Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Choice for semi-informal wedding

Architective
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 19, 2009 23:49 |  #1

I told my family that I'd shoot pictures for my sisters low-key wedding on Saturday. I have a 50d with a tamron 10-24, canon 18-55 (kit lens) and tamron 75-300 (non is) lens at the moment. I have a friend with a Canon 24-85 USM (f3.5) and another friend with a Sigma 18-200 IS lens, and both are willing to loan. Any thoughts on which one to borrow? I'd rather not use my 18-55 if I can help it, and I'll use the wide angle for special/fun types of shots, but I'd like to have a more flexible lens to shoot on the fly. The first portion will be outside in a botanical garden, the second in a restaurant ballroom after dark.

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help. I understand it's a vague question.

sponsored links
samnz
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 20, 2009 01:17 |  #2

Out of the 3 lens choices you have, I'd probably stick with the kit lens. Good mates you've got there if you can borrow their stuff. Borrow a 430EX or 580EX flash if you haven't got one already.

Sure the 18-55 hasn't got the reach of your mates Sigma, but I can only guess the optics will be better...matched with the 50D as well, you'll be fine. Shoot RAW, nail your focus - crop and zoom during post processing...if you have too ;)

SAM
Gear

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 20, 2009 03:00 |  #3

Kit lens. See if you can borrow an external flash, bounce the light off the ceiling at ISO800 or 1600.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Architective
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 20, 2009 11:04 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #4

I've got a 430 exii I'm planning to use. I also have 2 light stands/umbrellas with Vivitar 285 HVs with remote triggers that I plan to use for the composed shots after the ceremony.

I don't feel like the 18-55 takes as good of pictures (quality wise) as the other two lenses. For what reasons are you guys saying to use the kit lens? Just curious.

Valjoy
459 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 20, 2009 14:59 |  #5

My first 2 paid weddings were taken with the 18-55is kit lens and the 50 1.8 ....pics were fine, sharp , fast focusing and versitile. From the pics from these weddings I got several other weddings...so this lens is certainly fine for a low key wedding.

I now shoot mainly with the canon 17-55 2.8 ...
good luck cheers Val

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,243 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 20, 2009 15:02 |  #6

is this the IS version of the kit lens? If so, go with that one certainly. If its the non-Is.... well its still your best option range wise.

RT ­ McAllister
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 22, 2009 10:36 |  #7

I must've gotten a crappy 18-55 in my kit. It was horrid.

I eventually gave it to a neighbor kid. He's annoying and I don't like him anyway.

tim
Light Bringer
50,986 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 22, 2009 15:40 |  #8

RT McAllister wrote in post #9061332 (external link)
I must've gotten a crappy 18-55 in my kit. It was horrid.

I eventually gave it to a neighbor kid. He's annoying and I don't like him anyway.

lol, you'll fit in well here :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

1,483 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Choice for semi-informal wedding
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.