Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 25, 2009 06:21 |  #16

PMCphotography wrote in post #9077194 (external link)
I think, quite honestly, they are the stupidest things to to have setup at a wedding. I think it's gimmicky and i think the photographer who sets one up would be much better served watching for natural interactions between the guests at the wedding and capturing those. I'll leave the gimmicky/novelty sideshow (no matter how many "extra dollars" it would make me) to others and concentrate on getting shots of the bride and groom and their guests NOT acting like drunken jackasses. I'm sure friends will get plenty of those later on their point and shoots.

I would guess that you havent shot that many weddings? Maybe when you have more experience you will be able to see the logical space a photo booth fits into during the wedding day. It doesnt have to be gimmicky or detract from coverage of the bride and groom, its just an addition to the days coverage that in my experience many bride and grooms enjoy having.

I dont think any B&G are gonna hire a wedding photographer based soley on them offering a photo booth but its an added extra that is another hook to get people to book you in the same way that good albums or other things you offer additional to the photos are.

Everyone is entitled to their own opnion of course but I think yours is being formed too quickly.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Nov 25, 2009 06:30 |  #17

I think they're great. I've setup a home made one for some events (I don't do weddings) and they are always a big hit with the guests and they're a very profitable money maker for me.

I think you're just being really too sensitive and I agree, when you get more experience, you'll be happy to accommodate your customers however they wish and realize that money is money. Your quality and standards, and even reputation have nothing to do with it.

I'd rather not be known as the stodgy old photographer that is stuck in their ways. I'd rather be on the cutting edge and using techniques and tools to make money.

But, more power to you I guess.

Billo78
351 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 25, 2009 07:02 |  #18

I also think a photo booth is a great idea, if you're shooting a wedding of a decent size there's no way you can get a photo of every guest, by setting up something like this the end result is the couple has a photographic record of everyone at their wedding that they can look back and laugh at in years to come. I would look to run it as a complementary optional add on, so I'd do my usual stuff throughout the day and have this as something different. Hypothetical numbers, but if you charge the couple $500for the booth which get them all the digital photos and a big poster with everyone on it and you pay an assistant $200 to set up and man all day that's $300 in the back pocket you otherwise wouldn't have got and the couple is thrilled with the result. If they don't think it's a classy thing for their wedding then they don't book it, no big deal.

Photography Blog (external link)
Adelaide Based Wedding Photographer (external link)

Gear: 5D2, 40D, 580 EX II, 430 EX II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 18-200 OS

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2009 07:28 |  #19

PMCphotography wrote in post #9078571 (external link)
Well, there's a local photographer who does one at every wedding, and he's known as "the photo booth guy..."

I'd rather not be known as that.

What ARE you known as, then?

This space for rent.

bdicustoms
118 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Nov 25, 2009 07:45 as a reply to  @ mattograph's post |  #20

I helped out at a wedding and did a photo booth and it was a pretty big hit!

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2491/4132886413_a016043c56.jpg

Ex NBA D-League photographer, Wedding Cinematographer
Gear: 5D Mark III, 70D, 60D, C100, and many lenses!

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 25, 2009 07:46 |  #21

I went to a wedding in Scotland last year.

The photographer took a photo of every couple as they were "introduced" to the B&G going in to the reception.

Later on you went & looked at your photo and they printed it there & then if you wanted.

£10 for 10x8.

At a guess they sold 90 photos.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2009 08:04 |  #22

bigrob wrote in post #9078991 (external link)
I went to a wedding in Scotland last year.

The photographer took a photo of every couple as they were "introduced" to the B&G going in to the reception.

Later on you went & looked at your photo and they printed it there & then if you wanted.

£10 for 10x8.

At a guess they sold 90 photos.

Bah. No one wants to be known as the guy that makes an extra 900 quid, do they?

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

RT ­ McAllister
THREAD ­ STARTER
973 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 25, 2009 08:32 |  #23

PMCphotography wrote in post #9077194 (external link)
I think, quite honestly, they are the stupidest things to to have setup at a wedding.

Well, so is the chicken dance but you still see it whether you want to or not. :lol:

I think it's gimmicky and i think the photographer who sets one up would be much better served watching for natural interactions between the guests at the wedding and capturing those.

There is nothing natural about a wedding day - it's all scripted by the clergy, DJ and you.

and concentrate on getting shots of the bride and groom and their guests NOT acting like drunken jackasses.

Man... your gigs must resemble funerals. :D

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2009 09:14 |  #24

TheHoff wrote in post #9079050 (external link)
Bah. No one wants to be known as the guy that makes an extra 900 quid, do they?

Or the creative guy.

Or the fun guy.

Or the guy that gave Crazy Cousin Elliott something to do besides staring at the brides breast all night.

This space for rent.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 25, 2009 11:12 |  #25

PCMphotography, what stops you from watching the action and the bride and groom? I think everyone here is in agreement that you hire someone else to shoot it; your assistant, your second photographer, or best friend. With this they idea that dont have to have the best equipment to make the photos turn out great. Give them a Canon XS, even a kit lens, put it in manual and set it all up yourself. Dont let them change any of the settings and shoot in jpg. Seems like you can get pretty great pics as an addition, and it wont cost you much at all.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

DavidGee
35 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 25, 2009 11:16 as a reply to  @ Red Tie Photography's post |  #26

PMCphotography wrote in post #9078354 (external link)
Why not? because I'd rather be known for the strength of my photographs than "that guy who does the photo booths"...

I don't think Nate Kaiser is known as "that guy who does the photo booths".

5Dc x2, 35L, 50L, 135L

AlexMoPhotography
531 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 25, 2009 11:37 |  #27

I would definitely LOVE to have a photo booth like that at my next large wedding.

Anyone recommend a good quality fast printer?

You guys should check out StudioATG; they are the MASTERS of photobooth funness. These photos actually ADD to the "strength of their photos."

http://www.studioatgbl​og.com …cfm?q=photo+boo​th&x=0&y=0 (external link)

Laaaas Vegas Wedding Photography - Alex Mo Photography (external link)
New Blog ---> The Alex Mo Photography Blog! (external link) <-- ;)

JRB
457 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Nov 25, 2009 12:04 |  #28

RT McAllister wrote in post #9079175 (external link)
Well, so is the chicken dance but you still see it whether you want to or not. :lol:

There is nothing natural about a wedding day - it's all scripted by the clergy, DJ and you.

Man... your gigs must resemble funerals. :D

Now there's an idea....How about a photo booth at funerals to lighten things up a bit!:lol:

JR

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 25, 2009 12:11 |  #29

JRB wrote in post #9080397 (external link)
Now there's an idea....How about a photo booth at funerals to lighten things up a bit!:lol:

I like it. 9 ft seamless behind the casket, lots of uplighting. What a hoot! :)

This space for rent.

KIP
74 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 25, 2009 12:51 as a reply to  @ mattograph's post |  #30

Speaking as a former bride here, I think they're a great way to get memorable photos of your guests. Candids are good, but so many in my album are awkward shots of friends mid-sentence as they spent time catching up with each other.

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6166215&post​count=1334

sponsored links

46,382 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.