Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 22:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fall Stream

Alex ­ Rechetov
204 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 01, 2009 22:05 |  #1

Hi guys.

I would really appreciate some honest C&C on this one.

Thanks!

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2578/4043739799_0dba1560f8_o.jpg
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 (ISO100, 10mm, f/10, 2.5sec)

My Gear | My Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Cdeming
"īt" didn't fall off
1,968 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 01, 2009 23:14 |  #2

Nice colors and composition. I like the lone red leaf. A polarlizing filter would have helped remove some of the shiny glare off the rocks and leaves, but it isn't too distracting to me. Is the water yellow from leaves? It looks interesting.

;) Chrissy
Gear - 5D, Canon 85mm 1.2L, 50mm 1.2L, 24mm 1.2L, Speedlite 580EXII Website (external link) l Blog  (external link)l Facebook (external link) (friend me) l Fanpage (external link) (like me :))
Currently Reading (again): Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

hawkskins
232 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 02, 2009 00:00 |  #3

Beautiful!

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 02, 2009 10:13 as a reply to  @ hawkskins's post |  #4

I really like the up clos eon this! Colors are vivid, and DOf is sweet for me.

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

Domgravine
78 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 02, 2009 18:04 |  #5

PERFECT!

Canon 50D:p
"You don't take a photograph, you make it."
-Ansel Adams

whodenie
36 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 02, 2009 19:07 as a reply to  @ Domgravine's post |  #6

Nice image! One critique- what is causing the blur in the lower right? This is a little distracting from the rest of the very nice image.

Cheers

Alex ­ Rechetov
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2009 19:14 |  #7

Cdeming wrote in post #8938304 (external link)
Nice colors and composition. I like the lone red leaf. A polarlizing filter would have helped remove some of the shiny glare off the rocks and leaves, but it isn't too distracting to me. Is the water yellow from leaves? It looks interesting.

Thanks for the reply!

Actually a B+W CPL was used for this shot. All of the surfaces there were ridiculously moist & reflective, and without a polarizer none of the colors would be visible at all. :) I guess I could've gotten rid of all the reflections by taking multiple shots with the filter turned slightly in each and then combining them but I thought it would look a bit more natural with some reflections still there.

As for the color of the water - I had the camera on tripod for over two secs in this shot. So after the shutter was opened, I threw a pile of colorful leaves in the lower part of the stream to create that effect.

Alex ­ Rechetov
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2009 19:22 |  #8

whodenie wrote in post #8943384 (external link)
Nice image! One critique- what is causing the blur in the lower right? This is a little distracting from the rest of the very nice image.

Cheers

Hmm... I remember that part bothered myself as well when I was processing the image. The blur itself is caused by the motion of the water during the 2.5 sec exposure. But it does stand out as being different, and there's probably a couple reasons for that. First of all, the color in the stream was due to a pile of leaves that I had floating by as I took the shot. I guess the shutter closed before the leaves made it all the way through the shot creating that lack of colour. Secondly, I believe that the effect of the CPL could not cover all of the scene, considering that it was taken at 10mm and had several distinctly-angled surfaces. The lower part of the image displays a lot more reflections than the middle part since that's where the effects of the polarizer subside.

Alex ­ Rechetov
THREAD ­ STARTER
204 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2009 19:29 |  #9

Flo wrote in post #8940258 (external link)
I really like the up clos eon this! Colors are vivid, and DOf is sweet for me.

Thanks! I actually had the tripod submerged in the stream, with the lens just several inches away from the water. :lol:

As for the DOF - I actually cheated a little bit on that one. :oops: I wanted to get the motion of the water and leaves right, so I needed a long exposure. However bringing the ISO down to the min, and slapping on a CPL didn't help that much. So I still ended up stopping the lens down quite a bit. The DOF had to be made more shallow in PP using a Gaussian blur with a gradient mask. A neutral density filter would've helped here, but I have yet to get my hands on one.

Tom ­ H. ­ Photography
488 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 03, 2009 08:26 |  #10

Perfect photo to me, nice composition, popping colors. I would make a print of that one!

500D | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 IS | 35 1.4 L | 135 2.0 L | 200 2.8 L II
My website (external link)

dcatbagan
204 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 03, 2009 21:23 |  #11

Love the composition and colors.

flickr (external link)

HastyPhoto
953 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 03, 2009 21:32 |  #12

the image is stronger compositionally cropped right above the stem of the dominant red leaf imo. The top 1/3 of the image is oof and doesnt do anything but distract from the main elements which is the red leaf and water blur flowing by it into the pool. my humble 2 cents.

60D | EFS 17-55 2.8 IS | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto 190XPROB

www.HastyPhoto.com (external link)
www.etsy.com/shop/Hast​yPhoto (external link)
www.facebook.com/HastyPhoto (external link)

CoquetteRN
184 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 03, 2009 21:35 |  #13

i love it!

Stephanie
Canon 5d, 30d, nifty fifty, 17-40L, 70-200L f4 IS, 100 macro, 85, 24-70L, 50 1.4, 580EX II

alberthuynhphoto
60 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 04, 2009 00:36 |  #14

Amazing! Colors are very rich and vibrant. Perfectly exposed and the water stream couldn't be any better! Also very sharp! Looks like something straight out a wildlife magazine.

Flickr (external link)

40D | T2i | 24-70L | 50 1.8 | Rokinon 8mm | 580EXII |

kelleystar27
195 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 04, 2009 00:42 |  #15

Beautiful colors, great picture.

Kelley
www.facebook.com/charm​edcapturesphotography.​com (external link)
40D, 5D,5D II, 28-75 2.8, 85 1.8, 200 2.8L, 300 2.8L

sponsored links

1,926 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fall Stream
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.