Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 23 Nov 2009 (Monday) 07:52
Search threadPrev/next

drunk model, WWYD?

jstrattonphotography
80 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2009 07:52 |  #1

I just got back from a big boudoir shoot last night and it was a blast. The problem, one of the girls started off drinking and by the time her 2nd round of 3 outfit changes began, she was LIT. I got what I could but I know they are going to be pretty bad because she was unstable and you could tell she was drunk. How would you handle it?

Unfortunately, as there were 4 girls there all at the same time and she had been hanging in the bathroom I didn't even know she was drinking. The other girls didn't say anything (and they are all friends) until it was too late.

Do I offer her a reshoot and how do I explain the reason without coming off harsh?

Rubi ­ Jane
Goldmember
1,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 23, 2009 08:05 |  #2

Was this a paid job or a trade? Either way I'm not sure I would rush to offer a reshoot.
I'll assume she is of legal age and therefore can make mature decisions. If she chose to drink during a shoot she hired you for and her behaviour prevented getting great images then she's responsible. If it were a trade shoot I'd chalk it up to experience and set a no alcohol policy for your models.

Lindsey
Gear - Website (external link)

advaitin
Goldmember
4,624 posts
Gallery: 434 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 23, 2009 08:23 |  #3

Hmm, did she need to drink to overcome inhibitions? Possibly she would have been more comfortable in a different situation--she may have been intimidated by the others' looks--you know how some people are. Or, she just might be a drunk, and there's little you can do about it.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 23, 2009 08:35 |  #4

I'd never shoot someone other than my wife drunk. Too much room for danger- even if her girlfriends are there.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

jstrattonphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2009 09:07 |  #5

It was a mini session so it was VERy cheap but she did pay me for her services. She DID insist I keep shooting the pictures. She didn't drink to make herself feel more comfortable and had mentioned she was so proud of herself for losing over 30lbs and this is the best she has looked in a long time. I really don't know if I WOULD want to work with her again unless it was guaranteed NO alcohol. I did get quite a few great images from the 1st outfit so I may end up making those the focus and explain to her that her behaviour resulted in less than stellar photos of the last 2 outfits.

Dennis_Hammer
820 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 23, 2009 09:25 as a reply to  @ jstrattonphotography's post |  #6

I wouldn't explain to her anything about her behavior. I wouldn't reshoot for free. I would present the best shots you got of her and leave it at that. Also have some of the obvious 'too drunk' photos ready to show if she asks why there are not more shots and explain then that her changed sobriety affected the quality of the results.

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 23, 2009 09:38 |  #7

Drunk people are still ok to shoot...
it's when they become dangerous to themselves and others around them (i.e. tripping over everything) that I pack up and go

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

jstrattonphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2009 10:06 |  #8

She wasn't dangerous to herself or others, just looked a TOTAL hot mess. I was pretty embarassed for her but don't want her to come back and say I still should have gotten the images. Chances are she will be embarassed when she sees the work.

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Nov 23, 2009 10:34 as a reply to  @ jstrattonphotography's post |  #9

I would say if you intend to re-shoot, that the photos were not up to your standards and offer to re-shoot if she does not drink excessively, and you could say that the alcohol demons blurred the photos. Or offer to show her the proofs taken early in the session, and then the later to show her the effects of the alcohol demons. I would also say that you could tell her if she is proud of the 30 lb weight loss she will have some photos as proof but not if she so far in the bottle

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 23, 2009 10:39 |  #10

models + drinking = hot naked pics

:p

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,239 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Nov 23, 2009 10:45 |  #11

Personally I would separate business function from counselor function. If she wants to party let her and photograph it as is. I see it as an opportunity to roll with reality the way it unfolds. If critical outcome was expected and she is out of line I would contact the agency. If she is a personal hire be polite and tell her your sets are drug and alcohol free.

chrisvl
Goldmember
1,621 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 23, 2009 11:59 |  #12

She told you to keep shooting. She was drunk and can not make decisions.
I would have stopped and told her she was wasting your time and hers..
It's about integrity and quality of work.
Offer to re-shoot if she pays again.
completely agree with Dennis Hammer.

ChrisVLinton.com (external link)
DFYNEfitnessmag.com (external link) - Fitness, Health, Glamour, Lifestyle for Women 40+
Become a Fan on Facebook (external link)
Follow me on Twitter (external link) and Instagram (external link) and Blog (external link) at Tumblr (external link)
My Gearlist

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 23, 2009 12:07 |  #13

shooterman wrote in post #9067196 (external link)
models + drinking = hot naked pics

:p

That's why sticking around may be worth it

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Nov 23, 2009 12:51 |  #14

and you need is for her to get pissed and tell a cop you shot when she was drunk. It's too close to date rape. I'd have run away screaming. My judgement in that situation might prove better in the long run than hers.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

jstrattonphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 23, 2009 14:20 |  #15

Date rape? I am a woman and there were 5 other women there the whole time. I actually personally know ALL of these girls. I am just totally disappointed in the whole situation and not sure how to approach her now. She DID email an apology for getting too tipsy but she still seems to think that the pictures will come out.

11,549 views & 0 likes for this thread
drunk model, WWYD?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.