Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 24 Sep 2009 (Thursday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shipping to Canada

synapxe
338 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Sep 24, 2009 21:29 |  #1

I want to hear your success (or failures) when shipping to Canada from the US? What did you ship, what company did you use and did you have to pay duties and/or tax?

www.stillconcept.com (external link)

5DmkIII | 7D | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200L F2.8 IS II | 430EX II | Dakine Mission Photo Bag | Think Tank Retrospective 20
http://www.stillconcep​t.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 25, 2009 04:49 |  #2

You should ask this in the general chat or lounge area, this forum is for problems/questions about the forum itself. You won't get many answers in this section.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

trophy_23
360 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 25, 2009 12:23 |  #3

I use USPS if at all possible. I got screwed by UPS once and trust me it won't happen again!

Trophy_23 ~ Gear List & Feedback

ineedakamera
136 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 25, 2009 13:54 |  #4

apparently USPS is cheaper because UPS charges an additional fee. with USPS you will have to pay taxes at the border but usually that is all. i've received many items from the US and only had to pay sales tax. one time i received a lens in a flat rate shipping box from the US and wasn't charged any tax. i'm still not sure if this had to do with the flat rate box or whether it was just that taxation is random. i have heard that it is somewhat of a lottery on whether or not you have to pay tax but in my experience you almost always have to pay sales tax.

beeng
927 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Sep 26, 2009 08:27 as a reply to  @ ineedakamera's post |  #5

I never use UPS anymore. They always stick random silly charges on top of their already ludicrous rate. USPS/Fedex all the way.

A roll of film, a carboard box, and a bobbypin

Fastfwd13
491 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Sep 26, 2009 08:47 |  #6

USPS is definitely the way to go. Also write used or gift on the sticker they give you for the box for items that are not new so you don't have to pay taxes.

imageswest
516 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Nov 20, 2009 11:20 |  #7

Fastfwd13 wrote in post #8712715 (external link)
USPS is definitely the way to go. Also write used or gift on the sticker they give you for the box for items that are not new so you don't have to pay taxes.

Marking the package as a "gift" has no bearing on whether or not it will be taxed.

The worst-case scenario for "gifts" is that the CBSA will open the package to see what the contents are, and it they think the contents are worth more than the declared value, they will assign an arbitrary value of their own, and tax the recipient on the new value. :(

Cliff LeSergent
Images West Photography
www.imageswest.ca (external link)

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Nov 20, 2009 12:10 |  #8

I shipped a 40D to Canada with no problem. Be aware that if you accept PayPal and the item costs over $250 the only way you can ship it is International Express Mail to be covered in the event of a dispute. You can print the postage from PayPal. This cost me $43 on the 40D body that I sold for $650.

Flickr (external link)

Dailow
75 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 22, 2009 04:31 as a reply to  @ K6AZ's post |  #9

I've had multiple items shipped to me from the US/overseas. Unless the item's value is declared to be under ~$20, you'll likely have to pay taxes when the item is delivered. It doesn't matter if it's marked as a gift, since the item's value is the only thing taken into consideration.

As far as brokerage fees go, the general rule is that air shipping with UPS/Fedex incorporates the brokerage fee into the shipping cost. If you ship via ground with UPS/Fedex, expect to pay a brokerage fee (on top of possible taxes) of anywhere from $20-$50.

If the item is shipped via USPS (and subsequently delivered by Canada Post) then you'll be dinged a flat rate of $8 for brokerage. USPS is probably the most economical choice, but their tracking system is extremely hit or miss - sometimes it works as intended, and other times it's shown my parcel to have been "electronically submitted" when it was already delivered to me.

I've bought lenses, batteries, and memory cards and I haven't had to pay any duty at all. I've had to pay taxes on lenses, but not duty. I'd imagine it'd be the same for a camera body.

5D Mark II
16-35 f/2.8L II, 85 f/1.2L, 100 f/2.8 Macro, 70-300 f4-5.6LIS
580EX II

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 22, 2009 10:59 |  #10

I have recently sent a few items to Canadian purchasers from sales on this forum.

In one case, I sent it USPS first class mail, which was pretty cheap, but it took 3 weeks to get there!

In another case, I sent it USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box, which was about double the cost ($12) but was suppose to get there in 6 days (I haven't heard back from the buyer yet). UPS online quote was $80 for the same 4oz. package!

You will also incur some additional PayPal fees with the currency exchange.

A customs form is required, but you can fill that out online and print it out before you take it to the Post Office. I always listed the item as "used", although I don't know if it makes any difference to the receiver in regards to additional tax/costs.

-howard

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 22, 2009 18:25 |  #11

Three ways and only three ways.

USPS - Least Expensive (most of the time) and the slowest. No brokerage, and MIGHT have to pay taxes depending on the item.

UPS Express AIR - Expensive, fast no brokerage as it's built into the price, but you have taxes 100% and a fee.

FedEX AIR - Expensive, fast, no brokerage, have to pay the taxes 100% and generally is the most expensive, but more reliable.

These are the ONLY three ways I will purchase from the US. The other is have my parents buy it and declare it at the boarder on their way home from Florida. Have to pay the taxes, but man can I get some sweet stuff cheap.

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

Sean
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 22, 2009 18:27 |  #12

Fastfwd13 wrote in post #8712715 (external link)

Just a note. This ONLY works for items under $60 as per the laws. As well it goes by the insured value, so again only works for small items.

Canon 50D - 17-55mm F2.8 IS - 300mm F4L IS - 70-200mm F4L IS - 50mm F1.8 - 580EX II & 430EX - Full Gear Listing
Flickr (external link) - C&C Always welcome.

Maurice ­ A.
109 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 22, 2009 21:05 |  #13

The best shipping rates I have experienced so far ordering from the U.S. has been UPS ground.

M. Aucoin

frankdatank
316 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Nov 23, 2009 18:18 |  #14

Maurice A. wrote in post #9064457 (external link)
The best shipping rates I have experienced so far ordering from the U.S. has been UPS ground.

UPS ground? The shipping part is cheap, but then they add on stupid 'Customs Brokerage Fee' in the hundred dollar range .:cry: :cry:

Best way USPS International Priority

Frank..............Vic​toria, BC, Canada

Canon 7D2, M3, M5, 16-35L f4 IS, 100-400L IS II, 500/4L IS II, 1.4X III, EF-M 18-150 IS, 580EX III, Gitzo 3, Jobu Blackwidow Light. Sirui P-326 monopod, Sirui G-10 mini ballhead.
+++Moving more and more over to EF-M geriatric gears+++

Fastfwd13
491 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 23, 2009 20:15 |  #15

frankdatank wrote in post #9069664 (external link)
UPS ground? The shipping part is cheap, but then they add on stupid 'Customs Brokerage Fee' in the hundred dollar range .:cry: :cry:

Best way USPS International Priority

Agreed. UPS once tried to charge me something like 50$ in fees over a used playstation steering wheel I had bought for 40$. They relented after I told them I would refuse delivery and agreed to only charge taxes. Also had problems with Fedex once. Never had any problems with USPS. I will simply not buy from ebay or from a US store if they do not ship USPS.

sponsored links

1,280 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shipping to Canada
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.