Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D AI Servo running dog head on demo (and other observations)

tdodd
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 04, 2009 08:54 |  #1

AI Servo Performance

24 frames in ~3 seconds with my 100-400 at 400mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, 400 ISO. Shot raw and processed in DPP with sharpening = 3. This was with centre point plus expansion, which is what I would normally use with my 1D3.

Album slideshow here - http://picasaweb.googl​e.com …eshow/540025045​3996820754 (external link) You will need to press "play", and it might be more effective if you set the slideshow speed to 1 second per frame rather than the default 3 seconds.

Samples below....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This level of success is not something I have ever managed to achieve with my 50D as the dog's movements within the frame meant the AF kept disappearing off onto the background. It is probably similar performance to my 1D3. Not too shabby for a first day out with the camera :)

I had dialed in some AF microadjustment beforehand (+5), based on static testing indoors last night, but I think I may have overdone it a little so I will need to review that and see if I can improve subsequent efforts further.

That said, I have had some results that are puzzlingly poor but that might be down to my handholding or shutter release technique, or perhaps my possible misadjustment of AF microfocus. The bad results need more investigation.

Other observations

So far I have not seen any problems with off camera flash overexposure, despite trying to provoke it. See my posts from #89 onwards in this thread - https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=772​122&page=6

Checking some BIF shots has not revealed any ghosts, although I haven't squinted really hard or mucked about with levels/contrast to try to force something to appear.

As for mazing and Lightroom, here is a 100% crop from a moon shot last night with my 100-400 at 400mm, 1/250, f/7.1, 100 ISO, with some "robust" sharpening applied. Sorry about the cropped edges - my image hosting site only provides for link to 800x800 "thumbnails" max so I had to crop within that constraint...

IMAGE NOT FOUND

So far I am very happy with the camera. :D

BTW, the camera was supplied with firmware release 1.0.9.

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,628 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 04, 2009 10:22 |  #2

Looks like it tracked the dog very nicely. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

amyandmark3
Goldmember
1,796 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2009 10:51 |  #3

Nice job with the dog and blackbird. It shows your camera's ai servo works well, and also shows the shooter is fairly skilled too ;)

Mark

tdodd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 04, 2009 11:00 |  #4

With the 7D it takes a lot less skill than with a 50D, 40D, 30D etc., if you set the camera up properly in the first place. Some skill is required, for sure, but I would not get results as consistent as these with my xxD bodies. No chance. Having the right kit can make a big difference.

So far the 7D seems much closer to the 1D3 in performance and features than it does to the 50D. I like it. :) (I do have a 50D and a 1D3 too)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,073 posts
Gallery: 746 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 04, 2009 11:25 |  #5

Nice moon shot, you can see the crater where our missile hit down in the bottom right.

:lol:

.:: GAS-Free 'til July 2020 ::. for real this time, I swear

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 04, 2009 11:51 |  #6

Great thread,. the 7D is looking like the best bang for the buck of all Canon DSLRs thus far!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 04, 2009 11:53 |  #7

That's pretty darn impressive. The dog fills so little of the frame in the early shots, yet the camera tracked him very well. The bird looks maybe a bit soft? Not sure if that's due to your MA attempts either, though.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 04, 2009 12:19 |  #8

I've been enjoying the 7D so far myself, and partly for the same reason - the AF is a thrill to use. I practiced tracking a little last week while I was down visiting family in Florida. My first batch of shots was terrible, but that was my fault (usually is) - slow shutter speeds and galloping dogs don't mix!

Here's a couple - the camera is well able to keep up, as long as I was...

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/119058485.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/photosbytom/image/119058482.jpg

It takes a little time to get the right settings dialed in and to get used to the task at hand. But the 7D can do it! It reminds me a lot of my old 1D2 in terms of responsiveness and AF capability.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

tdodd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 04, 2009 12:54 |  #9

Brett wrote in post #8953630 (external link)
The bird looks maybe a bit soft? Not sure if that's due to your MA attempts either, though.

Some of the bird images are a little soft, but I guess the 100-400 is not the best choice for ultimate lens IQ at 400mm and f/5.6.

Then there is the possibility of shake or imperfect panning, or wing blur, even at 1/1600.

Then there is the fact that at large magnifications (above 10x8 for the full image) the DOF tables are not correct. Assuming a subject distance of 10m (33') the DOF at regular viewing sizes is only 13cm (5") so totally inadequate to have the whole bird pin sharp.

Then there is the fact that I performed only modest sharpening in DPP, which is not too sophisticated, and I left NR on defaults.

With all that said, here is a 50% crop from DPP with sharpening at 3.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

I think the eye and head is fairly sharp, but clearly the wing is soft, partly due to DOF limits and perhaps some motion blur.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 04, 2009 12:59 |  #10

That looks pretty good, Tim. DOF can be an issue at times. I experienced it a lot with the 5D's.

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

tcc
370 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 04, 2009 13:07 |  #11

Very nice set tdodd. Can you post your camera settings? I am having a hard time deciding what settings I should use. Basically I like to shoot action shots and landscape. So when the opprotunity arises I'd like to switch over to servo and fire away.

Do you wait for focus to lock on and then start firing away?

Canon 7D w/grip & RRS L-plate | 100 f2.8 Macro | 10-22 f3.5-4.5 | 70-200L f2.8 IS | 24-70L f2.8 |
100-400L f4.5-5.6 | 28-105 f3.5-4.5 | 50 f1.8 | ZE 50 f1.4 | 055xProB | Acratech GV2 | flickr (external link)

tdodd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 04, 2009 14:03 |  #12

I always wait for AF to lock/track before releasing the shutter, or at least that is my goal.

I only shoot raw and almost always use manual exposure, with spot metering, and I turn off all image processing "enhancements" like ALO, NR, HTP. I use Neutral picture style for a slightly more reliable histogram and normally I leave WB as Daylight regardless of the lighting. For reasons I can't explain I do leave LPIC enabled. I guess it seems like a useful enhancement, if I should happen to use DPP, unlike ALO, which just seems like a recipe for disaster, taking control away from me.

Based on my experience with the 1D3 my favoured AF modes are single point or single point plus expansion. Occasionally I will use all points for AI Servo for a difficult subject against a plain background. I have tracking sensitivity set to slow and have focus prioritised over speed. I only use the AF-On button to focus, leaving the shutter release only for metering and taking the shot.

With the 1D3 (and other bodies) I tended to use AI-Servo most of the time, even for a static subject, simulating One-Shot AF by pressing AF-On only to get a "lock" and then releasing the button. With the 7D I have configured the DOF preview button to switch from AI Servo to One-Shot quickly/easily without having to change focus modes. In poor light I am aware that One-Shot is much more reliable than AI-Servo so I will purposely switch to One-Shot if it maes sense to do so.

I think that's the fundamentals dealt with. If there is anything specific you want to ask then fire away.

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2009 16:34 |  #13

wow it did a very good job in tracking the bird with the dark background! Moon shot was great! with the skills you got.. must of been handheld too! =)

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

zoom_zoom
895 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 04, 2009 22:11 |  #14

The dog shots are great! Geez... I don't have any extra cash for a 7D yet :(

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 04, 2009 22:19 |  #15

tdodd wrote in post #8953935 (external link)
Some of the bird images are a little soft, but I guess the 100-400 is not the best choice for ultimate lens IQ at 400mm and f/5.6.
[...]
I think the eye and head is fairly sharp, but clearly the wing is soft, partly due to DOF limits and perhaps some motion blur.

Yes, in that crop the beak and eye look sharp. I wasn't aware it was at 400mm with that lens. I don't think you can expect too much better than that, with the related DoF concerns.

This camera is really starting to look like a winner. :)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

7,193 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D AI Servo running dog head on demo (and other observations)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.