Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 17 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Leonids 2009 (the shot gun approach)

APG-Angus
225 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2009 13:54 |  #1

I shot the entire meteor shower last night 11pm - 5:30am this morning. I have not gone through the data thoroughly yet but on first browse it was not a great night for meteors at my location, but it was both fun and educational. I ran this shoot from the warmth of my kitchen with my tripod and camera outside on my deck, at the end of a 20' USB cable. I also managed to get 2-3 hours of sleep while continuously shooting for 6 hours, both a first for me. It was a chilly night here in Vermont, but I do not think it got below freezing, though it was clear all night long, dew point was never an issue either, which really surprised me.

The setup:Tripod mounted 5dmk2 w/17-40 @ 17mm, I was using the EOS capture software recording directly to my laptop via a USB cable. This means that I did not need a timer remote release. I used Jupiter to focus on using Live View at 200% on a 24" monitor, flipped the switch on the lens to manual focus, then I reoriented in portrait view at about a 45 degree angle pointed a little north of east, centered on the ecliptic. After a few test shots I determined I would use 20 seconds @ f/4, ISO 12800.

The data: 1323, +/- a few or about about 42GB from 11pm to a little after 5am. There are some meteors but it was not a banner night. However I will make a movie from the frames. More on the data as I go through it.

What I learned: EOS Capture Software is very useful for capture, but I still like Lightroom for editing and cataloging. I captured the images to my desktop but as they accumulated I would them import them into my catalog by moving them onto another drive and then I would take this opportunity to preview them for meteor streaks and mark the ones I found. I also learned that higher ISO makes larger file sizes. Light pollution sucks! If I do this again I will go to a dark site, even if it's just for a non-event night of shooting.

I still had to go to work today so no time to go through or process any data but I did get an early entry followed by a crop close up. This was resized and maybe even some noise reduction, it was late and I was tired I can't remember now but it was hurried.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 503 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

this is simply a crop of the upper corner of the last picture...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 503 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

I will try look through the rest of the data and see what I have and post more its post worthy. And if not well maybe this will just fall away and be silent like so many meteors on a cloudy night.

Cheers!

Rich

5DMKII, 20D w/grip, EF17-40mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 2Ext, 580EX II, 580EX, Bogen/Manfrotto BO3021PB, Bogen/Manfrotto BO486RC2
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=153724

sponsored links
Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 17, 2009 14:02 |  #2

Very nice .

fiveFPS
Goldmember
1,180 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 17, 2009 15:31 |  #3

nice striking capture! too bad i slept right through the night =(

Canon XTI | Canon 430ex | Crumpler 7MDH | 18-55mm

APG-Angus
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 17, 2009 18:28 |  #4

Here is a composite of about 15 images i had about 25 but high caused too much noise and I could not see them amid the star trails so I left them out. As it is you can only count about 10-12 of these. I'm not too proud of my PP efforts here but here it it is for your viewing I will post up a few individual images later, still working on 2-3 hours sleep.

So here's a composite stacked in CS3 using layers "lighter"

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Rich

5DMKII, 20D w/grip, EF17-40mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 2Ext, 580EX II, 580EX, Bogen/Manfrotto BO3021PB, Bogen/Manfrotto BO486RC2

nick_j
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2009 21:04 |  #5

APG-Angus wrote in post #9033238 (external link)
Here is a composite of about 15 images i had about 25 but high caused too much...

That is a great shot! Good job.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,641 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 17, 2009 21:32 |  #6

This is very nice ! Lots of meteors there .

APG-Angus
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 18, 2009 13:09 |  #7

Finally, here is a video of about 1017 images, 5 hours compressed into just over a minute for your amusement. The video is dominated by aircraft and satellites but if you are quick you may catch a glimpse of a meteor...good luck. Enjoy! This is an AVI file of about 22MB.

Leonids 2009 AVI (external link)

Rich

barqy
72 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 18, 2009 14:53 |  #8

wow great vid!

makes me want to do something like this :)

so you just used canon's capture sw and let it take a few shots (around 3.2 per min) and then just compiled (layered) them together in photoshop?

how were you able to keep the camera for going so long (battery grip?)

any tutorials for someone new to this?

cheers

NovaTJ
552 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 18, 2009 16:00 as a reply to  @ barqy's post |  #9

Got to be 110 volt adapter to camera power...only way! Great video and vintage sound track...:)

Astro-Tech 8" f/4 imaging Newtonian,Baader MPCC,Orion ED 80 APO F7.5,Skywatcher EQ-6 Pro,ASGT, Modified Canon 50D, Meade DSI Guide Camera, 8" SCT dovetail mounted relic, Criterion Dynascope RV-6, modified 300D, custom astro shed,and still just getting started!

APG-Angus
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 18, 2009 16:07 |  #10

barqy wrote in post #9038414 (external link)
wow great vid!

makes me want to do something like this :)

so you just used canon's capture sw and let it take a few shots (around 3.2 per min) and then just compiled (layered) them together in photoshop?

how were you able to keep the camera for going so long (battery grip?)

any tutorials for someone new to this?

cheers

AS far as the vid goes, I am by no mean a pro and have not done this a lot, or ever before like this:

I had already captured all my images via the EOS software (RAW) imported them into Adobe Lightroom, sorted by capture time, removed any dark frames (where I changed batteries, no grip, no AC adapter), exported 800 pixel jpegs with a few sync'd adjustments (curves, clarity, NR) to another folder.
I then took those 1017 jpegs and imported them into a slideshow program (I used a trial from NCH called PhotoStage Slideshow) I mported the jpegs as slides and was able to adjust the duration so that they appeared like frames of film or close. I think settled on something like .095 seconds I then chose a sound track, edited it to closely match the length of the slides, added it to the show then built the slideshow choosing the file type and resolution.

There are a ton of software choices out there and I even have a few but having just moved to Win7 and a new PC I had nothing installed and did not know what would work and I have had great luck with NCH software Install on Demand, plus its free to try.

So no, I did not use Photoshop to make this movie at all. EOS Capture, Lightroom to sort, edit and export, NCH to build a slideshow and convert to AVI.

Thanks for asking.

Rich

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
4,795 posts
Gallery: 139 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 19, 2009 01:24 as a reply to  @ APG-Angus's post |  #11

Excellent captures, Rich, as always!

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

barqy
72 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 20, 2009 01:57 |  #12

thanks for the write up, will have to try it out once the weather clears up.

i am wondering how people do the day to night time lapses. Do they have to manually adjust the shutterspeed/iso/apert​ure as it goes from day to night?

hmmm

APG-Angus
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 23, 2009 14:25 |  #13

Thanks for the comments This process revealed a flaw in my 5D, I edited it out for these shots but there is a nasty bloom in the lower right corner, I just used the adjustment brush, lowered the exposure then sync'd across the 1000 + images. But here is what it looks like @ ISO 6400 for 30 seconds with the lens cap ON.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

It's on its way to the repair shop under warranty. I bought it locally and the shop keeper still charged me $25 to ship it out...I now am wondering why I bothered to patronize his establishment. Seems every time I go in there I have to wait for one of the two very knowledgeable sales persons to educate someone on what it is they are holding in their hands. And I always seem to walk in at that part where I hear " Ok, what does SLR mean again?" or "Aperture means what again exactly?" So I guess if they make the sale then all that talk is worth it... for them. But what's in it for people like us that have questions like, "Hey, do you have Kenko extension tubes for Canon in stock?, yes the kit with 12, 20 and 36mm rings." or I bought my 5dmk2 here in April can you print me out a receipt? We're quick, concise and we either drop the cash and leave or we know that it's way too expensive and say "thanks not today" and leave.

Lord knows I have stood there holding a carbon fiber tripod in one hand and an steel/aluminum in the other talking to myself for a very long time trying to justify the cost difference vs the weight. And if the store was empty I might strike up a conversation with the sales person if they asked me if I needed help. But I would never dream of monopolizing a clerk's attention the way I see some people do, specially in small shops where there are only 1-2 people working and a bunch of customers. Plus you are trusting that that person is educating you properly, you go in there knowing nothing you go out with one person's opinion but $1,000 - $3,000 lighter in the wallet. That's another reason I love PoTN, if you can read, you can learn. Not everyone here is always right, but by in large you certainly get pointed in the right direction! If not here on this site, there's the rest of the internet for Pete's sake! Plus you can rant...at least a little.

Is it more money than brains or do most not buy even after wasting EVERYONE'S time?

Rich

sponsored links

2,130 views & 0 likes for this thread
Leonids 2009 (the shot gun approach)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.