Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 19:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Geotagging/trip recording

slappy ­ sam
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2009 19:21 |  #1

I want a geotagger type device with a few characteristics.

1. I want it to use google earth, no other crappy software.

2. I want it to be able to easily integrate with my raw files so that I can see where photos were taken on google earth.

3. I would like it to be able to record trips. For example, today I drove around random roads along the coast, I want this thing to record that so I can see exactly which roads I went down, how far I went, where I turned, etc. I would like it to plot this in google earth similarly to how google maps shows you a directions map (that thick red line from one point to another).

I'm looking at this: http://www.buygpsnow.c​om …-of-Free-Mount)__972.aspx (external link) and it actually looks like this unit will interface using bluetooth so that I could theoretically bring my laptop and have a real time gps on google earth. If this is correct, then this is a huge feature for me. However, reviews on this device say the software is poor.

I really want solid software, and I want this to be very automated. I don't know exactly how something like this http://www.engadget.co​m …nks-down-adds-mac-and-ra/ (external link) differs from the trip recorders I'm looking at.

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

slappy ­ sam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,452 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Nov 21, 2009 19:32 |  #2

Is there any geotagger that will simply go straight to/work with google earth, or do they all have some form of crappy software

40D|10-20|17-50|70-200|580ex
FS: XT with 2 OEM batteries

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Nov 22, 2009 08:29 |  #3

FWIW I use Downloader Pro and Breezebrowser Pro from Breeze Systems (external link). Downloader Pro can read the .gpx track directly from my Garmin Oregon or nĂ¼vi and geotag JPG or CR2 images as I download them; BreezeBrowser Pro lets me use Google Earth to geotag photos for which I don't have a GPS track available, and also can generate a Google Earth track log file from your GPS track file. It also reads GPS .nmea or .log format track files used by other GPS makers. And I wouldn't call either Downloader Pro or BreezeBrowser Pro "crappy software". Just remember that your track is only as good as the GPS signal your receiver gets. With signal obstructions or bad weather, your track file may put you significant distances off any road. Google Earth has real-time and historical display of Garmin track data as an option, too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 22, 2009 09:30 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #4

I use a Wintec G-Rays II GPS logger.

http://www.amazon.com …ous&qid=1258902​910&sr=8-2 (external link)

This unit will track your route and record data points on your location at about 1 second intervals. It can communicate with your computer by Bluetooth (assuming your computer has that feature) and download a .gpx file, which you can plug directly into Google Earth. There are other units, of course, and it is merely a question of which one has the features you want. I like the GRays because it is about the size of a matchbox and fits in a pocket easily. Bluetooth connectivity is easy and reliable too.

Although the unit comes with software, it is PC only and I am using a iMac. As you realize, software is crucial for the interface and unfortunately you have to use something to tag the photo files. The software is the key to making geotagging work well. For my use, I like HoudahGeo and HoudahGPS. HoudahGeo is used for tagging your photos. HoudahGPS is freeware and simply downloads the .gpx file from your data logger which you can plug into Google Earth to see your route. It also can convert the .gpx file to a .kml file which is the native file requirement for Google Earth (not necessary though. I use the downloaded .gpx file with Google Earth and it works fine).

http://www.houdah.com/​houdahGeo/ (external link)

http://www.houdah.com/​houdahGPS/ (external link)

The HoudahGeo software is quite good and allows you to tag the RAW files with lat/long/altitude data from the data logger (I'm using Apple's Aperture). I do this all the time with my setup. Works great. If you use a Mac, these products are worth a look.

Good luck.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

ace3
60 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 23, 2009 21:17 |  #5

i use a Sony GPS-CS1, and import the data into GPicSync. It will output the data to a kmz file so you can import it into Google Earth.

and, it's one of Google's code projects.

http://code.google.com​/p/gpicsync/ (external link)

A.C.
40D + Grip
EF 50/1.8 | EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 | EF 24-70/2.8L | EF-S 17-85/4-5.6 IS | EF 70-200/4L IS | 580EX II | 420EX
GPS-CS1 GPS

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,659 views & 0 likes for this thread
Geotagging/trip recording
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.