Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 Nov 2009 (Monday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Collection

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 11, 2009 07:29 |  #31

Order from Amazon under different names and return them just before the last day.

Seriously? How about a night job at Wal-Mart stocking shelves? A few months of that and you will have the lenses paid for. Someone told me a long time ago - Cheese does not work. Wish I had something better to suggest.

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Nov 11, 2009 08:00 |  #32

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #8985304 (external link)
How would you suggest one get the capital to purchase a nice and expensive collection of Canon L lenses...like these? Small business loan? Personal loan? Any creative ways I should consider?

Prime Trinity: 35L, 85L, 135L
Zoom Trinity: 16-35, 24-70 (already owned), 70-200 f/2.8
Specialty Trinity:
EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens, Wide Tilt/Shift TS-E 17mm f/4L Manual Focus Lens for EOS, Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens

That assortment of lenses is more than I needed as a working editorial shooter for decades, so I wonder if it might be helpful if you told us just what type of work it is that you'll be using them for?

As for "creative ways you should consider", my 300D & kit lens paid for the 20D, 28-70 f/2.8, & 70-200 f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8... with a ton of money left over, so maybe you're putting the cart before the horse.
And there are plenty of places where you can reasonably rent a cam + lens if you need them for special situations, & the cost can be passed on to the client.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,616 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 11, 2009 08:12 |  #33

Dave.H wrote in post #8989364 (external link)
Prostitution or drugs.

I tried pimping myself out for extra cash once...
I then had to sell drugs just to make up for the losses!!!

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2009 11:30 |  #34

I get what everyone is saying and agree, I'm just telling you, I like to have the equipment at my disposal to experiment with this art...I tend to look at me and my 5D Mark II with my 24-70 and Nifty 50 as a artist or painter with red and yellow paints only. Usually an artist has a whole array of colors at his disposal so they can get brilliant work done; but paint is far less expensive than the Canon L lenses...lol...

If I had more lenses on my pallet I feel I could do more and experiment more and grow in the art...but right now I just have two options to go to. I also want a MacBook Pro, which I have saved for, and I'm about to purchase, to help me with my photo and VIDEO work which is another area I want to grow into, like a painter who also draws. The computer will allow me to organize, edit, fix, and do creative stuff with my output from my camera, so its a big purchase in this scheme of things. Savings will have to be how I get the rest of my lens collection, until I make extra money, which I feel some of the advice here is what I will follow to get that money.

So I know I can save, or get other jobs or stop putting the cart before the horse and just start small and build, which I think I'm going to have to do, I'm just trying to plan and see if there are other avenues for me to get there faster.

Again, I'm from the instant gratification generation. But all your advice (except those people being smart a$$e$) I appreciate.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,616 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 11, 2009 11:37 |  #35

renting when you need is an option as well. Gets you the chance to earn a bit of $$ w/o having to shell out a whole bunch right off the bat

EOS R / 7D2 / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

kwb
154 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 11, 2009 11:48 |  #36

ThomGascoigne wrote in post #8989367 (external link)
Off topic, what are IRA's ?

http://en.wikipedia.or​g …vidual_Retireme​nt_Account (external link)

RWatkins
Goldmember
1,229 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 11, 2009 12:17 |  #37

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #8996548 (external link)
I get what everyone is saying and agree, I'm just telling you, I like to have the equipment at my disposal to experiment with this art...I tend to look at me and my 5D Mark II with my 24-70 and Nifty 50 as a artist or painter with red and yellow paints only. Usually an artist has a whole array of colors at his disposal so they can get brilliant work done; but paint is far less expensive than the Canon L lenses...lol...

If I had more lenses on my pallet I feel I could do more and experiment more and grow in the art...but right now I just have two options to go to. I also want a MacBook Pro, which I have saved for, and I'm about to purchase, to help me with my photo and VIDEO work which is another area I want to grow into, like a painter who also draws. The computer will allow me to organize, edit, fix, and do creative stuff with my output from my camera, so its a big purchase in this scheme of things. Savings will have to be how I get the rest of my lens collection, until I make extra money, which I feel some of the advice here is what I will follow to get that money.

So I know I can save, or get other jobs or stop putting the cart before the horse and just start small and build, which I think I'm going to have to do, I'm just trying to plan and see if there are other avenues for me to get there faster.

Again, I'm from the instant gratification generation. But all your advice (except those people being smart a$$e$) I appreciate.

Do you need a MBP? Could you get by with an iMac or Mac Mini, thereby freeing up some money for lens purchases. Also, when it comes time to buy the MBP, can I suggesting looking at the previous revision at MacMall if you have not. I got a screaming deal on a matte 17 unibody with a 2.66 GHz CPU. Apple bumped it to 2.8, but kept everything else the same. Going with the 2.66 saved me 500.00!

Stuff and things
President – International Brotherhood of Instagram Haters

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2009 13:08 |  #38

Honestly it sounds like you are just making an excuse not to go out there and work.

The painter analogy is complete BS.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2009 16:42 |  #39

RWatkins wrote in post #8996811 (external link)
Do you need a MBP? Could you get by with an iMac or Mac Mini, thereby freeing up some money for lens purchases. Also, when it comes time to buy the MBP, can I suggesting looking at the previous revision at MacMall if you have not. I got a screaming deal on a matte 17 unibody with a 2.66 GHz CPU. Apple bumped it to 2.8, but kept everything else the same. Going with the 2.66 saved me 500.00!

Yes, I need a MBP. I work in IT, the new iMac's are nice, but not for me, the Mac Mini's aren't either...I have saved for the MBP, and I get a discount through an Employee Purchase Program, I work at Seagate, so I've compared with that new MacMall 17" deal, I get a tiny bit more savings through my EPP, thats what I'm going to do, but I'm also waiting to see if the new i7 Cores are coming out on it soon...thanks for the tip though, my friend had told me about it already and I compared. Its a great deal.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 11, 2009 16:45 |  #40

aroundlsu wrote in post #8997085 (external link)
Honestly it sounds like you are just making an excuse not to go out there and work.

Ha, thanks! Well, actually I don't have any work, its not work for me right now, its a passion, art, and hobby. So I promise its not an excuse to not go work, I wouldn't want it to be work however, I do have a full time job that IS WORK. Photography is not WORK, for me, its fun, I hope its never WORK, and its always FUN and PASSION and ART...sorry if you feel different. If it becomes a small business that rolls into extra cash, that is mighty fine too, but I hope its never WORK. When it comes to a job, there is a reason its called WORK and not ...FUN. If everyone's job were FUN, and we all said, I'm have to go to FUN today...well...you get my point...but maybe one day it does become a full time job and is still FUN, that would be the best case, right not its not, its just me having fun, trying to learn, and wanting to play with lenses and see what I can do with my creativity.

The painter analogy was just that an analogy, you can call it bs if you want, sure there are some talented people who can do amazing art with 2 colors and a canvas, but there are also amazing artists who can do amazing stuff with a lot of colors and other kinds of media...I guess I just want to explore photography with lenses I've never seen or held before, so sue me. Borrowing a lens, renting them, all good ideas I'll try out. Eventually I will fall in love with some and WANT to keep them.

ThomGascoigne
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 11, 2009 22:05 |  #41

aroundlsu wrote in post #8997085 (external link)

I disagree totally with that.

Some people can go and do everything they need to with what they have, Other people such as myself feel they would be benefited by having more tools at their disposal.

I would have agreed with you about the painter analogy before I was at art school for 2 years.

Now with my new found education I agree %100 with OP

5D MK II | 20D | 14 F/2.8L II | 24-70 F/2.8L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS | [FONT="Arial Black"]28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580 EX II
Gear List

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 12, 2009 00:20 |  #42

I know a lot of people do more with less, and some do less with more, I get that stuff, but I think I'd learn a lot more and have more creativity to explore with a few more lenses to choose from. But everyone is right, its gonna take some time to build up a nice collection, since I'm not independently wealthy.

kryptic4l
53 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 12, 2009 02:04 |  #43

Well I would normally tell you to join the oilpatch, but it just is not that simple these days.
It has always been a trade off though Make lots of money - lose the wife and your life.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 12, 2009 10:32 |  #44

I only buy gear I have the money for already, have done that since starting out and it's the way to go. It takes time to build a collection that you'll use for different events. They're long term investments for sure and not just go buy to have one. Honestly think you learn to be a better shooter with lesser gear and building your way up though, I know a few who are wealthy or have someone that will fork over money without question and they're stuff is mediocre at best even with the top lenses. Does help when you know what you want to do to have multiple lenses, just need to know how to use them and what you want first.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

mikekelley
"Meow! Bark! Honk! Hiss! Grrr! Tweet!"
7,317 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 14, 2009 12:06 |  #45

a 5d markII and 24-70 is more than enough to make a ****-ton of money

just go shoot and stop caring about lenses you don't need.

Los Angeles-Based Architectural, Interior, And Luxury Real Estate Photography (external link)
How To Photograph Real Estate and Architecture (external link)
My Fine Art Galleries (external link)
My articles at Fstoppers.com (external link)

sponsored links

5,829 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Collection
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.