Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 26, 2009 10:28 |  #46

PMCphotography wrote in post #9082534 (external link)
I think it's a question of adopting a gimmick for the short term gain of making a few extra dollars Vs. Investing in your vision and your brand- by investing in my brand I can gain clients that are excited about my the kind of photography I do, and know what to expect from me when they book me.

The gimmicky, novelty road isn't for me.

You can say an idea is not for you with dismissing the idea as a "gimmick" or a "novelty", can't you?

You talk a lot about "building your brand" and "gaining clients". But your strategy seems to be more about telling your customers what they need, not asking them what they want.

If one of your perspective clients asked you if you do photo booths, would you look them in the eye and tell them, "No. I think its a gimmick. I would rather be known for my superior images."

I doubt it. Because here's the real truth. There are probably 25 or 50 guys in your market that take images as good or better than yours. And if they offer the client more value, or more importantly WHAT THEY WANT, they will get the job.

I wish I had more competition like you.

This space for rent.

sponsored links
PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 26, 2009 17:32 |  #47

mattograph wrote in post #9086088 (external link)
If one of your perspective clients asked you if you do photo booths, would you look them in the eye and tell them, "No. I think its a gimmick. I would rather be known for my superior images."

I doubt it. Because here's the real truth. There are probably 25 or 50 guys in your market that take images as good or better than yours. And if they offer the client more value, or more importantly WHAT THEY WANT, they will get the job.

I wish I had more competition like you.

Yes, I would.

Would i use that exact wording? Maybe, maybe not- depends on the couple i'm talking to.

When prospective clients first enquire about me, I make it quite clear the style of photography i offer and what they can expect from me. You're right, there are lots of other photographers around, and if what they want is something i'm not prepared to offer, I have no problems referring them to other photographers i know who do the style they would like.

Case in point? Just yesterday i had a call from a prospective client who wanted ultra slick, bridal magazine style shots. I told her that's not the style of photography I do, and gave the name of a team locally who does do that sort of thing. I get referrals from other photogs, they get them from me. It's not all about competition.

I'd would rather have clients excited about what I offer and who buy into the style and philosophy of how I work, than do things I don't want to do and take clients who i'm not excited about photographing their wedding day just for the sake of making a few dollars.

But your strategy might be different.

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

PMCphotography
Goldmember
1,775 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 26, 2009 17:37 |  #48

jonwhite wrote in post #9084840 (external link)
Fair enough, sorry I got the impression from your portfolio that you had done about half a dozen, maybe it just needs updating.

My online portfolio does need updating. Almost all (90%) my business is generated from word of mouth- one of the advantages of living on a small, isolated island. I have several coffee table books of my work that sort of float around- clients will ask to show them to their friends, etc- since a lot of times, that's how they found me.

It works :D

Twitter (external link)
Hobart Wedding Photography (external link)
I have some camera stuff. Here it is.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 26, 2009 17:50 |  #49

PMCphotography wrote in post #9087746 (external link)
Yes, I would.

Would i use that exact wording? Maybe, maybe not- depends on the couple i'm talking to.

When prospective clients first enquire about me, I make it quite clear the style of photography i offer and what they can expect from me. You're right, there are lots of other photographers around, and if what they want is something i'm not prepared to offer, I have no problems referring them to other photographers i know who do the style they would like.

Case in point? Just yesterday i had a call from a prospective client who wanted ultra slick, bridal magazine style shots. I told her that's not the style of photography I do, and gave the name of a team locally who does do that sort of thing. I get referrals from other photogs, they get them from me. It's not all about competition.

I'd would rather have clients excited about what I offer and who buy into the style and philosophy of how I work, than do things I don't want to do and take clients who i'm not excited about photographing their wedding day just for the sake of making a few dollars.

But your strategy might be different.

I think you are confusing product with style. A photo booth is not part of you style -- its a product. Like an album, or a framed print.

This space for rent.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 26, 2009 17:58 |  #50

Time to drop this I think. Paul thinks it's a bad idea, and everyone else likes it or at least sees benefits. I think we need to agree to disagree and move on.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 26, 2009 18:03 |  #51

tim wrote in post #9087844 (external link)
Time to drop this I think. Paul thinks it's a bad idea, and everyone else likes it or at least sees benefits. I think we need to agree to disagree and move on.

Thats no fun .

This space for rent.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 27, 2009 10:22 |  #52

Wow I am so out of touch. I have never even heard of a booth, let alone saw one. :lol:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2009 10:27 |  #53

cdifoto wrote in post #9091043 (external link)
Wow I am so out of touch. I have never even heard of a booth, let alone saw one. :lol:

Try one out at your next party at home -- loads of fun. If it is among friends, no one has to man it. I leave my laptop in front of the booth so they can hit the spacebar for a 2-second self timer (or the wireless remote) and then see the photo as it comes up through the tether.

IMAGE: http://i25.tinypic.com/n48db4.jpg

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 27, 2009 10:29 |  #54

I might give it a go. It looks like a blast!

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2009 10:38 |  #55

Never heard of a booth? (external link)

But seriously folks. A question to you wedding shooters out there. Would you hire a guy as a sub who did nothing but wedding booths?

This space for rent.

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2009 11:00 |  #56

mattograph wrote in post #9091118 (external link)
Never heard of a booth? (external link)

But seriously folks. A question to you wedding shooters out there. Would you hire a guy as a sub who did nothing but wedding booths?

Yup. Especially if you had your own printer, a few backdrops, etc. If you had the whole deal with camera, lights, and it was just turnkey... great. But would you want a flat fee or would you want to do the print sales? If you're doing the print sales then you should pay me for the privilege :) but I see how that model could work, too. I guess it all depends how much equip. you're bringing and if I have to do anything at all as to what the price would be.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

KIP
74 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Nov 27, 2009 11:08 |  #57

TheHoff wrote in post #9091061 (external link)
Try one out at your next party at home -- loads of fun.

Nice! I was totally thinking about trying this out at some upcoming holiday parties. I like the idea of having a laptop nearby so they can see the results. Camera fun time! :cool:

https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6166215&post​count=1334

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 27, 2009 11:34 |  #58

TheHoff wrote in post #9091228 (external link)
Yup. Especially if you had your own printer, a few backdrops, etc. If you had the whole deal with camera, lights, and it was just turnkey... great. But would you want a flat fee or would you want to do the print sales? If you're doing the print sales then you should pay me for the privilege :) but I see how that model could work, too. I guess it all depends how much equip. you're bringing and if I have to do anything at all as to what the price would be.

It would have to be turnkey. Personally, I could shoot tomorrow with my lastolite hilite, which I think is perfectly suited to this kind of thing.

That is an interesting question, the marketing of it all. Do you sub yourself out to the shooter? Do you print onsite, or do you pass all your images to the WP for inclusion in his presentation, giving him resale rights?

Would you do video too? Would the videographer want your head? Could you sub your services to the VG? Would the WP want your head?

Do you sell yourself like a separate service directly to the couple?

This space for rent.

bigrob
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 27, 2009 11:46 |  #59

TheHoff wrote in post #9091061 (external link)
I leave my laptop in front of the booth so they can hit the spacebar for a 2-second self timer (or the wireless remote) and then see the photo as it comes up through the tether.

Can you please explain a bit more how you set this up?

It sounds like a great idea & I'd like to try it.

Thanks

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 27, 2009 13:10 |  #60

I did this last night at thanksgiving dinner. I had a black backdrop that i borrowed from a studio and it turned out real fun. I got some great pictures of my grandparents and everything and it was awesome.

What sort of backdrop do you recommend for this? And what color? THis is something i am really interested in doing.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

46,489 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.