Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Nov 2009 (Monday) 16:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help with lens choice!

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 11, 2009 13:39 |  #16

JayStar86 wrote in post #8997213 (external link)
Now I wonder what there charging the extra $$$ for ? Hmmmm... Im going to venture and guess build quality!

they are charging more because they can. and in actuality, it's more like 3rd party manufacturers are charging less because they have to. Tamron could add USM, ultra quiet motors, non moving focus rings, etc to their 17-50 and still they can't charge as much as Canon does. The reason people use the Tammy is because they can get a very similar lens at a fraction of the cost. that's where Tamron and Sigma have to position themselves in the market.

although my theory can be thrown out the window with the superior Sigma 50 1.4...but that also trumps the Canon version in build quality.

Joe- 2 bodies, L 2.8 zoom trilogy and a couple of primes
iRocktheShot.com (external link) - Portfolio (external link)

Gear/Feedback
Facebook "Fan" Page (external link) -

sponsored links
CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 11, 2009 13:41 |  #17

JayStar86 wrote in post #8997251 (external link)
well first im not evaluating lenses based on wedding work in specific.... i just said event work like weddings.... in order to say event work where low-lighting will be available with limited flash capabilities at times.

and second, why do i all of a sudden feel like im defending myself in this thread? LOL.;)

Didn't I post this thread to get some help from the POTN crowd... or did I post this thread in the wrong way? Do I need to type out every detail so that the semantics and meanings of things implied by me are not mis-interpreted.... like is my first post wrong in some way?

Im confused.... is this because I dismissed two lenses outright and the Tamron 28-75 owners have come to defend it against the nay-sayer?

i just think you are reading tone in posts. i dont think people are being argumentative, i think they are actually trying to help you by showing pros and cons, etc.

edit: oh, and i dont think the fact that people own those lenses is making them defensive. i find L-whores to be much more defensive of their red rings (I own 2). "how could a lens 1/3 the cost of my precious L ever come close?!?!?!"

i consider myself pretty realistic when it comes to these lenses. when i was looking for a standard walkaround zoom, the 24-70 wasn't even an option. and I have used that lens for WEEKS at a time since my mentor has one. and budget isn't a worry since I make a pretty good living. bang for the buck wise it wasn't worth it to me. i dont need to buy a lens just for the red ring.

Gear/Feedback

JayStar86
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 11, 2009 13:44 |  #18

CosmoKid wrote in post #8997263 (external link)
they are charging more because they can. and in actuality, it's more like 3rd party manufacturers are charging less because they have to. Tamron could add USM, ultra quiet motors, non moving focus rings, etc to their 17-50 and still they can't charge as much as Canon does. The reason people use the Tammy is because they can get a very similar lens at a fraction of the cost. that's where Tamron and Sigma have to position themselves in the market.

although my theory can be thrown out the window with the superior Sigma 50 1.4...but that also trumps the Canon version in build quality.

I guess that makes sense^^^^

CosmoKid wrote in post #8997271 (external link)
i just think you are reading tone in posts. i dont think people are being argumentative, i think they are actually trying to help you by showing pros and cons, etc.

Perhaps I am CosmoKid.... Dunno. I guess I mis-interpreted then.

thanks for posting up though.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

CosmoKid
Goldmember
4,235 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 11, 2009 13:50 |  #19

JayStar86 wrote in post #8997292 (external link)
Perhaps I am CosmoKid.... Dunno. I guess I mis-interpreted then.

thanks for posting up though.

no worries. i think when people type they do it with that happy tone in their head but it doesn't always translate that way to the reader.

Gear/Feedback

Ryan7490
264 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 11, 2009 14:18 |  #20

CosmoKid wrote in post #8997263 (external link)
they can't charge as much as Canon does. The reason people use the Tammy is because they can get a very similar lens at a fraction of the cost. that's where Tamron and Sigma have to position themselves in the market.

To sum it up, you pay a couple more hundred dollars so it says 'Canon' on the side of the lens instead of 'tamron'.

Nikon D610, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 VRII

(external link)

JayStar86
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,531 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 11, 2009 19:33 |  #21

Ryan7490 wrote in post #8997469 (external link)
To sum it up, you pay a couple more hundred dollars so it says 'Canon' on the side of the lens instead of 'tamron'.

LOL.... no doubt about it.... but Canon does make a quality product at the same time.

---Jay---
Gear and Feedback
flikr (external link)

sponsored links

2,076 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please help with lens choice!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.