Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D IQ/High ISO test

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 01, 2009 14:05 |  #1

I recently got to shoot with my buddy's 7D. So I put it through its paces.

First, here are some sample images for you to chew on from the test setup. The camera was mounted to a tripod and fired with a remote release. The images were shot in RAW and exported through DPP with default settings to JPG. No editing was done except where noted (cropping or sharpening).

ISO 100:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

ISO 800:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 1600:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 3200:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 6400:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List

sponsored links
tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 01, 2009 14:05 |  #2

Here are some high ISO pixel peeping crops from the 7D.

ISO 100 for a baseline:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 800:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 1600:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 3200:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

ISO 6400:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

...and for grins ISO 12800:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 01, 2009 14:13 |  #3

Here's a shot of the can so you can see the text. This first crop has no sharpening applied. I should also mention the lens used on the 7D was a 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This shot has 80% unsharp mask applied in CS3 (1.0 radius / 0 threshold):
IMAGE NOT FOUND

For comparison I shot the same test scene with my 5D Mark II. Here's a crop from the 5D2 of the same can. This is out of camera and not sharpened:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The same image sharpened with the same settings as above for the 7D:
IMAGE NOT FOUND

The 5D2 images are noticeably sharper than the 7D images. The lens used on the 5D2 was a 24-70 f/2.8L.

Gear List

AllenF
231 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 01, 2009 14:39 |  #4

There is a added dose of softness to the 7D over the 5D for sure. I think the 7D will need more work in PP to get it closer. The 7D also lacks in the overall contrast too. Again more work in PP will yield better final results.

Owning the 50D now and looking at 7D IQ comparisons with a little PP the 50D is very close so I see no need to move to the 7D on IQ alone. Feature set? Now that is a whole other can of worms :).

I think I will wait for the 3D or 5DmkIII with the AF of the 7d in FF. I just hope it will not cost near the 1DmkIV. I also hope Canon does not muck it up with a gazillion pixels and there goes the IQ that makes the 5DmkII such a special body. Time will tell.

Noticed that the lenses were different. I would say try the L lens on both. This may be one reason the 5DmkII looks sharper and more 3D than the 7D. Try to keep everything the same except the body. L glass comes at a cost for a reason. ;)

7D, 20D, G10, T90, A-1, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 500D, 2 ea Canon 580 ex, Canon ST-E2, Velbon El Carmagne 630 Carbon fiber tripod with an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, Acratech Leveling Base, Velbon Carbon Fiber SHERPA PRO POD NEO POD 8, Tons of RRS plates and quick release mounts, and flash stands diffusors and back drops, ETC...

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 01, 2009 15:02 |  #5

The 17-55 f/2.8 is an extremely popular lens for 1.6 bodies and is by most peoples accounts L quality, but Canon won't put the L moniker on an EF-S lens.

As a side note, the 24-70 f/2.8L isn't exactly known for its extreme sharpness. The 24-105 f/4 is sharper and has fewer reported problems. If anything, the 17-55 f/2.8 is every bit as sharp as a good copy of the 24-70.

:D

Gear List

Replaces
Goldmember
1,079 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 01, 2009 15:54 |  #6

seems like some of the images are slightely differently exposed... did you put your lens on MF?
anyways, good to see some usable 3200s except that... DR is slacking.

"If you don't walk today, you have to run tomorrow."
Nikon, then Canon, then Nikon again. But I still love POTN over NikonCafe. :p

Nikon D90, MB-D80, Nikon D600, MB-D14, Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G, Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

Panopeeper
774 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 01, 2009 16:45 |  #7

Replaces wrote in post #9116380 (external link)
anyways, good to see some usable 3200s except that... DR is slacking.

Do you mind to explain what that means?

Gabor

braidkid
371 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 01, 2009 17:08 as a reply to  @ Panopeeper's post |  #8

Good test Tharmsen.

I did similar tests with the 7D and 40D with the same lens and found there was negligible difference between the two at 3200 ISO. That doesn't seem to be the same experience for a lot of folks here but it's what I saw. Seems to me the ISO noise may appear less due to smaller pixels but it's still just as prevalent at the pixel level. I can try and post the files here later...

5Dii, 16-35 f4L, 50f1.4, 580ex II, 430ex II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/braidkid/ (external link)

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 01, 2009 17:14 |  #9

tharmsen wrote in post #9115555 (external link)
The 5D2 images are noticeably sharper than the 7D images.

Congratulations! You came to the correct verdict! But I could have told you that without all the cropping of teddy bears and tin cans.:p

If you must know...

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 01, 2009 17:16 as a reply to  @ Jethro790's post |  #10

Ooops, I mean monkeys!

If you must know...

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,459 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 01, 2009 17:26 |  #11

Why not just use the 24-70 on both bodies, if you had both bodies and lenses available? Micro adjust that lens for both bodies then run the test, it would remove one factor. Just curious more than anything.

btw, now I am hungry for ravioli, not the Chef Boyardee kind but the real stuff!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 01, 2009 17:41 |  #12

I had about 30 minutes to conduct my tests, so I didn't have the luxury of time. I would have also liked to have shot the same scene using JPEG with various levels of NR applied in body. Perhaps I'll get that opportunity at some point.

This isn't a test of the lens as much as it's a test of the ISO capabilities of the 7D. The 17-55 is a exceptionally sharp lens so I doubt using the 24-70 on it would have changed the outcome of the sharpness test images. The 5D2 images are for reference. There have been a number of blog posts going back and forth about the image sharpness of the 7D and one specifically mentioned the 5D2. So I figured since I owned one, I would toss in the pics for good measure.

I should also note that another poster on another forum gave me some sharpening tips.

Here's the monkey's head sharpened using CS3 and unsharp mask. This time I sharpened the image 500% with a radius of .3 and a threshold of .0. Check this out.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

That's pretty darn sharp compared to the unsharpened version:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,459 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 01, 2009 17:46 |  #13

Yes the 7D requires a bit more than the 40D/50D, the same was true when the 40D was released over the 30D. I wish Canon would leave the AA filter alone, but maybe due to the increased resolution, they had to mess with it again.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 01, 2009 17:47 |  #14

tharmsen wrote in post #9115487 (external link)
The images were shot in RAW and exported through DPP with default settings to JPG. No editing was done except where noted (cropping or sharpening).

In other words, there was NR applied to these images correct?
Just want that cleared up since I am not seeing any color noise in any of the images. I do see the "blotches" that's typical of high ISO images.

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 01, 2009 17:50 |  #15

I have my 7D arriving. we will see how it stacks up against my 5D2. Interesting.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

sponsored links

7,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D IQ/High ISO test
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.