Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Nov 2009 (Thursday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My 7D isn't brand new?

this thread is locked
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:10 |  #46

lancebroad wrote in post #9089142 (external link)
We will wait and see once I recieve the file and check the shutter count :)

oh we cant celebrate yet? lol :p

David W.

sponsored links
rakesh
225 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 26, 2009 23:12 |  #47

Canonboi,

The best solution what I also take is whenever you want to use a CF card whether it is new or used one, I format it using the Card reader. Then copy some files from my system and then re-format it in Card reader.

Finally I insert the card in the camera and perform another format and it always start with the counter Camera has stored in it irrespective of what was the counter on CF Crd earlier.

Try it once.

Gears:
My WildLife Gallery :
http://www.justwildlif​e.com (external link)
My Kids Project Galleries : http://www.facebook.co​m …otography/15851​1907574485 (external link)

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 26, 2009 23:13 |  #48

OP, have you sent a file yet?

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:14 |  #49

@Lance I just sent you the pic, man. Thanks for the time. Please let us know what you think.

Gear: Canon EOS 7D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 430EXII, Kata 3N1-20

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:17 |  #50

rakesh wrote in post #9089155 (external link)
Canonboi,

The best solution what I also take is whenever you want to use a CF card whether it is new or used one, I format it using the Card reader. Then copy some files from my system and then re-format it in Card reader.

Finally I insert the card in the camera and perform another format and it always start with the counter Camera has stored in it irrespective of what was the counter on CF Crd earlier.

Try it once.

I'd love to do what you're suggesting but I don't have a card reader (imagine the horror of transferring my photos from the camera to the comp using only USB, hahaha). But I will buy that for sure.

I'm using the "continuous" numbering on my camera so that I know how many shots I've taken already. It's handy during Lightroom sessions, or maybe it's just me.

Thanks again.

Gear: Canon EOS 7D, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 430EXII, Kata 3N1-20

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:19 |  #51

canonnoob wrote in post #9089146 (external link)
oh we cant celebrate yet? lol :p

Too close to call, man. Let's wait for lance to examine the file I sent him.

lancebroad
396 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Nov 26, 2009 23:20 |  #52

gimme a sec, cancount wont work, just realised its only 1d software, ill find another program to check it, and ill let you know!

Canon 6D | Canon 7D | Canon 5D mkII | 14L MK II | 24-70L | 70-200 f/2.8L | 100-400L | 400L f/2.8 | Zenitor 15mm | 580EX II |
http://facebook.com/la​nceb.avgeek (external link)

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:26 |  #53

FL PHOTO wrote in post #9089126 (external link)
The shutter count on the battery info menu does reset when the battery is recharged. This number is simply the # of actuations on the current battery.

it is the # of photos taken with the current battery after it has been charged or the charge that it is on.... meaning if you take 800 photos, take the battery out charge it then put it back in it will show zero... so when he charged the battery for the first time... it reset to zero clicks....

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

deadpass
Goldmember
3,353 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Nov 26, 2009 23:27 |  #54

Canonboi wrote in post #9088958 (external link)
I just wanted to hear if this is a common phenomenon or not.

Yes, it is very common for someone to put a CF in card in a new camera that has been used in another camera and then freaking out thinking they bought a used instead of new camera. If you're really concerned, take it back and get another. I know you just spend some hard earned cash on that body and you want it to be perfect. In the grand sceme of things tho 10k shots isn't gonna matter much, and a new shutter is like 250 bucks if it fails outside of warranty. My mkIIn has 193k and it's still truckin a long just fine.

a camera
http://www.deadpass.co​m (external link)

SteveJa
Goldmember
2,137 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:31 |  #55

Canonboi wrote in post #9088912 (external link)
Dude the card isn't used. The card is brand new! The camera is supposed to be brand new!

if the card is / was new then I would have to say yes that there is 9800 + clicks on the camera.....

Zenfolio (external link)
Flickr (external link)
FineArtAmerica (external link)

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:34 |  #56

SteveJa wrote in post #9089242 (external link)
it is the # of photos taken with the current battery after it has been charged or the charge that it is on.... meaning if you take 800 photos, take the battery out charge it then put it back in it will show zero... so when he charged the battery for the first time... it reset to zero clicks....

That's exactly what I'm talking about. So the menu that was posted here about the Battery Info is not the proper way to really know the total actuation of your camera. AFAIK, you can tell how many shots a camera has fired by how its naming your photos. For example, _MG_9831.cr2 or something. And obviously, that's 9,831 shots already. Again, you can tell that if you're using "Continuous" file numbering.

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:35 |  #57

I think the overall theme here is.. if you are that self conscious about it then take it back and get another..

David W.

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
30,454 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Nov 26, 2009 23:35 |  #58

Just to clarify, the very first shot taken with the camera was with this brand new card? There wasn't a card used in the camera in the shop to test it or something? Because that card could've caused the numbering you see, even if it was used just once.

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitter (external link) | Tunbridge Wells (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:39 |  #59

deadpass wrote in post #9089255 (external link)
Yes, it is very common for someone to put a CF in card in a new camera that has been used in another camera and then freaking out thinking they bought a used instead of new camera. If you're really concerned, take it back and get another. I know you just spend some hard earned cash on that body and you want it to be perfect. In the grand sceme of things tho 10k shots isn't gonna matter much, and a new shutter is like 250 bucks if it fails outside of warranty. My mkIIn has 193k and it's still truckin a long just fine.

Oh is it? Poor guy! Imagine the card was used in another camera then puts it in the new one and freaks out and yells at people in the Canon forums because the camera is not new after all! Poor, poor guy.

But then, look:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i968.photobucke​t.com …e170/onthe7d/IM​G_5793.jpg (external link)

The card that I'm using is BRAND NEW as well. It's the Sandisk at the left. Felt sorry for the guy you're talking about.

Canonboi
THREAD ­ STARTER
378 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Nov 26, 2009 23:46 |  #60

Anke wrote in post #9089295 (external link)
Just to clarify, the very first shot taken with the camera was with this brand new card? There wasn't a card used in the camera in the shop to test it or something? Because that card could've caused the numbering you see, even if it was used just once.

As far as I can remember, yes, the salesman inserted a used card (the one they're using for demos in the shop) in my camera when I tested it. Is it even remotely possible? That's a sincere question. Please tell me it's possible and then maybe, just maybe, I'll shut up already.

But take a look at this file that I sent to Lance. I'm using my brand new card, but the file numbering is still there?

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i968.photobucke​t.com …he7d/_MG_9831_r​esized.jpg (external link)

EXIF is intact. And you can tell it by the file name. Something like _MG_9831.jpg. What gives?

sponsored links

24,238 views & 0 likes for this thread
My 7D isn't brand new?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.