Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 12 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 06:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera + Gear storage using esky

ThomGascoigne
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 12, 2009 06:58 |  #1

Hi guys

So I want to buy an esky that will fit in the boot of my car and be big enough to hold all my gear inside a Kata R-104

I'm wondering if I have my gear in an esky in the boot of a car will the camera gear stay at a decent temperature or will it heat up too much?

Can anyone recommend a esky or cooler.

And lastly does anyone already use an esky to store cam gear in their car?

Thanks!

5D MK II | 20D | 14 F/2.8L II | 24-70 F/2.8L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS | [FONT="Arial Black"]28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580 EX II
Gear List

sponsored links
sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 12, 2009 07:10 |  #2

Would you also intend to include some sort of coolant pack in the cooler to keep the temperature low? Otherwise I think the ambient temp would tend to climb pretty high.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

ThomGascoigne
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 12, 2009 07:28 |  #3

I didn't want to but I suppose I might have to. I was looking at putting the esky in a heat bag to repel heat. But yeah I think I would have to use some type of coolant.

5D MK II | 20D | 14 F/2.8L II | 24-70 F/2.8L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS | [FONT="Arial Black"]28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580 EX II
Gear List

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 12, 2009 07:48 |  #4

It would certainly repel direct sun and other heating sources somewhat Thom, but I believe the "ambient" temp would act like an oven over the hours and eventually raise it up.

ThomGascoigne wrote in post #9001417 (external link)
I didn't want to but I suppose I might have to. I was looking at putting the esky in a heat bag to repel heat. But yeah I think I would have to use some type of coolant.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

ThomGascoigne
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 12, 2009 08:27 |  #5

Hmm yeah I guess if you can use eskys to keep warm things warm and cold thing cold it's not a good idea for photo gear.

Gear List

Rudi
Goldmember
3,744 posts
Joined Mar 2002

Nov 12, 2009 08:28 |  #6

Depends on how long you're planning to leave the gear in the car, Thom. I have left gear in a hot car, inside a Lowepro padded bag, for three or more hours in the middle of summer, and the gear inside stayed cool. But - the bag was out of the sun (covered under one of those blinds that they put into the back of station wagons). The high density foam in these kinds of padded camera bags is actually a very good insulator...

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongong (external link)
• Borrowed Moment (blog) (external link)

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

ThomGascoigne
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 12, 2009 10:04 |  #7

Ahh ok thats good to know. I think I'll test it out for a hour or so at a time.

Cheers

Gear List

eeeksNYC
602 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 12, 2009 10:13 |  #8

I would be somewhat wary about the icepack or cool pack introducing condensation/humidity to the camera gear...

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

ThomGascoigne
THREAD ­ STARTER
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 12, 2009 10:40 |  #9

Yes its not a good mix

Gear List

sponsored links

945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Camera + Gear storage using esky
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.