Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Dec 2009 (Tuesday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "What do you think of the micro-adjust option on your camera"
INCREDIBLE! It's a total game changer. It's like I have new lenses!
9.3%
Very Useful. It has saved a lens or two. highly recommended
25.7%
I've used it a couple of times for fine tuning. It's nice
15.5%
I haven't touched it at all yet.
25.2%
I don't have a camera with micro-adjust, but I have a pathological need to answer polls where I have no personal experience. Please check here if this is you.
24.3%

226 voters, 226 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Micro-adjust: is it a game-changer?

mrgooch
Goldmember
3,109 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 01, 2009 14:34 as a reply to  @ post 9115688 |  #16

This is probably the right time to ask. How do you describe what back focusing or front focusing is?

sponsored links
krb
Cream of the Crop
8,818 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Location: Where southern efficiency and northern charm come together

Dec 01, 2009 14:38 |  #17

It's when you press the focus button and the camera blasts out that incredibly loud beep (;)) telling you that it's in focus but when you look at the image on the computer the actual focus plane is in front or behind the subject.

-- Ken
Comment and critique is always appreciated!
Flickr (external link)
Gear list

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,351 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2009 14:40 |  #18

I've tuned up all but two lenses and the MPE-65 is one of them. :) It totally saved my 100-400. I was so pi$$ed off with that lens. Worked 1/2 decent on a XTi, total trash on a 40D and i avoided using to as much as possible. Once tuned on the 50D it became a totally different lens. Sharp and hits focus nearly every shot. Si That one feature turned a $1200 boat anchor into one of my favorite lenses.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2009 14:45 |  #19

I've noticed sharper shots since I dialed in the focus of two lenses with a microadjustment. I use a commercial product to do it, as I could never get the cut-out paper things to work reproducibly.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

blindone
87 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 01, 2009 14:54 |  #20

Maybe a retarded question, but hey... lol

Is it always a problem with the lenses - and NOT with the camera - when it comes to back or front focusing issues??
And does it means that the lens is faulty in any way if there are issues with FF/BF or it could mean that the lens is fine but just not working well with the certain camera??

Thanks.

Wish list

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,351 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 01, 2009 15:03 |  #21

blindone wrote in post #9115908 (external link)
Maybe a retarded question, but hey... lol

Is it always a problem with the lenses - and NOT with the camera - when it comes to back or front focusing issues??
And does it means that the lens is faulty in any way if there are issues with FF/BF or it could mean that the lens is fine but just not working well with the certain camera??

Thanks.

It can be both lens and body. One of the shortcomings of a SLR camera is that the image that will be exposed on the image sensor is not the same image that is used to focus, neither manually nor automatically. If there is any diffeance in the leangth of the light path, from lens to AF sensor and lens and image sensor, the camera will think all is in focus when it is not.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2009 17:59 |  #22

tvphotog wrote in post #9115837 (external link)
I've noticed sharper shots since I dialed in the focus of two lenses with a microadjustment. I use a commercial product to do it, as I could never get the cut-out paper things to work reproducibly.

What do you use? :D

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

S30L28
448 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 01, 2009 18:02 |  #23

gjl711 wrote in post #9115962 (external link)
It can be both lens and body. One of the shortcomings of a SLR camera is that the image that will be exposed on the image sensor is not the same image that is used to focus

I remember my first roll of film that was processed. Man was that a major let down. :(

-Brian

Equipement d'appareil photo
Seller Feedback:1 (external link), 2 (external link), 3 (external link), 4 (external link), 5 (external link)

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 01, 2009 18:05 |  #24

I have it on my 1D Mk111 and intend on using it when i get the time to set up for it...
Anything to improve on focus ..My photography needs all the help it can get...

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 01, 2009 18:12 as a reply to  @ post 9115688 |  #25

AF Micro adjustment was one of the featurs that swayed me towards the 50D instead of the 40D when I upgraded.. I'm glad I did..

My favourite lens, Sigma EX 50-150mm f/2.8 APO is sharp as a tack on my 20D but front focused before I did a some AF Micro adjustment on my 50D.. All is good now. My Canon EF 50mm /1.4 USM also front focused on my 50D.. My three Tamrons are sharp straight out of the box..

It's not a problem with the 50D or the lens alone but the combination of the two..

AF Micro adjustment,,worth its weight in rocking horse s**t!!

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 01, 2009 18:13 |  #26

Think you missed an option in the voting, it does not seem to make the slightest difference, as I have had several cameras with it, and after extensive testing I cannot tell the difference it makes

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

MaDProFF
Goldmember
4,366 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 01, 2009 18:16 |  #27

tvphotog wrote in post #9115837 (external link)

Enlighten me? what is the difference and what is it called, maybe this is where I am going wrong

Photographic Images on Brett Butler (external link) px500 (external link) & Flickr (external link) Some Canon Bodies , few blackish lenses, A dam heavy black one, couple dirty white ones, a 3 legged walking stick, a mono walking stick, and a bag full of rubbish :oops:
And Still Learning all walks of life, & most of all Photography.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 01, 2009 18:19 |  #28

S30L28 wrote in post #9117090 (external link)
What do you use? :D

As long as you ask, LensAlign Pro (external link). It's relatively expensive compared to a paper target. But not compared to a $1000 lens or to soft edges in your shots. And in my hands, it eliminates the soft edges completely and works reproducibly.

I've tried paper targets, followed the directions, got a result back or forward, shot with it, had some improvement but not completely sharp. Tried it again, got a different result, same thing again. With the Lens Align, I got sharp shots. When I bumped by camera one time, I re-checked it, and got the same measurement as the first time, and sharp pics thereafter.

It's worth the money to me. YMMV.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 01, 2009 18:42 |  #29

I played with the adjustments on my 70-200 f/2.8 at a basketball tournament this past weekend. Looking at the images on the LCD at full zoom, I couldn't tell any differences. I tried +5, -5 +10, -10. Finally I went back to zero and forgot all about it.

Unfortunately, I forgot which game (out of 17) I did the test on so now I won't be able to check the images on the PC.

Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Dascro
460 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 01, 2009 19:04 |  #30

MA has made my 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM a much sharper and useful lens.

Dave,
Canon 50D, EFS 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 300 f/4L IS USM, 1.4 extender, Manfrotto Tripod with a 322RC head, enthusiasm and love of outdoors!

sponsored links

5,963 views & 0 likes for this thread
Micro-adjust: is it a game-changer?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.