Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 12:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

South Florida/ Keys/ Key West Questions

Eaton ­ Photos
996 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 08, 2009 12:17 |  #1

Greetings everyone,

As I put in the Subject, I am headed to South Florida & the Keys. However, I do not have any ideas, of what to shoot.

Our trip will be going down I-75, from KY to KW. Not looking to make any shooting stops, till we get to the Tampa/ Clearwater Areas. I was thinking of taking the old road (tamiami route), from Tampa to Naples, then hook, 75 over to Miami. From Miami, take US-1. Things to see & do in the Keys? Any Input.

Aside from the suggested things, like Sunset @ Mallory Sqr., the Lighthouse, AKA the known attractions, in Key West. What else is there to see & shoot? I love shooting Architecture, Sunrises/ Sunsets, Cityscapes & Landscapes. My primary reason, for the trip, is to shoot the SBI Offshore Worlds in Key West, at the end of this week, for several of the teams.

Route back, will be up 95. Maybe stopping in the Miami area, for a night, then up to Titusville, for a Shuttle launch, then up A1A to St. Augustine, then to Savannah, then up to Asheville, NC. Points of interest' in Georgia/ Savannah. Things, that do not cost' money. Architecture once again. Locations of Historical significance.

After Asheville, I'm looking at taking the old road (441/ 71), over the Smokey's, instead of taking 40 over. Any things to see, do in the Smokey's. I haven't been to the Smokey's since I was 3. I'm 28 now. :)

Thanks for any input.

JamesFacebook Profile  (external link)| Facebook Page (external link)
My Images (external link)
| My Gear

sponsored links
rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Nov 09, 2009 05:35 |  #2

There are some nice beaches around Panama City. Not sure if that is on your path.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Thalagyrt
D'OH. I need to wake up some more.
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 09, 2009 14:31 |  #3

The Everglades National Park is directly on your path down to Key West/back up. If you have the time to take a day and go around there - drive down to Flamingo and back and stop and take time at all of the offshoots, maybe do some hiking off trail if you're feeling adventurous - I can almost assure you that you'll have some photo ops you won't find anywhere else in the world. :)

James

Eaton ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
996 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 10, 2009 00:07 |  #4

James,

Thank you for your input. However, time is going to be the big question. I do not know if I will have enough time, to go exploring, off the main route to KW. I definitely will not have a day, or enough time, to go hiking. If I did, I would gladly do so, but, I am also taking my family with me, and having two kids under two years of age, is not too conducive for hiking. When, I have the chance, to make another trip, to South Florida, I will build in enough time, to hit Everglades, and maybe do an Airboat ride.

Since, your in the Miami Area, what is there to see & do? I'm looking for Historic Architecture (Art Deco District comes to mind), Scenic Landscapes/ Cityscapes, Lighthouses, off the beaten path, so to speak.

JamesFacebook Profile  (external link)| Facebook Page (external link)
My Images (external link)
| My Gear

Thalagyrt
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 10, 2009 10:31 |  #5

Hrm, well, there isn't much off the beaten path in Miami itself that doesn't involve going on a boat, however the Art Deco district is an interesting place.

One place of note is Matheson Hammock Park. It's kind of off the beaten path, hidden away in Coral Gables. It's a beach with a giant lagoon in it, complete with a restaurant that's a burger joint by day and a fancy seafood dinner restaurant by night, and I personally can vouch for it being good food. If you look up the Red Fish Grill you'll see how to get there.

Just down the road from that is the Fairchild Tropical Garden, but I don't think you'll find too much photo worthy stuff there. Pinecrest Gardens, which is on Red Road and also nearby has some beautiful scenery and ever since Parrot Jungle moved out of there it hasn't been too full of people. The funny part is that most of the parrots flew back there after being released in the new location, so you'll see a lot of wild parrots there. If you've got an UWA there is a beautiful old banyon tree there.

Also of interest might be downtown Coconut Grove if you're stopping by at night.

James

johnj2803
869 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 10, 2009 10:50 |  #6

i'm not sure if you have time but Vizcaya is nice to picture architecturally...

from US 1 (south dixie) you take brickell ave instead of i95 going back. Vizcaya is at the end of Brickell. You can find your way back to i95 after vizcaya, there is an exit to the interstate after you exit vizcaya.

I would also recommend downtown miami, so instead of exiting to i95 from vizcaya, go straight to US1 (biscayne), thats a good place to shoot too :D

My flickr (external link)

Thalagyrt
4,816 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 10, 2009 10:53 |  #7

Doh! How did I forget Vizcaya! Beautiful, that's another place to see for sure!

James

wrussi
788 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 10, 2009 14:38 |  #8

in miami:
vizcaya
south beach
miami skyline
key biscayne

and on the keys:
7 mile bridge.. the old bridge
old railroad bridge
mile marker 0

Gear List
my website
www.wrphotostudio.com (external link)

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 10, 2009 15:24 |  #9

This is well worth the trip http://www.corkscrew.a​udubon.org/ (external link)

Also when you head east out of Naples, FL across the Everglades look for a small park on the north side of the road. It's an outstanding walk into the Everglades (and it's free). Look for gators along the road (in the ditches) sunning themselves

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

sponsored links

928 views & 0 likes for this thread
South Florida/ Keys/ Key West Questions
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.