13

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #8948378 (external link)

you don't shoot weddings, do you?

~John

(aka forkball)
Have a peek into my Gearbag. and My flickr (external link)
editing of my photos by permission only. Thanks

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 03, 2009 15:55 |  #14

JMHPhotography wrote in post #8948633 (external link)
you don't shoot weddings, do you?

No, nature and wildlife primarily.

Again, I'm NOT saying that high ISO is a BAD thing! Just that it SHOULDN'T be the BE ALL END ALL of determining how GOOD a new camera is!! That it is the number one, main priority, must be EXCELLENT or else the camera is CRAP!!

As I said in my previous post, it IS a good thing to have! It's AWESOME that new cameras are capable of producing USABLE images at ISO 12 GAZILLION!!, BUT it shouldn't be the MOST important factor!

Not EVERYBODY shoots weddings in a cave lit by a single match with an f11 maximum aperture lens!!

But I repeat, I'm not DISSING high ISO capable cameras whatsoever, and it is NICE to see sample pics of such for people who like or even NEED to use super high ISOs, I'm just saying that a lot of people DON'T need, or even like using a high ISO if possible, so showing sample pics of how NOISE FREE and how SHARP an image taken from said camera will be when taken at a low ISO with a fast "L" series lens so the viewer will say, "OMG THAT PICTURE IS SO FREAKIN' SHARP, IT ALMOST LOOKS THREE DIMENSIONAL!!" would also be nice to see.

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 03, 2009 16:03 |  #15

maverick678 wrote in post #8944656 (external link)
Dejavu....:)

How about you get us started.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

4,767 views & 0 likes for this thread
1D Mark IV post pictures here.....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.