Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D or 50D or Used MkIII - Suggestions?

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 04, 2009 12:07 |  #16

The 50D has the same AF system as the 40D...maybe a little faster, but the same. That makes it a parallel move and not worth the effort.

Since you can get a 1DIII for around the price of a 7D, might as well wait and get that. Unless you want the megapixels and video, anyway.

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,724 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Nov 04, 2009 12:17 |  #17

The 7D is the obvious choice unless your budget allows for the MkIII, and you'd prefer it's few advantages over the 7D's many advantages.

There is no comparison between 7D and 50D IMHO... and with prices that similar,. you get a whole lot more from the 7D.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Mr. ­ Clean
Cream of the Crop
6,002 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 04, 2009 12:37 |  #18

Since you're using a 40D now, I'd suggest going the 7D route. It seems to perform very admirably and you'll have some cash left in the pocket for a lens or back up body!

Mike
some shots @ Zenfolio (external link)
Gear List

Natural ­ Images
198 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 04, 2009 13:36 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

jr_senator wrote in post #8953668 (external link)
One does not have to "own" or even "have used" an item to bash it. Based on reviews and forum member's observations I determined that both Canon's and Sigma's 20mm lenses sucked. I also determined, in much the same way, that Voigtlander's 20mm lens is very good and now have one on order.

True. But it seems pretty stupid to talk about things that you know nothing about. To say something like "the 7D sucks" is pretty stupid considering that he has never even seen the camera and that many people seem to think otherwise. Take the 50D for example, when it first was released people were bashing and bashing it and hardly anybody even handled the camera, now that the camera is in their hands the bashing has quieted down and now there are quite a few good reviews. I was simply asking the guy why he is bashing the camera.

Canon 30D | Sigma 500 4.5 EX FORSALE | Canon 18-55 | Canon 18-135 | Kenko 1.4x TC | Velbon Neo Pod 6

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 04, 2009 15:14 |  #20

OK, partly true, you did ask what are the grounds for saying "...The 7D sucks...". And, I wouldn't mind knowing that myself. But, you also asked, "...how can you bash a camera that you do not even have?", I responded to that.

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2009 16:43 |  #21

I think the answer you want to look for are sample shots of 7D's AI SERVO... it's amazing! There are many posts showing this... I think you would give up the 40d and 50d for the 7D

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,001 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 04, 2009 17:12 |  #22

the 7d is miles ahead of the 40d and very close to the mk3 in fact for wild life the 7d is now my first choice .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

butcha27
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 04, 2009 17:20 |  #23

Wow guys some great input here. I was always leaning toward the 7D. Firstly I'm going to put the feelers out to my pro friends as to what they will be asking for their Mk III's once they get their MkIV's. One definite feature I'm looking forward to is micro adjust just to perfect my 300 2.8's performance with converters. But all 3 have MA.

If it's more than a 7D the answer is simple, it'll be a 7D, if it's comparable or less I'll re-consider.

Keep the suggestions coming, all are much appreciated.

Rob
www.robshots.com.au (external link)
My Gear
http://robshots.smugmu​g.com/Cricket/466317 (external link)

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 04, 2009 17:25 |  #24

The AF system on the 7D is a winner - it's perfect for sports and action photography. And, the 7D will yield better low-light results. I bought one, and I was one of the few that once stated that I would never buy an APS-C camera again. I bought it and I like it! (Still have my 5D2 though!).

Tom
5D IV, M5, RP, & various lenses

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 04, 2009 17:36 |  #25

GyRob wrote in post #8955399 (external link)
the 7d is...very close to the mk3...

I suppose that depends what one calls close. I understand the 7D has some new stuff, but for just one thing, I wouldn't want to return (I had a 20D) to the smaller viewfinder that an APS-C sensor camera has.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 04, 2009 17:40 |  #26

jr_senator wrote in post #8955545 (external link)
I suppose that depends what one calls close. I understand the 7D has some new stuff, but for just one thing, I wouldn't want to return (I had a 20D) to the smaller viewfinder that an APS-C sensor camera has.

Believe it or not, the 7D's viewfinder is slightly larger than that of the 1D3. It is a 1.0X magnification, 100% coverage viewfinder, which is wonderful.

https://photography-on-the.net …5469&highlight=​viewfinder

Tom

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 04, 2009 17:47 |  #27

Someone mentioned it earlier on here, that the 50d is a horizontal move more than a vertical move. If you are looking to upgrade, go for the 7d over 50d, hands down. The 50d is ok, but i wouldnt trade my 40d in for it.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 04, 2009 18:21 |  #28

Tom W wrote in post #8955569 (external link)
Believe it or not, the 7D's viewfinder is slightly larger than that of the 1D3.

Well, give me 20 lashes with a wet noodle. Still, I couldn't be comfortable with a fixed focusing screen and no rangefinder (macro, MF only lenses). Nor would I be as comfortable with the lenses I have on the smaller format.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,747 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Nov 04, 2009 20:14 |  #29

jr_senator wrote in post #8955804 (external link)
Well, give me 20 lashes with a wet noodle. Still, I couldn't be comfortable with a fixed focusing screen and no rangefinder (macro, MF only lenses). Nor would I be as comfortable with the lenses I have on the smaller format.

No lashes - I'm concerned that you'd enjoy it. :)

The lack of interchangeable focus screens makes the 7D less suitable for non-Canon manual-focus glass. You can manually focus with the standard screen or with live view, but from what I've read, those that like to shoot Zeiss or the Nikon 14-24 on their Canon bodies tend to like the high-precision AF screen option.

My manual focus experience so far is minimal - I manually focused on the moon when I stacked teleconverters the other night, but I couldn't quite match the capability of AF. To be fair, I was squatted down, looking up at the viewfinder. I should have pulled out the angle finder for that - it was an awkward position.

Tom

jr_senator
Goldmember
4,861 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Nov 04, 2009 20:50 |  #30

Tom W wrote in post #8956397 (external link)
I manually focused on the moon...

You were on the moon? Voigtlander lenses are MF as well.

sponsored links

3,540 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D or 50D or Used MkIII - Suggestions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.