Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 20 Nov 2009 (Friday) 01:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worst to Best Radio Triggers

Jamesino
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2009 01:49 |  #1

Could someone provide me with a list from the worst to best radio triggers available?

For example, at the bottom of the scale we would have those eBay triggers and at the top, pocketwizards. What about the ones in the middle?

sponsored links
jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 20, 2009 02:09 |  #2

Jamesino wrote in post #9048652 (external link)
Could someone provide me with a list from the worst to best radio triggers available?

For example, at the bottom of the scale we would have those eBay triggers and at the top, pocketwizards. What abut the ones in the middle?

For the ones in the middle: there's the Cybersync from Alienbee, Skyports from Elinchrom and Radio Poppers.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

Benji
Goldmember
2,203 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Nov 20, 2009 08:25 |  #3

I have been using the same system for about 25 years and the only problem I've ever had was one time I dropped the transmitter on concrete and knocked the radio frequency off. I sent it back to Quantum and within a week it was back and working great. I have the Radio Slave 4. Quantum has a newer version, the 4i, http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …ntum%20radio%20​slave%204i (external link) ($354.00)

One thing I really like about them over the Pocket wizard is they don't have that hideous antenna sticking up where you are likely to whack it against something and break it off (or the mount to the hot shoe.) The transmitter is slightly smaller than a pack of cigarettes but thinner. The transmitter lays horizontally rather than vertically making it less of a "target" to be broken off.

Benji

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 20, 2009 08:42 |  #4

This should be a very interesting topic. The next additional to my camera equit. I currently have a ST-E2 but for outside remote flash it's a crap shoot.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,201 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2009 08:51 |  #5

Keep in mind that few of us have tried all of those so any ranking will be based on reputation and anecdotal information. Here is pretty much how I would rank them.

ETTL systems
Radio Poppers PX series
Pocket Wizards Mini and Flex
Radio Popper P1 series
ST-E2

Non ETTL
Pocket Wizard 2
Cybersyncs
Skyports
Radio Popper JRX
Cactus V4 and similar
Cactus V2 and similar

I dont know the names and numbers of the various hong kong/ebay triggers that seem to be variations on the cactus lines with subtle variations in design and quality control. Anything on the list below the radio popper JRX I view with a certain amount of skepticism because I have found the cybersync and that class to be flawless.

Digger
574 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 20, 2009 09:02 |  #6

Its really subjective to what is middle of the road and the best. I have personally used PW, Cybersyncs, Bowens/calumet, the quantum units and the cheap ebay 16 channel triggers.

For non-ettl systems I really like and am currently using the Bowes/Calumet units. I think they are just as good as the PW but they are about half the size and 30% less if not more. Just like the PW they are transceivers so anyone can be used for either job, and they have multiple channels (24 if i remember correctly), they have a reach of about 200 feet, multiple inputs.

So IMO the bowens are just as good, maybe better (considering everything), than the PW but if you are labeling the PW as tops then the bowens would be a close close second.

I have never used the ettl units so I can not comment

email: tricksvo@gmail.com (external link)
www.rickodellphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Jamesino
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2009 13:31 |  #7

E-TTL triggers allow you to retain the ETTL function of speedlights, correct?
There is no point of using them to trigger studio strobes right?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,201 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2009 13:40 |  #8

Jamesino wrote in post #9051356 (external link)
E-TTL triggers allow you to retain the ETTL function of speedlights, correct?
There is no point of using them to trigger studio strobes right?

Correct. If you are going to trigger studio strobes I would suggest cybersyncs or the radio popper jrx.

Digger
574 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 20, 2009 13:42 |  #9

1. Yes
2. I think some of the newest strobe system are incorporating ettl into there design hence the need for e-ttl triggers

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,201 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2009 13:43 |  #10

Digger wrote in post #9051415 (external link)
1. Yes
2. I think some of the newest strobe system are incorporating ettl into there design hence the need for e-ttl triggers

RE #2, which, where?!!

Seanzky
Goldmember
2,879 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 20, 2009 13:54 |  #11

Digger wrote in post #9051415 (external link)
1. Yes

That'll be the day!

When Canon finally puts an e-TTL transmitter built-in the body and receiver built-in the speedlights.

Sean | Blog (external link) | Portfolio (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Digger
574 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Nov 20, 2009 13:59 |  #12

Yea I thought (keywords think and thought) I read somewhere that it was elinchrom or quantum or lumedyne had it wirelessly, but after a quit check I was wrong, which my wife will mark on her count.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,201 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2009 14:04 |  #13

I didnt really think so, only because studio lights have a purpose of delivering light consistency based on the settings you dial in. Ettl adjusts exposure to fit changing circumstances. And neither the twain shall meet :)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,778 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Nov 20, 2009 16:30 |  #14

Should differentiate [camera triggers] vs. [flash triggers] vs. [triggers of flash or camera]

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

5,555 views & 0 likes for this thread
Worst to Best Radio Triggers
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.