Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Nov 2009 (Friday) 23:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Radial Gradient Banding

Apollo.11
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2009 23:08 |  #1

Hi, I had a white photo I shot in raw. I edited in PSE7 to turn the entire background white then added radial gradient. It was shifted the colors around a bit to turn the gradient from tan to blue. I noticed a little banding on the psd, but it really showed up when I printed it. When I decreased the exposure, it was really obvious. What caused that? Can I do something differently to prevent it?

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Some Stuff

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,626 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 20, 2009 23:11 |  #2

Usually adding a small amount of noise will fix it. Try 2%.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Apollo.11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 20, 2009 23:14 |  #3

Damien, how do I add noise?

Some Stuff

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 21, 2009 00:23 |  #4

1) process in 16 bit only
2) you can add noise by looking though "filter", though i don't know where exactly it'll be for your specific version of photoshop

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 21, 2009 12:52 |  #5

Filter > Noise > Add noise

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Apollo.11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 22, 2009 13:14 |  #6

Thanks all. Got it.

Some Stuff

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 22, 2009 16:02 |  #7

This is one of the few cases where 16 bit processing will shine :)

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

pellepiano
520 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 22, 2009 16:28 |  #8

Can someone show an example with the OP s image?

The 16 bit mode does not act any different than 8 bit mode when adding 2% noise on my computer ( 2% does not get rid of banding, about 7% gets rid of the banding but then you are stuck with a lot of noise ).

I see this all the time on forums, that you should put noise in the image, but how do you get rid of the noise =) ?

- Pelle Piano
// Websitei
www.pellepiano.com (external link)
// My Invented Gallery Site, for all my alias
Gallery Browalls (external link)

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 22, 2009 18:48 |  #9

pellepiano wrote in post #9062984 (external link)
Can someone show an example with the OP s image?

The 16 bit mode does not act any different than 8 bit mode when adding 2% noise on my computer ( 2% does not get rid of banding, about 7% gets rid of the banding but then you are stuck with a lot of noise ).

I see this all the time on forums, that you should put noise in the image, but how do you get rid of the noise =) ?

Point is that you shoot RAW, open as a 16bit image, then add the gradient WHILE it is 16bit. making it 8 bit then changing it to 16bit won't do anything. The other thing is that it will be impossible to check to see if 16bit works on a monitor, the only way to check is to print it to a high bit-depth printer and see. All (normal) monitors are limited to 8bit display, so you will see banding in some things.

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

pellepiano
520 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 23, 2009 03:49 |  #10

Ok, so the 16 bit advice is not to save the OPs image , only for printing reasons.

But is there any way to save the OP's image, to get rid of the present banding?

- Pelle Piano
// Websitei
www.pellepiano.com (external link)
// My Invented Gallery Site, for all my alias
Gallery Browalls (external link)

Electric ­ Shepherd
997 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 23, 2009 04:22 as a reply to  @ pellepiano's post |  #11

Sadly Elements 16bit editing ability is distinctly limited.

You might try adding the gradient as a separate layer then applying a healthy dose of blur to try and reduce the stepping.

My Gear

My flickr (external link)

ChasP505
"brain damaged old guy"
5,566 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 23, 2009 07:53 as a reply to  @ Electric Shepherd's post |  #12

So no one thinks that the banding may be due to a bad profile? You can download and view this Linearization test chart (external link) in Photoshop.

Or maybe your video card needs an upgrade?

Chas P
"It doesn't matter how you get there if you don't know where you're going!"https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10864029#po​st10864029

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 23, 2009 09:20 |  #13

Electric Shepherd wrote in post #9065990 (external link)
Sadly Elements 16bit editing ability is distinctly limited.

You might try adding the gradient as a separate layer then applying a healthy dose of blur to try and reduce the stepping.

limited in what ways? should be able to apply the standard image correction, blur and sharpening filters regardless of bitdepth.

Gear List

Apollo.11
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,845 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 23, 2009 09:34 |  #14

This is how I added the gradient. I had a new blank layer and created the gradient. I went back to the photo layer and selected multiply to blend the layers. Is this the best way to add a gradient?

Before reading all the new posts about 16bit. I tried something different which may have fixed the problem. Originally, I started with a tan gradient and shifted the hue to blue. This time, I started out with a blue gradient, and shift only slightly to get the blue tone I wanted. It looks good on the monitor, I'll have to test print to know for sure.

Based on the comments here it and for work flow reasons, I think I should upgrade out of Elements (and CS3 is cheap now). Can you post your opinions on upgrading in a new thread I posted?

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=785656

Some Stuff

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,121 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Nov 23, 2009 09:45 |  #15

any chance you can upload the PSD?

oh and it will get worse as you decrease the 'exposure' because your compressing the dynamic range of the 8bit file..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

sponsored links

2,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
Radial Gradient Banding
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.