Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Nov 2009 (Sunday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Upgrade from XTI?

mattjns93
765 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 15, 2009 13:05 |  #1

Hello, I'm new to these boards but I've been reading through them the last few days and it seems there is an educated crowd here that could maybe help me with my "dilemma".

Anyways, I've been shooting with an XTi for the last 2 years. Photography is just a hobby for me, but I'm still willing to spend some money for upgrades, lenses, ect. I have a 50/1.8, 100macro/2.8 and the (crappy) 18-55 kit lens. There are a few things I'm not happy with right now:
Image Quality (even after pp, images seem much to soft, no pop, dull, ect)
Ergonomics of the XTi (just feels too small and a bit cheap)
Bad ISO performance above 400

I was thinking about selling my Xti with the kit lens and buying a 50d new and a Sigma 18-50 2.8. I'm just really not sure where to go with this. My budget, assuming I sell my XTi, is around $1400 while my budget if I don't sell my XTi is about $800. The ergonomics are the least of my worries though. If there was a way to greatly increase my image quality with my XTi, I could live with its ergonomics.

Instead of explaining the kind of photography I enjoy shooting, I'll just link you to my flickr so you can get an idea of what I like to shoot.
http://www.flickr.com/​mloiacono (external link)

Thanks in advance,
Matt

5DII | 17-40L | 35L | 85L II | 50 1.8 | 430EX | flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) (Please like it! :D)
Follow my photoblog of my study abroad in Florence! (external link)

sponsored links
Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 15, 2009 13:44 |  #2

Sigma 18-50 is good, but there are some issues regarding focusing i heard. get tamron 17-50.

the image softness with your XTi seems like its because of 18-55.
if you get a sigma 18-50 or tamron 17-50 in its place, it'll give you a much better IQ.

BTW... i think its time for you to upgrade from rebel =)

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

benesotor
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 15, 2009 13:47 |  #3

I'm not sure whether to recommend a lens or body to be honest, a decent lens will cure your soft images, and will allow you to shoot at the lower ISO that you speak of (if you get a fast lens).

But I'm totally with you on the ergonomics side of things, sinse I've had a 7D I can't hold a rebel.
However XTI with grip is a much more satisfying shape, so maybe that could be an idea?

Sell the kit and 100mm, get a decent fast lens (maybe another prime?... canon/sigma 50mm1.4?)
and get a battery grip. That's what I'd do anyway.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

Nov 16, 2009 16:26 as a reply to  @ benesotor's post |  #4

I have an XTi as a backup to my 30D. It shares the same glass as the 30D and takes just as sharp photos.
I find it a great little camera to use with my 17-40 and 10-22 as a walkabout .. but have to agree about ergonomics, it doesn't feel as right in my hand as the 30D.

With the right glass in front of it it'll suit you fine. Dump the kit lens for sure.

My Gear List  :p

sdubey
84 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Nov 16, 2009 20:29 as a reply to  @ Perfect_10's post |  #5

I have XTI and 50 mm 1.8. I later bought Tamron 17-50 2.8. XTi with 50 mm 1.8 really gives good IQ specially at F6 and higher. 50 1.8 can easilly give comparable IQ to more expensive zoom lens. Try shooting with 50 mm 1.8 with F8 aperture in well light area and see the color and IQ. You may post such photo for other members to comment.

60D, Tamron 17-50, Canon 70-200 F4 L, 50mm 1.8, 430EX

kay188
825 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2009 21:41 |  #6

The IQ from the XTi is still excellent.

Ask a lot of the XTi users. They'll say the same.

Coupled with decent glass, and you're fine.

Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |

nyc2sd
368 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2009 22:35 |  #7

Why don't you upgrade your lens first, see what kind of results that gets you. If you're not satisfied, then go for a new body.

Canon 70D, 580EXII, 16-35mk 2.8IIL, 50 1.4, 70-200 F2.8 ISL
Webmaster at The Millionaire Car Club (external link) -
My FLICKR (external link)

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Nov 16, 2009 22:50 as a reply to  @ kay188's post |  #8

I did not realize how much difference a better lens made on my XTi until this past weekend. I went to a friend's wedding and had the olde tyme 35-105 slide zoom mounted, and the Tokina 80-200 2.8 in the bag. After a few shots with the old lens, I stuck the 80-200 on and it was amazing how much better the pictures came out. Granted, the Tokina is a budget lens, but the IQ blows the old 35-105 away, so I would imagine that a more modern, higher end lens would be even more impressive.
Someone once said that a picture is worth a thousand words...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i602.photobucke​t.com …19/wedding/IMG_​5980-1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i602.photobucke​t.com …0519/wedding/IM​G_5987.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

sponsored links

1,065 views & 0 likes for this thread
Upgrade from XTI?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.