Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Nov 2009 (Wednesday) 21:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Red Lens Flare Flash Effect? (seen in videos)

A-FABS
55 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 11, 2009 21:59 |  #1

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? That red vertical lens flare/flash you see in videos? I would like to know who to manipulate this into photos. Here's an example of it, it's a short minute and a half clip from the snowboard film Pop. http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=LPG5K1CypU0 (external link)
Do you think they add it in in post production or is that just typical lens flare? And how could i create something like that in photos?

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 11, 2009 22:11 |  #2

i doubt that was added in PP...more to do with the sun and it's angle, i'd guess...

A-FABS
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 11, 2009 23:06 |  #3

thaking wrote in post #9000041 (external link)
i doubt that was added in PP...more to do with the sun and it's angle, i'd guess...

that's what i was thinking...however there's time when its just keeps flashing, seems unlikely

Flickr (external link)

SlvrScoobie
169 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 12, 2009 00:46 |  #4

looks like an effect simulating 16mm film at the end of the roll
edit, maybe not the one i was thinking of but still looks like "fogging" of the roll
try searching for that

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,858 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 12, 2009 11:48 |  #5

Are you talking about the reddish tone that the vertical edges of the image take in some portions of the video?

I made a gradient:

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-of-the-Day/gradient/711286205_e2nNS-XL.jpg

and dragged across the image on a new layer to overlay the gradient on the image. I set the gradient's layer to "screen" and adjusted the opacity to about 65% - play with the blend mode and opacity to get the interaction between the gradient and the image. I also created a mask for the gradient layer so that the layer was masked in the middle 3/5 and transitioned to full opacity on the edges. I played around with distorting the gradient by using the "Filters>Distort>Lens Correction" and making the gradient bulge with some barrel distortion - you can also mess with the vignetting in this dialog to break up the uniformity of the gradient.

Here's the random image I used for this test

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-of-the-Day/Boots2flatc/711286190_YAaPS-L.jpg

I got:

IMAGE: http://kirkt.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-of-the-Day/Boots2flatc-screen/711286195_VzKHU-X2.jpg

Hope this helps, I am sure there are a million and one ways to do this.

Kirk

Kirk
---

Kyle ­ is ­ raaddd
529 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 12, 2009 14:00 |  #6

I think Kirk is definitely headed in the right direction!!
I also think that in the video, the flare-ish things were added in PP.

Flickr (external link)

A-FABS
THREAD ­ STARTER
55 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 12, 2009 22:33 |  #7

kirk thanks for the little tutorial. i gave it a try but had a little difficultly make the custom gradient in gimp...couldn't get the two colors merging on each end into transparent...i'll keep pluggin away at it though...and i agree kyle, i think the flare in the video i posted is done in PP

Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 12, 2009 22:35 |  #8

SlvrScoobie wrote in post #9000598 (external link)
edit, maybe not the one i was thinking of but still looks like "fogging" of the roll
try searching for that

^^^ This ^^^

It's meant to simulate an effect seen on film.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Phiberglass
482 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 27, 2010 23:17 |  #9

You can always film a candle and then overlay that on the video and throw some effects in.

Canon 7D | Fujifilm x100 | 50 f/1.8 | 70-200 f/4 L
Portfolio (external link) // Flickr (external link) // Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 28, 2010 07:16 |  #10

SlvrScoobie wrote in post #9000598 (external link)
try searching for that

Agree. Looks like what you get when a film isn't handled properly and exposed to light.
Looks like it's added in post here. Not too hard.

Kirk gave a good example. You might want to try some different blend modes (soft light, overlay)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

lecherro
809 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 28, 2010 15:57 |  #11

The rick you see is a combo of two things. One called "flicking the gate" This is where the camera operator flicks the opening, called the gate, around the shutter block where the film runs between the lens and camera. That is the Flash, usually of white, you are seeing the red could be from the way the light affects the film. Coupled with this is the start up time of the camera. as the operator keys the camera the film does not always run at a perfect speed, this can also lend a hand to this effect. As for doing it in a photo i would use te tutorial above, tho it may not feel the same as what you see is in a moving picture and you are dealing with stills. The motion is what really brings this feeling to life. Hope it hels.

First step........ Take the lens cap off.

sponsored links

4,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Red Lens Flare Flash Effect? (seen in videos)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.