Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 20 Nov 2009 (Friday) 23:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When is there a Apple promotion?

tnguyen600
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 20, 2009 23:50 |  #1

I know every summer Apple does a promo where you get a free iPod if you buy one of their computers. My question is, does anyone know if they do that around Christmas time? I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro and I'm not sure if I should wait a week or two or just get it now.

Past history/experience would be appreciated. Danke.

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

sponsored links
CoquetteRN
184 posts
Joined May 2007

Nov 21, 2009 00:27 |  #2

They just had a similiar promotion right around back to school time. I can't remember if it only applied to students or everyone. They were rebating ipod touches when you purchased a new computer.

Stephanie
Canon 5d, 30d, nifty fifty, 17-40L, 70-200L f4 IS, 100 macro, 85, 24-70L, 50 1.4, 580EX II

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2009 00:36 |  #3

yeah, i know about the "back to school" promo...i was just hoping that there be one around the holiday times too lol

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 21, 2009 00:48 |  #4

The free iPod promotion is a back-to-school thing. I don't recall any special promotions at other times of the year.

The best bet if you want to buy Apple stuff on the cheap is to wait until new models are released, when they lower the prices of the older models. Like they just introduced new iMacs a couple weeks ago, so that week would have been a good time to buy an older model iMac at a much reduced price. Another option is to look at the refurbs at the Apple online store. Somtimes they aren't the most recent models, but they are usually a pretty good deal anyway. If I were in the market for a new Mac laptop to replace my first-generation MacBook, I would hop on the $999 13.3" MBP:

http://store.apple.com …cialdeals/mac/m​acbook_pro (external link)

BTW, you know that it's never a good idea to buy the upgraded models, right? You can buy 500GB laptop hard drives for $100 or less (not to mention SSD's are a lot cheaper than Apple offers them), and 4GB of DDR3 SODIMM RAM is about $100 as well. The CPU and video card upgrades that Apple offers are mostly worthless as well, unless you are really into PC gaming and want to play PC games on your high-level MBP, which will be $500 more expensive than a basic model while being outperformed by a $500 PC that you could buy separately.

Gear

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2009 00:55 |  #5

I was going to buy the basic macbook pro 13.3" one and just get a 2TB external hard drive and upgrade the **** out of the ram lol I guess I might as well just buy it tomorrow or something since there's really no promos for it

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

Exposure101
555 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2008

Nov 21, 2009 03:34 |  #6

check slickdeals.net or look for coupons online.

Leonard ­ Wong
206 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 21, 2009 08:18 |  #7

apple.com promotions are rarely any good. The best deals that can be found are:

apple employee discount
student B&M discount (this is sometimes better than the student online store discount)
amazon.com or other online retailer (that you don't pay sales tax on)

depending on what company you work for, you may also have some prenegotiated corporate discounts, but these are rarely above 8% for apple hardware, 4% for 3rd party accessories. basically, it covers sales tax.

Apple always has a black Friday apple.com sale, but I've never seen anything that great. I actually find the best prices to consistently come from amazon.com.

Another option would try to see if you can scoop up some Apple gift cards on one of those gift card reseller websites. If you could get gift cards at 80-90% on the dollar, there's some additional savings for you.

40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 30 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 F4 IS | 2x580EXII | YN CTR-301P | Lowepro Slingshot 200 | Kata R-103 | Manfrotto Monopod 679B
HV20 | WD-H43 | DM-20 | Manfrotto 390RC2
G12 | D10

hfgarris
Goldmember
1,760 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2009 10:20 |  #8

There will probably be a "Black Friday" sale next week, but in the past they have only offered around $100 off of computers. You can usually do better from MacConnection, Amazon, etc. since Apple charges sales tax. If you are looking for a custom BTO model, you are probably stuck ordering from Apple, the other vendors seldom have the "optioned out" models available, although sometimes B&H has had some available.

-howard

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 21, 2009 12:00 |  #9

Leonard Wong and hfgarris' posts are spot-on. If you don't qualify for an educational or government/military discount, your best bet is to wait until this upcoming Friday to order (usually a $100-150 in savings) or order from Amazon if you don't need a BTO (build-to-order) machine. (no sales tax for most)

Apple has never offered a free iPod except for the back-to-school special.

Bryan

My Gear List

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 21, 2009 13:01 |  #10

is it possible to use a military discount and have someone else pay for it?

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 21, 2009 18:26 |  #11

tnguyen600 wrote in post #9056747 (external link)
is it possible to use a military discount and have someone else pay for it?

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean.

If you work for the federal government (as a civilian or military), then you are entitled to the discount.

Bryan

My Gear List

kosin
Goldmember
2,095 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 21, 2009 19:58 |  #12

Here is a Black Friday deal from last year http://www.macrumors.c​om …scounts-iphone-app-sales/ (external link) so we can expect something similar this year too...

and here is what MacRumors.com posted for "black friday" keywords http://www.macrumors.c​om …friday&submit=S​earch+Site (external link)

Greg Gard
=> www.greggard.com (external link)
follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/greggardphoto/ (external link)

Rey
571 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 22, 2009 02:59 |  #13

Wait for Black Friday and see what kind of deals they have at the Apple Store before buying. If you don't have an Apple Store near you the same deals will be provided for online sales and shipping has typically been free.

Canon 5D MKII • BG-E6 • Canon EOS-M • Canon 85mm F1.2L II USM • Canon 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM • Canon 16-35mm F2.8L II USM • Canon 24-70mm F2.8L USM • Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM • Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART • Canon Speedlight 600 EX-RT • Canon Speedlite 580EX II • Canon Speedlite 430EX II • Gitzo 3530 • Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR

tnguyen600
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 22, 2009 08:14 |  #14

Yeah, I'll wait but I'm going to be buying it at Best Buy...not the B&M store

Gear List
www.tvnphotography.com

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 23, 2009 00:11 |  #15

I just saw best buy ads. They are having a sale on Apple products. I haven't actually look at it in store, but it says $100 off iMacs and $100-200 off macbook pro.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

sponsored links

1,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
When is there a Apple promotion?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.