Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 26 Sep 2009 (Saturday) 20:21
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Focus/Recompose... or Select A Point... or.. OTHER"
Focus and Recompose using center point exclusively (feel free to elaborate).
51.3%
Select focus point based on are of interest (feel free to elaborate)
43.4%
Secret method that you now have to share with us.
5.3%

152 voters, 152 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Focus and Recompose.... or Choose a Focus Point?

Nistelrooydude
Goldmember
1,495 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 03, 2009 10:29 as a reply to  @ post 8751439 |  #31

I've never really understood how to focus and recompose (I know it has something to do with the AF-On Button), so out of ignorance I select an AF point.

sponsored links
Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 15, 2009 12:04 |  #32

Interesting to see that the poll is nearly a split between focus and recompose, and center point...

You see... someone told me that I needed to quit toggling my focus points.. and I heavily disagree with it.. so I really wanted to see some solid opinions from people... :)

Thanks for giving your 2-cents and helping me realize that I'm okay after all. LOL...

Feel welcome to contine to contribute to the thread. I love reading the responses! :) Besides.. maybe someone really has a super secret method that I need to learn about.. lol

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 15, 2009 12:19 |  #33

With my Rebel (400D) I almost always stick to center and recompose. It's too much work finding the button and dial to change the settings.

But with my 30D, it's easy moving the multi-dial to do quick changes. :) If I'm using a prime lens or fast zoom, I'll select the AF point when I can.

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 03, 2009 08:02 as a reply to  @ DStanic's post |  #34

I almost never use the centre focus point and always choose the focus point which gets me closest to my desired compesition, I then lock the focus by half holding the shutter button down and recompose my shot. Does no one else use this method? It seems to be the most logical solution to me for candid portrait shots for example, here is my justification:

When using an off centre focus point (the one closest to the subjects eye) you do not need to move the camera so far to recompose once the focus is locked. The camera's geometry is therefore changed less so than if you were using the same method with the centre focus point. So far, noone seems to have come up with any proof that the off centre focus points are any less acurate than the centre focus point (at least not in this thread), therefore I think that as the geometry change is minimised when using the closest focus point, this outweighs any difference in strength/accuracy of the focus points.

This is just my opinion and perhaps somebody with greater knowledge can proove my theory wrong?

Lastly someone asked about the AF - on button so here is a link that explains it, it's not something I have used before but seems to be very useful for a great deal of people so it's certainly something that I will be having a play with very soon. http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ArticleAct&arti​cleID=2286 (external link)

Toggle focus is also something that I am not currently using due to habit but I think I will also be changing this in the very near future as I also srtuggle with the rotation wheel method ... it's too time consuming and has lead me to many missed shots.

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

bjyoder
Goldmember
1,664 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 03, 2009 10:24 |  #35

puzzle wrote in post #8946193 (external link)
I almost never use the centre focus point and always choose the focus point which gets me closest to my desired compesition, I then lock the focus by half holding the shutter button down and recompose my shot. Does no one else use this method? It seems to be the most logical solution to me for candid portrait shots for example, here is my justification:

When using an off centre focus point (the one closest to the subjects eye) you do not need to move the camera so far to recompose once the focus is locked. The camera's geometry is therefore changed less so than if you were using the same method with the centre focus point. So far, noone seems to have come up with any proof that the off centre focus points are any less acurate than the centre focus point (at least not in this thread), therefore I think that as the geometry change is minimised when using the closest focus point, this outweighs any difference in strength/accuracy of the focus points.

Canon claims that the center focus points on some cameras (your 50D for instance) are more sensitive with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or faster. Thus, say you're using your 85mm f/1.8, your center focus point will indeed be more accurate. Now, whether or not this matters is another debate that wasn't asked about! ;)

As for myself, it really depends on the situation. If I'm going to have time to switch focus points, I will do it if it makes sense. If I'm shooting more action-like things (sports or concerts, for example), then I'll stick with center point focus and recompose.

Ben

500px (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 03, 2009 10:47 |  #36

Canon claims that the center focus points on some cameras (your 50D for instance) are more sensitive with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or faster.

Ben,,,I've found this to be true on my 50D especially in very low light..

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

puzzle
347 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 03, 2009 10:49 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #37

I know that were taking this thread further and further off topic now (sorry OP) but this subject has really caught my interest ... here are some sources relating to problems with the centre focus, recopose method for anyone else who may be interested.

http://blog.duncandavi​dson.com …nd-recompose-exposed.html (external link)

http://www.outbackphot​o.com …hnique/essay06/​essay.html (external link)

Canon5D mkII | 50D | Canon 24-70 f2.8L | Canon EF 85 f1.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex ii *2 | Elinchrom Skyports | Macbook Pro
http://www.paulwills.c​om (external link)

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,458 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 03, 2009 10:50 |  #38

Very true indeed! I generally use the center focus but if it's more than one subject, then I select. Also if I don't want to point the camera directly at them initially, then I select another.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

Kristy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 03, 2009 11:22 |  #39

puzzle wrote in post #8947198 (external link)
I know that were taking this thread further and further off topic now (sorry OP) but this subject has really caught my interest ... here are some sources relating to problems with the centre focus, recopose method for anyone else who may be interested.

http://blog.duncandavi​dson.com …nd-recompose-exposed.html (external link)

http://www.outbackphot​o.com/workshop/photote​chnique/essay06/essay.​html (external link)

Awesome links! I am the OP and don't think this is off topic at all. It has been an interesting discussion and I was trying to find rationale for my shooting style.. So thought it would be interesting to do a poll.

I am not a fan of focus/recompose. For me it just isn't as effective as landing a focus point where I want focus and shooting it. A well respected photographer I know pretty much blew me out of the water for shooting this way and told me I needed to re-learn my technique... I walked away from the conversation feeling frustrated, and in a state of non agreement...

So I started this thread. I was so happy to see you links posted above supporting my style! :) YAY!

Thank you all for contribuiting to a great discussion.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,but by the moments that take our breath away.
~George Carlin
Kristy :D 5D MkIII, 24-70 / f2.8 L, 2 AB800's, and some modifiers.
My Website Page (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

shooter ­ mcgavin
526 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 04, 2009 00:14 |  #40

I'd like to be able to use the other focus points, but on my 20d, just using the center point in low light is so much faster and more reliable. If I'm outdoors I generally will use the others too.

skidzam
420 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 04, 2009 06:17 |  #41

For me, on my XSI, using center focus and recomposing with the shutter half depressed sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. So now, for static subjects with one shot, I set the camera's center point to focus lock with the * button then recompose and shoot with much better results.

For moving subjects, AI servo.

neilwood32
Cream of the Crop
6,231 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2009 06:41 |  #42

I use whatever focus pint that suits my goal - whether its centre or off centre.

AI servo - always centre point and leave cropping room.

Focus & recompose always seems like a guessing game to me.

Having a camera makes you no more a photographer than having a hammer and some nails makes you a carpenter - Claude Adams
Keep calm and carry a camera!
My Gear

Lani ­ Kai
"blissfully unaware"
2,132 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 06, 2009 14:47 |  #43

I use the quick selector button on my 5D Mark II, but this is a problem when I'm shooting vertical shots. With the vertical grip, I can't reach the selector. As a result, I'm often lazy and just focus-recompose with the center point.
Another reason is that the peripheral points hunt too much and tend to be noticeably slower.

SmugMug | [URL="http://www.faceb​ook.com/kohei.photo"]F​acebook | [URL="http://twitter.c​om/KoheiNakamura"]Twit​ter | [URL="http://gplus.to/​koheinakamura"]Google+ | [URL="http://500px.com​/KoheiNakamura"]500pxexternal link Equipment list | Colorburnexternal link
Founder, Canon Digital Photographyexternal link group on Facebook

drummerhc
301 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 09, 2009 15:21 |  #44

Anything wider than f/2.8, I manually choose the AF point.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
-HC
Flickr  (external link)Gears

imahawki
Goldmember
1,455 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 09, 2009 15:25 |  #45

ShadowVlican wrote in post #8716215 (external link)
i select the closest focus point (easy to do on the 50D)

What's the fastest way to do this. I know you can push the focus point button in the upper right and then hit the joystick. Is there a way to eliminate the first step?

Olympus OMD E-M10 | Olympus 25 f/1.8 | Olympus 45 f/1.8 | Olympus 75 f/1.8 | Olympus 9-18 f/4-5.6 | Olympus 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 | Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6
My Zenfolio Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

8,838 views & 0 likes for this thread
Focus and Recompose.... or Choose a Focus Point?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.