Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Nov 2009 (Saturday) 09:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting a wedding, do I bring a bag?

Headshotzx
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2009 09:07 |  #1

Hey guys,

So anyway, I'm shooting a wedding next Sunday in the wee hours of the morning. It's a contemporary Chinese wedding, so it starts at about 5am shooting the MUA's and stuff doing their work. Then it drags on till about 4pm for the reception, and in between I'm gonna be driven by one of the bridegroom's brothers 4 times around Singapore (short distances) to various ceremonial locations.

I'll be using my cotton carrier with 2 x 1 series bodies and 2 zooms on them, and my think tank steroid speed belt will have on the following:

Lens Changer 20 - for 50 1.4 / 17-40L
Lightning Fast - 580EXII + CP-E3
Chimp Cage - 1 Series Batteries, energy bar
Lowepro Bottle Bag - Bottle

Here's a question - Do you think I should bring a bag? I mean - my dad graciously agreed to ferry me to the starting location, and I'll be basically shooting with 2 cameras 3 lenses + flash and accessories. The only bag I have is a Think Tank Airport Takeoff roller, but I can borrow other stuff. I'm thinking the bag might become a hassle.

Can borrow bags like some domke copies (Safrotto), crumpler 6mdh etc.

Also, I'll probably be switching the 17-40 with the 50 1.4 only. Do you think I should be bringing my think tank whip-it-out to carry the 70-200? It's a "just in case" thing that means more bulk on me especially if I'm going bagless.

Need some advice!

Cheers,
Zexun

Zexun | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) |

sponsored links
Citizensmith
Cream of the Crop
6,386 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2004

Nov 28, 2009 10:16 |  #2

Will the bridegroom's brother let you leave the bag in the back of his car? Would it be safe there? If so, it may mean things are reasonably accessible should you really decide you need them. I'll quite often keep extras in my trunk just in case.

My POTN Gallery, Complete gear list,
Tradition - Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 28, 2009 10:29 |  #3

Yup, I probably can leave it in the car trunk, and I can lock up the bag and trust that they don't drive off with it after the shoot. But in that sense, I don't know what else I'd need to bring. Lenspen can go into my chimp cage, bounce card in chimp cage or in use. I don't use mobile data copying devices etc.

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 28, 2009 13:34 |  #4

keep it simple. if you can, bring a reflector.

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Nov 28, 2009 21:54 |  #5

I carry 2 bags to weddings, but I have a ton of gear and helpers. Bring the bag. It's good to have a place for the incidentals.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 29, 2009 02:05 |  #6

How's about a small thin backpack that can fit A4 stuff and other necessities like food, raincovers, umbrellas etc? Better than a camera bag? All my friends have are shoulder bags which would prevent me from using my chimp cage and belt pouches effectively.

canondslr
940 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 29, 2009 02:36 |  #7

the simpler the better when you do wedding.
if you can put your stuff in the trunk, i think you can bring a bag large enough to put everything on it, and just bring stuff you need for specific location when you shoot.

btw I love singapore (got married over there) and know enough place over there, where are you gonna shoot ?

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Nov 29, 2009 02:44 |  #8

canondslr wrote in post #9100184 (external link)
the simpler the better when you do wedding.
if you can put your stuff in the trunk, i think you can bring a bag large enough to put everything on it, and just bring stuff you need for specific location when you shoot.

btw I love singapore (got married over there) and know enough place over there, where are you gonna shoot ?

Yeah I see.

I'm shooting a chinese wedding, so it'll just be between 4 houses (bride's house, bridegroom's house, their new house, relative's house) and one lunch area, so it's all urban settings. We're gonna do some high-way shooting as well, so that's a first for me and should be fun.

vii_haven
74 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 29, 2009 07:05 |  #9

I normally transport my gear in my TT Airport Takeoff, then take out my Boda bag (with 70-200 2.8IS, 580EXII, with bottle OR 50 1.4, and the usual wallet, iphone, namecards, spare batteries, spare CF cards, Lenspen, pen, paper etc) to use when actually shooting the event. Very rarely do i use the 50 1.4, mainly shoot with the 24-70 and 70-200 with my 5D Mark II.

I cannot live without my Boda. Haha. I sold my Boda, not knowing that the Boda V3 was going to be delayed, so now i'm living without anything and I do feel a little queer.

ThomGascoigne
820 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 14, 2009 23:03 |  #10

I just did my first wedding on the weekend. I had a bag with me at all times holding spare body and 3 lenses. I also had another bag in my car close by with other items.

Would have to strongly recommend you have a bag with you at all times. When the action is happening you need to be able to change lenses as quick as you can. I found carrying the smallest amount of gear with me is also a good idea, If you don't think you will use something don't take it with you. Water is a very good idea!

5D MK II | 20D | 14 F/2.8L II | 24-70 F/2.8L | 70-200 F/2.8L IS | [FONT="Arial Black"]28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580 EX II
Gear List

Headshotzx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,488 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 15, 2009 06:19 |  #11

Yeap. In the end, I did the following:

Cotton Carrier with:
1) 1Ds2 + 17-40L / 50 1.4
2) 1D2N + 85 1.2L MK1 (swap with 70-200 for the lunch)

Think Tank Steroid Speed Belt with:
Chimp Cage - either the 17-40 or 50 1.4 when not in use + spare batt
Lightning Fast - 580EXII and CP-E3
Bottle Bag (lowepro) - Water Bottle

My normal slim profile eastpak backpack with:
70-200 with hood in Think Tank Whip It Out
Rocket blower
Umbrella
Spare bottle
Meds & Snack bar

When shooting in their houses, the bag was stashed in a corner where I could keep an eye on it while I shot. For the wedding lunch itself, the videographer and I managed to have the staff set up a table for us right next to the stage where we placed our gear and was offered food (because we were kids doing jobs ;)).

The wedding went well, and I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Indeed it would have been a disaster if I didn't bring a small backpack for my other stuff.

Cheers
Zexun

sponsored links

1,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting a wedding, do I bring a bag?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.