Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 07:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reviewing images on a laptop as shots are taken?

Macrosill
66 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 19, 2009 07:05 |  #1

The deeper I dive into the small home studio scene the more questions I seem to have.

Last night I had a thought, take shots with my Canon 350D and review them on my laptop screen in real time. This way I could get a better and larger view of the image. I had no idea if it could be done with my camera or not. So I did some reading and testing and after downloading some software from Canon and utilizing a usb cable I found I can do more than I wanted to. I can actually control the camera from the pc, never having to touch the body once everything was initially set.

So now that I have this new found ability, how many of you actually review your shots in real time on a larger computer screen during the shoot?

I am mainly starting out by taking portrait of my immediate family and close relatives.

Thanks,
Brian

sponsored links
badgerdid
270 posts
Joined May 2009

Nov 19, 2009 07:33 |  #2

I have a setup ready but havnt used it yet, i have a 9" portable dvd player to view the pics on, but obviously i cannot use this to contol the camera, just preview the pics.

550D gripped: Canon 70-200 F4 L[COLOR=black]: Canon 24-105 IS F4 L:

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 19, 2009 07:48 |  #3

I do it all the time. Not only is it good for me to see more detail but I set it up so the clients can see the shots as well and they tend to feed off this and do better with posing, relaxing, etc. Especially for kids, they love the instant results. Also, I use my iPod Touch with OnOne remote app to control the camera, exposure, and fire the shots so I can be anywhere in the area of the shoot and fire it. This makes it easier to interact with the clients while shooting. And I get the shots on the iPod instantly as well. When I have the shots come up on my computer I have them come up in Lightroom and they all get a little Lightroom action automatically to bump the contrast, color and sharpening a little so they look nice.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

talbot_sunbeam
848 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 19, 2009 08:13 |  #4

I do this with my 450 - I'm tethered to my Macbook Pro, running EOS Utility and Lightroom.

When I take a pic, the camera transfers it to EOS Utility, which saves it in a drop folder that Lightroom watches. As soon as it's in Lightroom, it pops up in the gallery on the laptop monitor, and full screen on the big monitor. (I much prefer the way Lightroom displays pictures than the EOS utility, an it let's me take an overview of all shots taken at a glance and seeing the current shot at full size.

It's a nice way to work, although with USB and RAW images, it can take about 7 seconds from shutter to computer display - but in practice, it works fine for review purposes.

I don't tend to do much live view shooting via the computer, but it's a great feature to have, specially for studio type shoots, like food or lightbox photography... I do it from time to time...

7D, 450D | 17-55, 10-22, 55-250, 50 1.8, 580EXII | YN568II | YN622 x3 | Magic Lantern | (Still) Jonesing for a 70-200 2.8...
Turns out a gripped 7D + 622 + 580exII + 70-200 2.8 IS MK2 is BLOODY HEAVY! Who knew?!!

Damian75
Goldmember
1,623 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 19, 2009 08:16 |  #5

I almost always shoot tethered in studio, not only is it great for you too see better and for the clients but it also saves import time after the shoot. You will most likely want to pick up something like this http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_0_Booster_Exte​nsion.html (external link) so that you have some room to move around.

Canon EOS 40D,30D, Canon 70-200 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, 85 1.8, Canon extension tube, Elinchrom Lighting gear, 
Website (external link)

TriStatePhotog
58 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 19, 2009 08:53 |  #6

I'm planning on getting an Eye-Fi Pro in the near future to facilitate reviewing on my laptop wirelessly. The ad-hoc networking seems to work like a breeze with them.

Macrosill
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 19, 2009 08:55 |  #7

Unfortunately the eye-fi is only sd card based, afaik. My body uses cf cards.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will definitely be shooting "tethered" while doing home studio work.

Thanks,
Brian

ean36
625 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 19, 2009 08:58 |  #8

Ever try the "poor man's" tether? Video out from the camera to video in on your flat screen.

be safe and well. George
7D, 5DIII, 5DII and too much to carry all at once

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 19, 2009 09:00 |  #9

I always shoot tethered when shooting in the studio.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 19, 2009 10:29 |  #10

Another use for shooting tethered is when I teach photography I use it in the class room and shoot live with instant results so the students can see the effect changing settings has on the image. I also switch everything to manual, flashes, camera, etc. and purposely set it so it will not expose properly, then give the remote to a student and test them on dialing in a decent shot. This way the only gear they touch is my iPod and I don't have to worry about the camera, etc.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 19, 2009 10:52 |  #11

Macrosill wrote in post #9043039 (external link)
Unfortunately the eye-fi is only sd card based, afaik. My body uses cf cards.

If your camera body accepts type II CF cards, you can use an Eye-Fi Pro card with an SD-to-CF adapter. I've used my Eye-Fi Pro in an adapter with my 5D Mark II and it works fine.

Here (in the red circled area) you can see a Canon RAW image being downloaded from my 5D2 via the Eye-Fi Pro card/SD-to-CF adapter combo. The laptop has an adhoc connection active so no router is involved. The transfer is straight from the camera to the computer:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Although it works and can be extremely useful, the Eye-Fi card is no replacement for tethered shooting with the Canon Utility.

Dave F.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 19, 2009 11:28 |  #12

shooterman wrote in post #9043061 (external link)
I always shoot tethered when when shooting in the studio.

Damian75 wrote in post #9042889 (external link)
I almost always shoot tethered in studio, not only is it great for you too see better and for the clients but it also saves import time after the shoot. You will most likely want to pick up something like this http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …_0_Booster_Exte​nsion.html (external link) so that you have some room to move around.

Me too- LOVE IT. It helps for clients too, so they can be more involved in the shoot rather than just twiddling their thumbs. I let them rate photos, too, so I hasve a smaller number to edit when the shoot is done,

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 19, 2009 13:00 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #13

all the time..Great for product shoots

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,920 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 19, 2009 14:35 |  #14

tetrode wrote in post #9043725 (external link)
Here (in the red circled area) you can see a Canon RAW image being downloaded from my 5D2 via the Eye-Fi Pro card/SD-to-CF adapter combo. The laptop has an adhoc connection active so no router is involved. The transfer is straight from the camera to the computer:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

How much time is typical transfer time of a RAW file from your 5DII?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 19, 2009 14:52 |  #15

tetrode wrote in post #9043725 (external link)
Although it works and can be extremely useful, the Eye-Fi card is no replacement for tethered shooting with the Canon Utility.

Dave F.

Dave, why is that? I'd love to cut loose from the cable and this is an inexpensive route.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

sponsored links

2,736 views & 0 likes for this thread
Reviewing images on a laptop as shots are taken?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.