Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 13:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Extremely impressed with the 7D

NaKiD ­ EyE
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 04, 2009 15:37 |  #16

10megapixel wrote in post #8954787 (external link)
Maybe it's not the camera ;)

what he said.

sponsored links
10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 04, 2009 15:37 as a reply to  @ post 8954818 |  #17

Thanks for the info Sauk. I may end up with a 7D soon;)

Gear List & Feedback

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2009 15:40 |  #18

I think the most important thing you can do is do what I did, take a card to the store. Put it in the camera and shoot.

Go home, look at the images and decide if it is what you want.

Personally I view the high ISO shots and love the grain look they give. The grain is very small and I have a feeling will clean up nicely if I ever had to. Though to be honest, I do not even remember the last time I used noise ninja/neat image on an image. You don't have to as you will never see it when you print it.

Nikon D700 D3s | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 04, 2009 15:41 |  #19

EdBray wrote in post #8954809 (external link)
3200 ISO, exif intact

QUOTED IMAGE

that is a killer shot!

Kevin
Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Fishel Photo (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 04, 2009 15:42 |  #20

Sauk wrote in post #8954859 (external link)
I think the most important thing you can do is do what I did, take a card to the store. Put it in the camera and shoot.

Go home, look at the images and decide if it is what you want.

Personally I view the high ISO shots and love the grain look they give. The grain is very small and I have a feeling will clean up nicely if I ever had to. Though to be honest, I do not even remember the last time I used noise ninja/neat image on an image. You don't have to as you will never see it when you print it.

I envy you folks that can do that. I'm in a city of 2 million people, and best buy is the ONLY camera store that carries this type of thing that I know if within 100 miles of me:( Of course that might make my gear lust harder to control?

Kevin
Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 04, 2009 15:46 |  #21

NorthShoreSurfPhotos wrote in post #8954350 (external link)
I own a 7d and it must be a lemon because the image quality is crap from iso100 and up.......

Maybe you should return it?

IMAGE: http://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

10megapixel
"I'm a little slow"
3,872 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 04, 2009 15:51 |  #22

timnosenzo wrote in post #8954889 (external link)
Maybe you should return it?
[GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED IN QUOTES]

Or just he could just send it to me and I'll "Test" it for him. I'll give a full report in a few months :D

Gear List & Feedback

EdBray
646 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 04, 2009 15:59 |  #23

100% crop of fly's eye. I am sure that the original file was shot on small jpg as I cannot open the raw files in CS4 yet.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i332.photobucke​t.com/albums/m338/EdBr​ay/eye100.jpg (external link)

Canon EOS 5DMkII, Canon EOS 10D, Canon EF17-40L, Canon EF24L TS-E MkII, Canon 24-105L IS, Canon 70-200L f4 IS, Canon EF 1.4x Extender MkII. Hasselblad 503CX, Hasselblad 500CM, Carl Zeiss 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm, 250mm For my epitaph: Do not let my wife sell any of my kit for what I've told her I paid for it! My Flickr (external link)

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 04, 2009 16:35 |  #24

NorthShoreSurfPhotos wrote in post #8954350 (external link)
I own a 7d and it must be a lemon because the image quality is crap from iso100 and up.......

??? return policy? Get a new one right away!

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2009 16:48 |  #25

ckfishel2001 wrote in post #8954876 (external link)
I envy you folks that can do that. I'm in a city of 2 million people, and best buy is the ONLY camera store that carries this type of thing that I know if within 100 miles of me:( Of course that might make my gear lust harder to control?

lol we do have the internets :D

No but seriously rent one if you have the money before buying.

AllenF
231 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 04, 2009 17:17 |  #26

Sauk
I understand what you wrote was YOUR opinion but to say that the 7D @ 5000 ISO is = to the 50D @ 1600 ISO is about 1 1/2 stops better. Everything I have seen posted shows the 7D to be about 1/3 to 1/2 stop better. Which for many including myself is not that big of a deal. The 50D at about 1/2 the cost of the 7D is what is keeping a lot of folks with their 50D's.

I like the feature set of the 7D but Canon is too wrapped up in MP racing so the IQ improvements are so small so as to be not worth mentioning, in the REAL world.

I like to see balance in a report. While we all get excited with new toys at some point we all come down from the sugar rush and see things in a more balanced light. Enjoy the new toy.

7D, 20D, G10, T90, A-1, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 500D, 2 ea Canon 580 ex, Canon ST-E2, Velbon El Carmagne 630 Carbon fiber tripod with an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Acratech Leveling Base, Velbon Carbon Fiber SHERPA PRO POD NEO POD 8, Tons of RRS plates and quick release mounts, and flash stands diffusors and back drops, ETC...

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2009 17:27 |  #27

AllenF,

Your right it is an opinion, but something else to consider is the image quality. 50D image quality to be honest was not that great. I had one, and I did not like it.

I personally believe that the 7D files are of high quality and are as close to the Mark III as I have seen. Mark III files are great.

I see more stops then what you see to be honest, but as you said every eye is going to see it differently. So please hopefully you take it as that, an opinion not fact.

But anyways the IQ, ISO, layout, quality of feel from the camera is good enough for me to purchase it.

(I should note that I open my files in LR3 (LR2) and if I have to export them to CS4 when needed.)

ckfishel2001
Goldmember
2,297 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 04, 2009 18:53 |  #28

Sauk wrote in post #8955247 (external link)
lol we do have the internets :D

No but seriously rent one if you have the money before buying.

I'm sure BH and Adorama wouldn't condone this, but in my case, it's just as good to do the pre-research....then order, try...and in only one case..return. They really are pretty good about it. Of course, all the stuff I've been trying to get rid of to pay off the 7d is too far past the return policy:)

Kevin
Gear List
Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Sauk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 04, 2009 18:55 |  #29

how is that tokina on the 7D? I see they make a 17-50 I believe, is it it good lens?

Gary2027
148 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 04, 2009 19:28 |  #30

ckfishel2001 wrote in post #8954876 (external link)

Yes, consider yourself lucky in a way. I live within easy striking distance of three (3!) Samy's Camera stores and five Best Buy stores. And a number of other independent camera stores (they're priced higher though).

Yikes. This is definitely a danger zone. It's been fun, but expensive.

sponsored links

3,695 views & 0 likes for this thread
Extremely impressed with the 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.