Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Oct 2008 (Monday) 09:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Corrupt Files from 5D / 8gb Transcend card

andrewaaa5
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 27, 2008 09:04 |  #1

I got a few corrupt files on an 8GB Transcend memory card that I was using in my Canon 5D. They do not display on the camera (error on the 5D screen: 'cannot play back image') This happened when I was on holiday in China, so they are travel memories.

I also cannot copy these files to my PC running Vista, as I get the error:

0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable

So these files are currently on my memory card and not my PC. There are only 3 jpgs affected, but I do not know what these images are, but I would like to be able to see them. Files names (not that it is important) are:

IMG_9922
IMG_9923
IMG_9976

There were maybe 900 other unaffected photos (a mixture of jpg and RAW) on the same card. It is just 3 that are somewhat corrupt.

In all my years of using digital (Canon G3, Canon 350D and Canon 5D) I have never had such an issue before.

I was able to view them previously in Camera, as I normally review the images that I take at the end of the day when I am on holiday, and I am tempted to blame some rather dodgy old xray machine that I passed through in a Chinese train station for security checks. The issue seemed to occur just after that.

Any advise or ideas on how I can salvage them?

andrew crighton
website -- > www.butterpeanut.com (external link)
flickr -- > flickr/photos/andrewaa​a5 (external link)

sponsored links
andrewaaa5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Oct 27, 2008 10:34 |  #2

sob sob.,:( I just realised the 2 of these corrupt images were taken on my trip to see the Terracotta Army. I would really like to get those 2 back at least. All my trawling through the web has not been able to identify any useful advise..

andrew crighton

SpeedkingXSi
258 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 17, 2009 08:53 |  #3

had the same problem...try formatting the card first in camera and on computer

my started with can not display image then my XSi simple said card is not formatted for the camera
and card reader won't even pick up the card at all =( lost about 25 pictures and sent the card back to transcend for replacement the card itself only 1yr 1mon old and about 7000~8000 pictures saved and uploaded to computer. good thing transcend have a life time warranty

did you get your problem fix??

Mayhem #1021875 (external link)

andrewaaa5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 17, 2009 09:36 |  #4

I did not manage to save the 2 photos that were corrupt. I tried several pieces of recovery software and using them just about make out the 2 photos that were corrupt (½ the image showed) and I realised that I did not need those 2 images, so I did not investigate more. I think the software that I recalling having best results with was called 'recuva'. I formatted the card and it seems ok.

I have not had the problem since, but to be safe, I am only using the 8gb card as a backup now, or if my 4gb cards get filled up (I have 2 of them so they generally last)

andrew crighton

carshop
Goldmember
1,846 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 17, 2009 15:05 |  #5

Read my post #39
That happened to me and I sent the card to Transcend.
But was not happy with the results.
Good Luck
https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=779​250&page=3

ShawnSmugmug (external link)/Flickr (external link)/LikeMyFacebook (external link)
Canon 70D Gripped|
Canon 70-200 2.8 IS|Canon 24-105|Canon 18-135
Canon 580 EX II|Sigma 18-50 2.8
Canon 55-250|Sigma 17-35 2.8| 2 Pocket Wizard II

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2009 15:32 |  #6

Well, here's a solution for the symptoms AND cause: Get a Sandisk Extreme III card to replace your current card, then format the old card and run rescue pro on it (comes with all extreme iii cards). You may be able to get back the files if it was a filesystem error, but if it was card failure, then you are out of luck.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 17, 2009 16:06 |  #7

basroil wrote in post #9032212 (external link)
Well, here's a solution for the symptoms AND cause: Get a Sandisk Extreme III card to replace your current card, then format the old card and run rescue pro on it (comes with all extreme iii cards). You may be able to get back the files if it was a filesystem error, but if it was card failure, then you are out of luck.

Given the first post was in 2008 i'd say it's a bit late.

Once a card gives any errors at all, toss it. I have brand new Transcend 16GB cards, but they're the MLC memory variety rather than the more reliable SLC variety. Though they're working perfectly i'm tempted to toss them and buy more reliable cards, just in case (for weddings).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2009 16:26 |  #8

tim wrote in post #9032397 (external link)
Given the first post was in 2008 i'd say it's a bit late.

Once a card gives any errors at all, toss it. I have brand new Transcend 16GB cards, but they're the MLC memory variety rather than the more reliable SLC variety. Though they're working perfectly i'm tempted to toss them and buy more reliable cards, just in case (for weddings).

:( another random zombie thread....they should really auto-lock after 3 months of neglect...

Yea, transcend cards are really cheap, but not really worth it because they are so cheap. If it's weddings you do, definitely go with lexar/sandisk, much more reliable. I have had a total of three errors on sandisk, all on ultra IIs used on a point and shoot, none on half a dozen cards for my slrs though, and considering that's about 100k photos, even i included those as errors, it's above 3.5 sigma.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 17, 2009 16:34 |  #9

basroil wrote in post #9032525 (external link)
:( another random zombie thread....they should really auto-lock after 3 months of neglect...

Yea, transcend cards are really cheap, but not really worth it because they are so cheap. If it's weddings you do, definitely go with lexar/sandisk, much more reliable. I have had a total of three errors on sandisk, all on ultra IIs used on a point and shoot, none on half a dozen cards for my slrs though, and considering that's about 100k photos, even i included those as errors, it's above 3.5 sigma.

I got Transcend as the experience on another professional forum is they're as reliable as any other brand. In addition they have error correction circuits, which even Sandisk only have in their newest top end cards. So I think i'll keep the MLC based Transcend cards for a year or two, then replace them with newer Transcend or Sandisk cards.

I've not yet had a card error with any brand.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 17, 2009 18:04 |  #10

tim wrote in post #9032570 (external link)
I got Transcend as the experience on another professional forum is they're as reliable as any other brand. In addition they have error correction circuits, which even Sandisk only have in their newest top end cards. So I think i'll keep the MLC based Transcend cards for a year or two, then replace them with newer Transcend or Sandisk cards.

I've not yet had a card error with any brand.

That's basically my take as well -- with most of these 'name brands', it's difficult to speak of one as more reliable than the other.

You can get it a 'lemon' in anyone of these brands. I've used a number of Transcend products, and I've never had a problem. On the other hand, I've had 2 Lexar products a one SanDisk product die on me.

Who knows why.... ;)

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

tim
Light Bringer
51,009 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 17, 2009 18:07 |  #11

I guess sometimes bad luck, but NAND memory wears out, MLC faster than SLC.

andrewaaa5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,225 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Nov 18, 2009 00:47 |  #12

I am not sure if it is worth following up.

The photos were visible in camera up to a certain point (I remember flicking through all the pictures every night to see what I had captured), then one point, some of them failed.

As I was saying, there were many dodgy xray machines in China (all bus and train stations had them and they were mandatory to use) and I have a feeling it was the xray machine in Yangshou that is to blame :)

Thanks for all the input though, from my 'zombie' old thread.

andrew crighton

sponsored links

4,719 views & 0 likes for this thread
Corrupt Files from 5D / 8gb Transcend card
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.