Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 04 Jun 2009 (Thursday) 01:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Has anyone has a good experience with a Mack warranty?

buurin
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 04, 2009 01:21 |  #1

My 30d shutter button broke (it needs to be pressed VERY hard to take the shot) and I have a 3 year warranty from Mack camera (www.mackcam.com (external link))

I bought this body used about 4 months ago (there is no more canon warranty). I called Mack to transfer the warranty from the original owner (for $15) and they processed that very quickly.

I have submitted my service request and so far everything looks good. They sent me a service request #, etc...

My concern is that searching the internet I have not read a single good thing about them. The stories I read all pretty much end with Mack ceasing to respond after a lot of back and forth. It sounds like some people didn't even get their gear back. I read reports to 4 months with no resolution!!

Summer is just beginning and I really dont want to go without a camera for too long... I'm scared to ship my body off.

Has anyone had a positive experience with Mack camera's warranty?

Thanks
B

B
30D ● 5D ● Canon 24-70/2.8L
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 04, 2009 06:16 |  #2

I also purchased a Mack warranty, but have never had to use it.

Like you, I did internet research on them, and like you, I was very concerned about things I read, including the overwhelming preponderance of negative remarks.

Please make a comment to this thread after all is said and done. If you have time, write a review of the process. It may be helpful in the future to others considering Mack warranties.

Website (external link) |

SpiltPickle
739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2006

Jun 26, 2009 07:49 |  #3

Keep in mind people seem to be more willing to go out of their way to complain about something than they do to praise something. :) I personally have no experience with them, and have been researching it too for my 100-400L lens I just purchased.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Jun 26, 2009 09:04 |  #4

I just had my 30D shutter button fixed. No warranty though so it cost me £125. It works nicely now.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

buurin
THREAD ­ STARTER
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 26, 2009 12:26 |  #5

$200... Thats pretty expensive considering I can get a whole new body for $500 used.

I am tempted to just buy a new body -- and send in the current body and see what happens. That'd be an expensive experiment.

B
Canon 17-40/4.0L Canon 50/1.4 ● Canon 100mm/2.8 Macro ● 2xVivitar 285HVs ● 430EX ● Cybersync Flash Triggers ● AB800 ● AB400 ● Vagabond II

T.D.
33,598 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 26, 2009 12:33 |  #6

I actually had a very good experience with Mack a couple of years ago. They fixed the issue (they couldn't do it themselves so they sent it to Canon). It was pretty painless and I was satisfied with their work in the end.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

buurin
THREAD ­ STARTER
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 26, 2009 22:27 |  #7

It took 3 weeks to find someone who had a good experience. WOW.

Thanks for the feedback, that will help me sleep at night after I send out my camera :)

B

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 26, 2009 22:37 |  #8

The people who sell them make a small commission off the sale. In 48 years of working with cameras, I have never bought a separate warranty. If there is a repair shop nearby, I try that first, then the manufacturer facility if I have a problem with a camera. Over a career I expect I spent very little on repairs, probably equal to what I've spent on maintenance.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

buurin
THREAD ­ STARTER
747 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 27, 2009 02:28 |  #9

I bought the camera used and the previous owner bought the warranty which was transferrable to me for $15... For $15 bucks it was a no brainer.

When buying new I've never bought an extended warranty.. However If I did buy an expensive body (5d or up) I'd consider an extended warranty depending on the cost.

B

mackcam
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 05, 2009 20:30 |  #10

buurin wrote in post #8046647 (external link)
My 30d shutter button broke (it needs to be pressed VERY hard to take the shot) and I have a 3 year warranty from Mack camera (www.mackcam.com (external link))

I bought this body used about 4 months ago (there is no more canon warranty). I called Mack to transfer the warranty from the original owner (for $15) and they processed that very quickly.

I have submitted my service request and so far everything looks good. They sent me a service request #, etc...

My concern is that searching the internet I have not read a single good thing about them. The stories I read all pretty much end with Mack ceasing to respond after a lot of back and forth. It sounds like some people didn't even get their gear back. I read reports to 4 months with no resolution!!

Summer is just beginning and I really dont want to go without a camera for too long... I'm scared to ship my body off.

Has anyone had a positive experience with Mack camera's warranty?

Thanks
B

Dear Buurin,
My name is Desiree and I am Mack Camera's Customer Relations Supervisor. Please keep in mind that most people post negative experiences as opposed to positive experiences. If you still have questions regarding our warranties please contact me offline at elpdesk@mackcam.com (external link).
Thank you,
Desiree
Mack Camera and Video Inc.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 05, 2009 21:41 as a reply to  @ mackcam's post |  #11

On Reseller ratings, Mack camera service rates a 6.4 out of 10, not a very good rating.

And as you can see here (external link), the Better Business Bureau of New Jersey gives them a B- rating with 130 complaints filed against the company - a very poor rating.

As Buurin stated, when googled, the list of complaints is extensive with far fewer positive reports.

Mack Camera Service appears to have a poor rating.

I would not purchase a warranty with Mack Camera.

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,620 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 06, 2009 08:02 |  #12

CannedHeat wrote in post #8963730 (external link)
I would not purchase a warranty with Mack Camera.

If that is the case, who is good to purchase a warranty with?

SmugMug (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,167 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 06, 2009 10:18 |  #13

Harm wrote in post #8965672 (external link)
If that is the case, who is good to purchase a warranty with?

I have no idea.

When I purchased my camera, I also purchased a Mack warranty.

Unfortunately, I did so before researching and gaining knowledge of Mack camera service bad reputation.

Since then, two different camera store owners I know have told me that if my 5D MK II ever needs repair, and if it is not under the canon warranty, to go ahead and bite the bullet and send it to canon and pay for repair. They told me they have had repeated complaints of camera store customers sending stuff off to mack and either not getting the repairs properly done or the camera coming back in worse shape than when sent.

zed
318 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 06, 2009 10:26 |  #14

I am in the middle of a repair now. My shutter broke and I sent it in a month ago. The initial repair took a bit longer than I expected. And, when I got the camera back, the vertical grip shutter release did not work. I am waiting for UPS shipping info to return the camera back to be fixed again.

Luckily my shooting season is over for now, if it were not, I would be pretty upset. I also have a couple of back up cameras, so that helps if there are issues with one of them. I do have to say that I am happy with the communication so far. The customer service rep that I have been dealing with has been very responsive. If I can get this second repair done and back in a reasonable time frame and everything is working right, I'll be satisfied with them. I'll have a new shutter and still another 2.5 years of coverage.

Jeff

http://www.automotivep​hoto.net/ (external link)My Site (external link)

ThomGascoigne
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 06, 2009 10:34 |  #15

Mack are absolute rubbish! I can't express my disgust in dealing with them enough!

5D MK II | 20D | 14 F/2.8L II | 24-70 F/2.8L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS | [FONT="Arial Black"]28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580 EX II
Gear List

sponsored links

4,631 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone has a good experience with a Mack warranty?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.