Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 08 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 15:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 2 - In Love!

pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Nov 08, 2009 15:30 |  #1

I was currently working only with PSE7 and must admit that processing lots of pictures in one go, was a right PITA...making batch adjustments especially was slow and tedious.

Shot an indoor event last night and just having the pretty much all the adjustments all in the same place and being able to use the "copy & paste develop" settings is simply amazing! Processing these kind of shots is such a breeze now!

I'm only beginning to get to grips with Lightroom, so I've got a lot to learn, but I'm mighty impressed already!

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 08, 2009 15:46 |  #2

Try the Lightroom 3 beta... its even better and it doesn't expire until April 2010.

Gear List

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 08, 2009 15:48 |  #3

I've been thinking about taking that step myself and would like to hear more about the value you think you're getting for the price. I use DPP for much of my work, PSE4 when I need to straighten or do some cloning, and then a third party application to make quick work of effects like vignettes, etc. You can copy and paste edits from one photo to a batch of others in DPP. Why did you elect to purchase LR and what wasn't DPP doing for you?

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Nov 08, 2009 16:00 |  #4

PixelMagic - yeah I heard about LR3, so I'll look into that!

Peacefield - Well, firstly I got Lightroom off another user here for a good price! ;-)a

...but also, you kind of answered the reasons in your post. In lightroom, once you start editing, you don't need to leave! Unless of course you need to edit further in PS.

Then there is the save for web feature...and in mine I've added a Flickr "tie in" so it literally uploads onto my Flickr account and negates the need for the Flickr uploader.

I haven't even begun to look at presets properly yet, but just toying with a couple of them and again, so easy to batch apply them to a group of photos.

I'm sure there are many more reasons why LR can be more useful than just DPP - maybe someone who has had more experience with all the features could chime in to help you with your decision.

I will say one thing though, before I had LR, I used to wonder what the big deal was...I have only appreciated it once I used it for large volumes of photos!

Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 08, 2009 16:38 |  #5

pridash,

" Lightroom2 book for digital photographers" by Scott Kelby really unlocked Lightroom 2.5 for me. I would of been lost without it.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 08, 2009 17:00 |  #6

Thanks Jon - I'll look into that!

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 09, 2009 01:43 as a reply to  @ pridash's post |  #7

+1 on Kelby's LR book. He does a pretty good job of laying out every aspect of using Lightroom, with a lot of helpful tips and tricks. I had looked around the web at some tutorials, but learned a lot more from reading the book, and feel a lot more confident (and competent!) using LR now.

Pridash - I, too, like the fact that virtually every PP tool I need is integrated into LR and I don't need to utilize multiple programs for my images. I also have DPP and PS Elements on my computer, but rarely ever use them since switching to LR. I downloaded the 30-day trial and used it quite a bit, then when it expired I thought maybe I'd just switch back to DPP/Elements and save myself the cost of buying LR. I don't think I even made it three days before I was on Adobe's site inputting my credit card info and buying the registered version.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Pete ­ Gl
421 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 09, 2009 02:32 as a reply to  @ Veemac's post |  #8

I have The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers by Martin Evening, a recommendation for that book too.

I also 95% love Lightroom 2.5, it loses the 5% on it's poor sharpening ability.

I find that for the shots I really want to make a good job of PP I have to reopen in PSE7 and use the shapening facilty in that program.

Pete

Canon 5DMkIII Canon 24-105mm Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro Canon 50mm 1.4 Canon 17-40mm Sigma 70-300mm DG APO Hoya 77mm Pro 1 Digital CircPol Filter
Manfrotto 055X ProB Tripod Manfrotto 468RC2 Head Hahnel Remote Cable Release HRC280 hot shoe bubble level el cheapo tabletop tripod (but very useful at times) Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. (Excellent!!)

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 09, 2009 05:46 |  #9

Peacefield wrote in post #8978365 (external link)
I use DPP for much of my work

I use Lightroom for around 99% of mine.

PSE4 when I need to straighten or do some cloning

Done in Lightroom

then a third party application to make quick work of effects like vignettes, etc

Done in Lightroom

And the big advantage of doing it all in Lightroom is that you don't need to keep saving intermediate files in tiff or jpeg

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 09, 2009 06:56 |  #10

Peacefield, you've gotta download the free beta version of LR3 and have a play with it, the workflow you've explained sounds like a nightmare to me, LR is a 1 stop shop for all those things plus much more. Still 4 month or so till the beta expires so plenty of time to familiarise yourself with it before having to a make a decision on purchase, however as it's still in beta there will certainly be a few bugs.

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 09, 2009 07:27 |  #11

Okay, you convinced me; downloading the trial now. Thanks.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 09, 2009 09:05 |  #12

Big bugs in the LR3 beta. Only use it on duplicate files.

Victoria :D
Lightroom Queen website (external link)
Free & Comprehensive Lightroom Books (external link)
Free List of Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 09, 2009 10:44 |  #13

PJ (and others) -- welcome to "the club"!

Lightroom has had a huge impact because it was designed from the ground up to be a very comprehensive "workflow manager" for photographers, and it keeps getting better. Most apps have a lot of bits and pieces thrown together in somewhat disconnected ways, but LR has built the most needed "stuff" into an integrated interface. Some people don't care for it, but more and more people love it -- even those who don't shoot Raw.

Have fun and remember that you can play endlessly with photos in LR without damage. Anything done today can be undone and redone tomorrow without the baggage of extra copies and tiff/psd layered files.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 09, 2009 14:19 |  #14

Victoria Bampton wrote in post #8982457 (external link)
Big bugs in the LR3 beta. Only use it on duplicate files.

what are the big bugs? Anything to be concerned about?
I haven't used LR3 extensively... only imported a folder full of pictures so far to play with.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

pridash
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 09, 2009 15:12 |  #15

tonylong wrote in post #8983040 (external link)
PJ (and others) -- welcome to "the club"!

Lightroom has had a huge impact because it was designed from the ground up to be a very comprehensive "workflow manager" for photographers, and it keeps getting better. Most apps have a lot of bits and pieces thrown together in somewhat disconnected ways, but LR has built the most needed "stuff" into an integrated interface. Some people don't care for it, but more and more people love it -- even those who don't shoot Raw.

Have fun and remember that you can play endlessly with photos in LR without damage. Anything done today can be undone and redone tomorrow without the baggage of extra copies and tiff/psd layered files.

Yeah I completely forgot about that benefit too! Just downloaded Mogrify for the watermarking and trying to get to grips with it.

Now, I need to get hold of some nice presets also...anyone point me to a good source?

sponsored links

2,097 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 2 - In Love!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.